ADRs?

• I like to reserve my diners in advance

Votes: 157 69.2%
  • I do not like to reserve my diners in advance

Votes: 70 30.8%

• Total voters
After so many visits to WDW that we gave up counting and now living very close to the parks, we are in the no ADR camp. I will say that we do occasionally book an ADR in order to meet friends but in general we go without.

Me personally? I'd be a little upset. Because of my special diet, Disney needs 2 days advance notice that I'm coming, and they can have food for me at almost any table service restaurant. If ADRs were either non-existent or same day only, I'm guessing my options would either be no table service or limited to one or two locations in each park (which is currently the case for me with quick service locations).

That said ... I could see how this would be a much better system for people who don't have my particular special diet. It seems like it would be a lot less hassle for people (no early wakeup and frantic search for that elusive BOG reservation), and everyone has the same chance at an ADR whether you booked 6 months in advance or decided the night before to head over to Disney.

I think the best case scenario (in my opinion) would be to still do ADRs (although maybe not 6 months out), but also hold a significant portion of the restaurant's capacity for same-day reservations (which could be made in the park or at the concierge desk at your Disney resort).
Oh, and maybe also have an annual passholder dining hotline where AP holders can make ADRs same-day without being in the park - so people who have to go to work in the morning can still enjoy a nice dinner at Disney.
I'm not asking for too much, am I?

I love the Adrian system. Spend all day making big decisions at work. It's nice to have all the major decisions made ahead of time for vacation so all we have to do is sit back and enjoy.

Haven't heard the show yet but ADRs going away wouldn't bother us a bit. We don't use them. The last time we made an ADR was a couple of years ago when we had dinner at BOG. Before that, it had probably been 5 years since we had made an ADR. Of course, BOG was also the first table service meal we had eaten at Disney in years. We are a counter service family all the way.

I think the best case scenario (in my opinion) would be to still do ADRs (although maybe not 6 months out),
It all comes to the same end though right? whether it's 6 months or 3 months. If everyone is on the same footing (not like FP+) then the mad rush is the same.

Personally, we only had 1 ADR for my first and only visit, and when I tried to make ARD's during the stay (say, for that night) it was hard (but not having an international phone number made making ADR's in the MDE app harder)

With the dollar the way it is, I fear we wont be able to afford as many table service meals this time around, and I think I'd get sick of the same old burgers over and over (how do you do it @disneysteve?) but I plan to make ADR's for certain places I want to try.

ETA: I voted that I like to, but I think that if there was no such thing as ADR's, then I'd be ok with that too. As long as it wasn't something that some people could reserve in advance and others couldn't.
Even a week in advance would maybe be ok.
And if they went away completely and only able to be booked day of, you'd have to be able to do it on the fly on the MDE app, so AP holders could still do it while not in the park.

When's Jes coming back to Disney?
Jes doesn't know right now.
The AUD is dropping at an unbelievable rate, down to $0.65, so plans are looking bleak.
At this stage it will be mid August, unless Wrestlemania 33 is in Orlando like it's rumoured to be, in which case, we will come in March 17

It all comes to the same end though right? whether it's 6 months or 3 months. If everyone is on the same footing (not like FP+) then the mad rush is the same.

And that's why I think that's its important to have some ADRs available same day. Let the people who like the mad rush reserve in advance (although my saying not 6 months is because I'm one of those people who can rarely book a trip that far in advance). I know that there are some people who like having those plans made in advance so that they don't have to worry about making decisions while they're on vacation. But make sure that there are still some ADRs available for the people who don't want to go through that insanity.
The difference (in my mind) is that the current system almost forces you to deal with the insanity, whereas the system I was proposing gives you the option of dealing with that insanity, but doesn't require it. It's a small difference, but one that may change things for some people.

Then again, I've gotten BOG reservations within 2 weeks of my trip twice, so I probably shouldn't complain...

Personally, we only had 1 ADR for my first and only visit, and when I tried to make ARD's during the stay (say, for that night) it was hard (but not having an international phone number made making ADR's in the MDE app harder)

Use Dreams Unlimited! My travel agent made all my reservations for me so that I didn't have to do any international calling. She didn't even complain when I changed my mind on locations and times 3 times. :D

I'm a planner so I like ADRs, but I would be okay if they were gone too since it would mean a bit of flexibility on the day if we change our mind about which park to go to.

Use Dreams Unlimited! My travel agent made all my reservations for me so that I didn't have to do any international calling. She didn't even complain when I changed my mind on locations and times 3 times. :D

I'm a planner so I like ADRs, but I would be okay if they were gone too since it would mean a bit of flexibility on the day if we change our mind about which park to go to.
Oh no, it was on purpose! Ally (my dreams agent) offered many times, but didn't want Leigh to feel like we were on a schedule.
He knows better now. Lol

I barely use adrs now but if it's going to be some new type of system, it needs to fit that I do not rope drop. It can't be first come first serve to get a reservation that day. That old system was worse for anyone that wasn't a morning person.

I don't know that anything would change other than the time of the rush.....but it would still be a "mad rush".........oh yeah and that rush is going to happen "during" your vacation :oops:. I like the ADR system as it is, maybe I'm in the minority but going to first come first serve doesn't fix anything in my mind. On the podcast today they spoke of how Skipper's Canteen is not taking ADR's right now...............we ate there during Marathon week and only waited about 15 min (btw it was really good :-)). But I believe that was related to it being new and sort of unknown.

Say you did away with the CRT ADR? How would attempting to make the resi on the same day change any of the waiting and chaos? .............and all this occurs during my vacation instead of 6 months prior to my vacation. I just see doing away with ADR's as ADDING stress..............not relieving it.o_O

Doug :goofy:

I prefer it the way it is as others have said it just moves the mad rush to the day you want the ADR. The current system suits us as we mostly book 12 months in advance from the UK( usually the day we get back !)and we are happy to plan our park days in advance, we are rope droppers and afternoon break takers so following a routine is absolutely fine for us.
I actually get a massive kick waiting for my 180 day mark to book my ADR"s and 60 days to book my FP + and looking at them all on my MDE!

Of course not everyone plans months in advance like us and I can see how it is frustrating for those people who want to be more spontaneous, but my world is a better place when I have my Kona Cafe breakfasts and Sci Fi lunches and Via Napoli dinner booked(amongst others!)

With the dollar the way it is, I fear we wont be able to afford as many table service meals this time around, and I think I'd get sick of the same old burgers over and over
Many of the CS meals are actually very tasty & a bit unique for a theme park. I don't eat WDW hamburgers & hot dogs because I can get those anywhere in North America. Some fun & yummy CS venues:
Epcot: Tangierine Cafe, Sunshine Seasons, Cantina de San Angel, Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie, Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe
MK: Columbia Harbour House, Pecos Bills (new menu)
HS: food here is difficult but Starring Rolls OK (I'd get an ADR for Sci-Fi and pay OOP) if I didn't want to take the time to go to the Boardwalk
AK: Flametree BBQ & Harambe Market

At the resorts, some ADR options that are more reasonable & have some atmosphere: Beaches & Cream, Trails End Buffet and Sanaa.

This is something I actually don't mind on either way. I quite like having plans but more often than not I wind up changing them last minute. I think a No ADR system would be alot easier.

Many of the CS meals are actually very tasty & a bit unique for a theme park. I don't eat WDW hamburgers & hot dogs because I can get those anywhere in North America. Some fun & yummy CS venues:
Epcot: Tangierine Cafe, Sunshine Seasons, Cantina de San Angel, Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie, Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe
MK: Columbia Harbour House, Pecos Bills (new menu)
HS: food here is difficult but Starring Rolls OK (I'd get an ADR for Sci-Fi and pay OOP) if I didn't want to take the time to go to the Boardwalk
AK: Flametree BBQ & Harambe Market

At the resorts, some ADR options that are more reasonable & have some atmosphere: Beaches & Cream, Trails End Buffet and Sanaa.

I second this, even CS locations which do the same old Burgers and hot dogs usually seem to do a little something to change it up. Disney is doing well with there CS locations lately.

Yesterday was a bit nutty for me, so I haven't had a chance to listen to the show yet, but I do like having the ability to reserve meals ahead of time. It makes things simpler for me. I'm not sure of the trickle effect no ADRs would have on how I vacation though. If they did away with the system and I'd have to make rope drop every morning just to get an ADR inside a park, I would be extremely unhappy. @WebmasterMike knows I'm not a rope drop person. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter