3 generations...money is no problem...what would you do

formytinkerbelle

Mouseketeer
Our party will be my husband's parents in their 50s, my husband's brother, his wife and their 8 year old, and obviously our family which includes 4 kids, ages 12, 11, 5, and 2. Where would you stay? Dining plan? Time of year (we don't mind taking them out of school)? How do you even do Disney with such a big age gap with different interests? I would love to hear some suggestions which you would consider the best of the best keeping the group size and ages in mind.

First I would plan some time apart to do your own things, there is such a thing as too much togetherness. As far as the age differences, I'm 60, my son is 36 and we go together all the time, I love to ride the kids rides like Peter Pan as well as ToT. We don't do the dining plan, it's just too structured for the way we eat. Time of year? We go all times of the year, I guess it might depend on where you are from. We are from Georgia so the summer heat and humidity is just like home to us. We were there the week before Christmas last year and almost froze to death, there were people in the pools though so I'm guessing it was our southern blood. It's pretty much crowded all year now but I hear right after the new year in January and February aren't too bad. Where to stay? We like the deluxe resorts, it's just habit for us, they were all there was when we started going and just go used to them. Little ones are going to like the MK resorts since it's a monorail or boat ride to MK, heck you can walk it from CR. We prefer the Epcot resorts because we are at Epcot every single night of our trip, we always have park hoppers.

You aren't going to be able to please everyone so don't try and you aren't going to be able to see and do everything so don't try. Don't overplan, things can and will go wrong, you know best laid plans and all.

We go with large family groups often. In terms of when to go - I would agree - that there really isn't a quiet time but January or February before the Presidents week might be good. We go in the summer because of the kids schedule. They are older now and we don't take them out of school.

As for the dining plan - we did it once and it was not good for us. I have calculated it many times and we would never save money with the dining plan. I would not do it.

As for resorts - we love the deluxe resorts. With money no issue I would say a deluxe resort with club level. We absolutely love Poly, CR and BWI. The BWI is great because you are close to EPCOT and the club level has a deluxe room that fits 6 people. We love the offerings at the BWI and the staff of the club level lounge. But our absolute favorites is the Poly for the theme and for relaxing and the CR for the ability to walk to MK (that is a huge plus). What is great about staying club level with a big group is that you have a lounge to hang out in and spend some time. You get breakfast and snacks throughout the day with desserts in the evening. It makes it easy to organize because everyone can eat breakfast when they want. The Poly has the best lounge - it is open all day and night and many times we sit after the desserts are done and we talk and play cards until midnight or later.

As for organizing your day - we usually organize one meal per day together and depending how long the trip is we make several days of down time. We just went with a party of 10 and we stayed together the whole trip and everyone enjoyed it. It really depends on the people in the group as to how long you stay together. We are going with another family this summer. We made the fastpasses and the dining reservations - but if someone is tired or wants to change plans we all understand.

I hope that helps.

With the size of your family, first I would narrow down which resorts you will fit in and what setups of those you are comfortable with. Then go from there for the entire group.

I would go in March, statistically is the month with less rain in Disney and great weather with low crowds

When I have done multigenerational trips, we made sure each family had together time
Planned a special meal w grandparents and grandkids and their nuclear family, a princess meal with one granddaughter for example

Planned a meal for the family per day

Other than go together or not. We would often start the day together than split off after a ts lunch
We also did an illuminations fireworks cruise

Everybody needs some downtime sometimes :)

We have done several group trips as big as 18 and as little as 4. I think that it would be most beneficial to know how long a visit ..5 days? Week? 10 days? Are the adults foodies? Enjoy a nightly cocktail? Typically enjoy restaurant meals versus a quick bite ( ?burger). Are the adults laid back/relax type or active types... like to be "doing" something?
Have you all vacationed together before or will this be a first?
Do you think being in a closer shared space
( villa) versus separate resort rooms... would be better?
so many variables and the good part is that there are So many options to fit the needs of most families. I'd only stay In site!
I think it'd be a good idea to get the Expectatiins known first ( would you all prefer everything done ahead ex. meals, xtras like a cruise or tour etc.
groups can be such fun and making the family memories will last a Lifetime.
If I were to choose without knowing ur family dynamics and money was not a factor... I'd visit in the fall, regular meal plan, 1-2 days in each park, a day at DS, ohanas dinner, BOG bkfst, crystal palace dinner, HDD REVUE, pirate cruise, and either club level poly or AKL villa/Jambo. and have a blast.
Enjoy ur visit wherever you go!

Part of my choices would be based on who is paying. Is mom and dad paying for the whole trip or is everyone paying for each of their portion?

We went a few years ago and it was 9 adults and 2 kids. We got a 2 bedroom villa and a studio. In the two bedroom unit was gma/gpa (my parents), 1 adult (sister) w/ spouse and the 2 kids, and 2 of the other adult kids (me and sister). In the other room was an aunt/uncle and the other gam (my gma). We all had to pay for our portion of the trip. So my tickets/food and part of the hotel was on me. And it was distributed like that amongst all of us.

What we did was we would split up during the day. Kind of say this group is going here this group there and if we saw each other we saw each other. We did have nanny duty once but that was ok. We did 2 major meals all as a big family. Chef Mickey and a nice dinner at Wilderness lodge where we were staying.

I have a trip planned in Oct (hopefully) 2019 when my son turns 5. We will invite many and they will make their arrangements. We will say this day we will have a family dinner or something but we want people to do what they want. So my parents can spend as much time in epcot as they want but we will be in Magic kingdom more with the young kids but meet up and do a meal or something and so on. With the wide range of prices for everyone that still allows them to choose how they want to Disney. But we still try and say lets meet up here or there.

We I'd two two br villas
My hubby and I shared w my db daily and their child. My parents shared w my other brother and his daughter

Had enough space for everyone to gather and have some downtime. I can't stress enough how easy it is to annoy others when you are in close quarters Andy tired

If it were me I would do two 2 bedroom villas at an Epcot resort. I love the Beach Club. The pool is amazing and the walk to Epcot and DHS is very convenient. You can also trade off with the other adults for a possible date night. That's a great area for a date night IMO. The boardwalk, World Showcase, etc.

I would go in May or the summer so you are sure to utilize the pool. I would skip the meal plan. Plan a 1-2 ADR's together, not all. Split up once you're in the parks. No need to be together all of the time.

I really like this website to determine best weeks to go: http://**************.net/2016/10/31/2018-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/

I would highly recommend either 3 rooms at a deluxe resort (consider club level for a place to all meet up and hang out) or a combination of a 2-bedroom villa with a studio or another 1-bedroom villa. Either of these options will give you deluxe accommodations, plus a common area to be together. The villas will also give you full kitchen and washer/dryer.

If this is a first stay and you will spend most of your time in MK, I would recommend either 3 rooms (CL) at GF or Poly or villas at BLT or Boulder Ridge/Copper Creek at WL. GF, Poly and BLT will give you monorail access to MK (BLT will also offer walking access). The villas at WL will offer you a boat to MK.

If this is not your first visit or you will spend most of your time at EP/DHS, I would recommend 3 rooms (CL) at BC or BWI or the villas at BCV or BWV.

Last edited:
We do a lot of multi generation travel and often with groups of about 20 people. It can be really awesome. You might be surprised at how much the 5 and 2 year old can do. There are plenty of thrill rides, but most attractions are appropriate for most ages.

I would stay at AKL which is a destination unto itself and can be enjoyed by all ages. There are lots of things to do and enjoy - planned activities and resort amenities. It's our favorite place on earth and we always recommend it if it's in the budget. We rent DVC points and book 2 bedroom suites. You could consider one grand villa, but you have to consider how many shared common spaces you want. The main reason people seem to shy away from AKL is that it's the farthest from the parks, but it's not that much farther. The buses have always been reliable for us. But you can also drive and park for free if you have a car with you. Boma is there and it's our most favorite restaurant ever.

I realize I might be in the minority here, but hear me out, I would also consider reserving rooms at an All Star resort, mainly because of the food court which might be a better situation for teenagers or groups that have varied tastes. My first experience at a value was last year when we were stuck in town a few days after the hurricane and had to move from Saratoga Springs (which I would NOT recommend for a Disney trip, beautiful resort, no Disney magic). They got us a room at All Star Music and we LOVED it. The bed was smaller but more comfortable, the pools were smaller but cooler, and the food court was awesome. That is the extent of my value experience, but I would absolutely book there again.

We tried the meal plan once and won't ever do it again (unless we got it free). My sister and I travel together often with similar size groups. She always gets the plan, I don't. We eat a lot of meals together but we spends WAY less. We don't love eating out twice a day every day and my kids don't want to, either. So we do stock the fridge with groceries from Super Target so we can make sandwiches, cereal, and snacks. We don't feel pressured to try to get our money's worth - we can order whatever we want. And we have the flexibility to cancel a reservation and order take out. The portions are really big and 2 QS meals is often plenty for me and my kids to split during the day. We don't scrimp at Disney, we eat well! When we did the meal plan we kept ending up with too many credits that got converted into snacks that we didn't really need. I would have rather saved that money and used it for something else.

If you want to use the pools I would recommend October. If you don't care about swimming (or don't mind getting chilly), I would recommend January. We also pull our kids out of school for Disney. It's

The biggest key to group travel is expectation management. Make a plan but don't expect to follow it too closely. If one person is taking point for reservations, open a bank account for this trip so others can transfer their share or make deposits on meal reservations if needed. Make sure to plan for time for each family to spend separately and if you're trading off babysitting nights (adults or teenagers), set down the guidelines for that before you leave.

Plan plan plan but don't stress about sticking to it!

If money is truly no object I would stay at the Poly and book two of the 2-bedroom Tonga suites. They are CL and you would have lots of room for group gatherings and dinners in the suites.

Wow thanks everyone! You made great suggestions. My in laws took us when we just had 2 kids and we stayed at the beach club on deluxe dining. I feel like this will be much different adding 3 extra kids, more age gap between the kids and 2 more adults. My in laws will be paying for everyone which is just amazing because we could never stay on site with our family of 6 paying ourselves!! They are looking into grand Floridian but it just seems so stuffy to me...never actually stayed there though and I would be grateful for anything. But they do welcome advice on how to spend their money and I'm happy to help them. Basically we have my super posh mother and father in law, woodsy hunting/camping type brother in law and then my family who is somewhere in between. I'm thinking we might have to split up the older kids and younger who will just be interested in different things and I like the idea of then joining back again for dinner and fireworks. Also love the idea of giving grandparents some individual time with the kiddos too. I'm a super planner buy everyone else goes along with the flow pretty good which works well for me lol. We went in january right after new years last time and I did find it a little too chilly for pools although the kids did get one swim day. Is February any better or still pretty chilly? And March not good???? Probably because of spring breaks I'm assuming?? Thankful for all your comments

For time of year with that age group, I would definitely consider the first couple weeks in May. We have wanted to go in the off-season numerous times, but our kids would be so upset if they couldn't swim. You might want to look into the Wilderness Lodge new DVC. My understanding is that WL would be 'posh' enough for the grandparents and woodsy enough for the others! Plus a new pool area and new rooms!

I am not a fan of gf
I am a huge fan of Epcot resorts. Awesome location, great dining all within the area including Epcot! Not to mention the awesome stormalong bay at yc/BC

We did a similar trip one November for our daughters 4th birthday. I used a travel guide / concierge / tour guide service so that took a lot of the planning and worrying off of me and I would highly recommend it (the rules have changed on here since I used to post so I don't want to get in trouble for saying something I shouldn't on that part).

1. We had clear expectations from the beginning on what we were going to do. We travel with my parents a lot ... so sometimes we go our separate ways ... sometimes they watch the kids part of the time and DH and I go do something, etc. For this particular trip I said I'm paying so we are following my plan :-) (My parents are used to me so I could get away saying that).
2. We stayed at the Contemporary. It was nice to have the monorail AND the option of being able to walk to the MK. There are a lot of plus' and minus' with any resort. We prefer the deluxe ones and for this trip it worked the best.
3. We have stayed at the Grand Floridian with the kids and it didn't feel stuffy to us, so nothing wrong with that option either.
4. Early November was a great time and early May has worked well too. Personally Christmas time is my favorite time to be there (which must be why we go every year then).
5. I think sticking together makes it more fun. There are only a limited number of rides that everyone won't be able to ride because of age. When we go there are a handful of rides that I refuse to get on because they make me sick. But if you go at the right time of year, use FP, etc. the waiting people won't be there that long.
6. Regardless of when you go get ADRs. Have every person pick out a favorite place that they love to eat or would love to try and book those first.

For a family of 6, you can stay in suites (DVC resorts) or CL at AKL, BWI, WL and (I think) GF. There's also AoA and Coronado that can accommodate you. There's also the option to split your nuclear family into 2 rooms and stay at any resort.

Personally we love CL offerings AKL is our favourite resort - there's so much to see and do there, plus it's gorgeous! We're staying at BWI for our first time in sept, so can't say much for the actual resort, but we've been through there a few times and it is lovely, but not quite my preference. GF is gorgeous, it's a one day resort for me - DH would rather never step in there because of the perfume smell lol We're Canadian - living close tot he rockies, so WL isn't on my priority list, but it is nice, not posh (IMO) but nice. For Posh and outdoorsy, i'd say aim for AKL CL.

I like going in Sept Food & wine is lovely, also the halloween party if you're interested. The weather is still gorgeous, but not as hot. April is my second fav time - again, the weather is lovely, not too hot, but also hasn't hit rainy season yet. The Flower & Garden festival is my favourite!

As for ages and size of party - when we go with a wide range of people, we utilize rider swap a lot, make FP+ plans for the older kiddos most of the time. We do a lot of things together, but also split up as needed. We have phones to make plans on the fly while we're not together. Basically, we just know we won't do everything, instead we ask everyone what their top 2 rides/attractions are, and we make plans to accommodate those requests as best we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter