• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our budget I think is going to be around 12,000-15,000 CAD which I believe right now is about 9,000-11,500 USD.

Our family of 3 just spent $10,000 on 6 park days and 9 nights in a value (ASSp) which included the dining plan, and merch. Granted we like to go all out on vacation and DH and I will have several alcoholic drinks a day, and $3000 of it was merch alone, but still.

Hmmm... well if annual pass is about 2500, and I looked at David’s DVC rental, and we could stay at a deluxe for around 8-12 grand depending on which resort. Then factor in a couple grand for food I think we will be okay. What do you think?

A couple grand for food is a budget of less than $67 per day. That is equal to about 2 quick service meals for each of you every day. That would not work for me for 30 days.

ETA - I used 30 days but I just reread you post and see your stay is less days so you would have more $$$ per day depending on the amount of days you decided to stay

Why?
We LOVE our DVC. We don‘t cook either. But we love the extra room etc
Don’t need the extra room. Regular rooms have all we ever need
No CL is also a huge loss for us. I know AKL has it but not many

Don’t need the extra room. Regular rooms have all we ever need
No CL is also a huge loss for us. I know AKL has it but not many
Just another perfect example of how folks are different.
I couldn't care less about CL. Actually I would never pay more for it.
Other than the planning help of the staff, it offers nothing that I can't have more of in my Villa.
Plus my Villa is already paid for. We recouped our investment long ago and our Maintenance fees are way less than the vacation would cost other wise. It seems from your posts that you visit WDW a lot. We couldn't do that the way we love without DVC.
To each their own.

Just another perfect example of how folks are different.
I couldn't care less about CL. Actually I would never pay more for it.
Other than the planning help of the staff, it offers nothing that I can't have more of in my Villa.
Plus my Villa is already paid for. We recouped our investment long ago and our Maintenance fees are way less than the vacation would cost other wise. It seems from your posts that you visit WDW a lot. We couldn't do that the way we love without DVC.
To each their own.
Yep, glad DVC is there for those who want it
We've done the tour (twice), ran the numbers, both from Disney and private.
We spend way less than we would than if we bought the points we'd need to travel where and when we want. And mostly, I get to stay in rooms with full service, not pay extra for it. Cause a vacation ain't a vacation without service in the room every day. No thank you. I make my bed and clean up at home every day. It's no vacation to do that in the room too

Yep, glad DVC is there for those who want it
We've done the tour (twice), ran the numbers, both from Disney and private.
We spend way less than we would than if we bought the points we'd need to travel where and when we want. And mostly, I get to stay in rooms with full service, not pay extra for it. Cause a vacation ain't a vacation without service in the room every day. No thank you. I make my bed and clean up at home every day. It's no vacation to do that in the room too
Again different strokes for different folks. Lack of daily Mousekeeping was a deterrent for me for years. But since we have owned I LOVE it. I can make my bed. We are neat. Etc.
I now opt out of Housekeeping in my Marriott travels as well.
I don’t want strangers in my room.

Hmmm... well if annual pass is about 2500, and I looked at David’s DVC rental, and we could stay at a deluxe for around 8-12 grand depending on which resort. Then factor in a couple grand for food I think we will be okay. What do you think?

8 -12k for almost a month —depending on time of year and resort that’s pretty low IMO.

Last edited:
One thing with me would be is after about two weeks of eating Disney food, I would want some good home cooking. The DVC villa might be good for the end of the trip? But that is just me.

But try to throw in some Yacht and or Beach Club in there. The pool is so awesome.

Here's some more 2 cents: Don't get the dining plan for the whole time, no way, it grows old on you pretty quick and is not the most desireable way to eat, locked into so many ADRs and trying to eat all the time. Some days I eat this and that and it's a lot of waste. Plus, maybe you don't want dessert all the time. etc., etc., With your flexibility buy what you want when you want and sprinkle in ADRs because You want to go the restaurant, Not because you Need to Fill a restaurant slot.

Big fan of Split stays. Trying out the different Resorts. Find 3 you like, and Go for it. Like 1 Epcot area, 1 MK area and AK is a Great way to do it.

My recommendation is Stay at an MK resort place first. If you want the Dining, so be it, but leave it with this stay, it'll be out of your system by the second stay leg.

2nd Stay, Chill out a little at AKL. Its beautiful and peaceful.

3rd portion, Epcot area resort with a Club Level booking. Club Level is fun to try and will fill some different food needs.

I defer on the ticket to the others.

Oh and one more thing. If you need to save a little cash on a leg or so of the stay, don't be afraid of the moderates or even the values. A couple of my favorites are in those categories. Of course a couple of my favorites are deluxe too. See what grabs your interest and budget. We always do a budget/moderate to start a split and finish with a Club Level Deluxe. But we've only got 10 nights.

Last edited:
Again different strokes for different folks. Lack of daily Mousekeeping was a deterrent for me for years. But since we have owned I LOVE it. I can make my bed. We are neat. Etc.
I now opt out of Housekeeping in my Marriott travels as well.
I don’t want strangers in my room.

Strangers come in your room anyway to check it, even if you are not getting housekeeping. I think that happens in all hotels since the shooting in LasVegas. I agree with this as you don't know what people could be bringing into their rooms and they don't own them, so people cannot refuse this policy.

Wow! So much info. Thanks everyone.

Annual pass definitely seems like the way to go. We are for sure going to stay on site, we just prefer being where all the action is, and having a really immersed experience. Our budget I think is going to be around 12,000-15,000 CAD which I believe right now is about 9,000-11,500 USD.

I really like the idea of splitting stays at different resorts to get different themes and vibes. I looked at Davids DVC rental (is this a good website?), and its pretty affordable staying at contemporary and animal kingdom, and I think would be within our budget.

As for dining, I think you guys are right that the dining plan for that long is probably a waste of money. I will look into tables of wonderland!
There is no way you'll be staying onsite in a deluxe for that amount of time with that budget. Most people spend about that total for a week's stay in a deluxe with food and tickets.

But that puts your spending at $12500 - $16500 US. That’s significantly more than your original budget. Are you okay with that?

You're bumping up against the top amount of your budget.

What is the timeframe you're looking at for your honeymoon?

Are we talking 2020 or 2021? You also need to factor in price increases between now and then. Like that old saying, the only things guaranteed in life are death, taxes, and Disney price increases.

I know you want to stay in the bubble, but I strongly recommend looking outside the bubble given your budget. I stayed at Caribe Royale for the back half my honeymoon...for 80 bucks a night.

Again, thanks for all the info guys.

I have been thinking about it, and am not sure we even NEED to stay at a deluxe. I have stayed at contemporary and animal kingdom before, and of course they were LOVELY-but we also looooooooove pop century. Staying at pop century would definitely save some money. So we might try a split stay. Perhaps a deluxe or two for 3-4 night each, then the rest of the time at pop.

As for spending so much time together in a tiny room for nearly a month, we really don't mind (id hope not, or else we'd better not get married! lol)!

I agree with probably not getting the dining plan, at least not for the entire trip. I could imagine that disney food could get old after a couple weeks. We will probably get the dining plan for a week or so, then pay out of pocket for the rest of the time.

Lastly, we are not sure when the honeymoon will be exactly. It will be in 2021 though. We were thinking anytime from September-december.

I have been thinking about it, and am not sure we even NEED to stay at a deluxe. I have stayed at contemporary and animal kingdom before, and of course they were LOVELY-but we also looooooooove pop century. Staying at pop century would definitely save some money. So we might try a split stay. Perhaps a deluxe or two for 3-4 night each, then the rest of the time at pop.

As for spending so much time together in a tiny room for nearly a month, we really don't mind (id hope not, or else we'd better not get married! lol)!

I agree with probably not getting the dining plan, at least not for the entire trip. I could imagine that disney food could get old after a couple weeks. We will probably get the dining plan for a week or so, then pay out of pocket for the rest of the time.

Lastly, we are not sure when the honeymoon will be exactly. It will be in 2021 though. We were thinking anytime from September-december.

Different strokes for different folks, but, yeah, I couldn't do Pop for an extended amount of time particularly if you want to relax and enjoy the resorts you are staying in - small rooms, no balcony, etc. Have you considered the Ft. W cabins for any part of your trip? Certainly more expensive than Pop, but lots of room, quiet, private, super relaxing. Personally, if I were going that long, I would even look into Wyndham Bonnet Creek or renting a small house with a pool to get more room and maximize my budget.

I would do Pop for two weeks. There’s lots of space for 2 since you can leave the Murphy bed up. I’d plan to do the majority of park time the first two weeks at Pop.

Then I’d do a moderate for a week - POFQ, and finish it off with a week at a deluxe. By the end of it, you’ll probably just be heading into the parks to do dining and maybe one or two rides.

Definitely consider TIW. TIW is also good at the counter service locations at Pop, AofA and POFQ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter