2021 Point Reallocation

I guess it's alright. My average vacation (Summer, one year July, next end of Aug) will decrease by approximately 2-3 points per year. So basically no affect on me. It is a relief not to see any kind of lock off premium change though.

As I mentioned I see some changes and it also doesn't take much to bump up against the ceiling for shifting points. That's why I suspect there will be more done next year. At least that's what I'm thinking just from glancing at it all.
I agree and stated elsewhere the limit could have kicked in that prevented moving the first 2 weeks to a more expensive season where it likely belongs (between October and Thanksgiving week point costs probably, IMO). I did misread PVB and VGF in the rush to do the analysis (some room types had bigger movements).

May very well be that they're starting with the more contiguous season, and December kicks in next year (2022).

Not a big fan of PVB going from 118 to 125 for a week in January, since I have 120pts. That will probably have us staying 6 night instead. No big deal I suppose. The new charts seem more fair than the proposed 2020 changes. Maybe that was their plan? Create something so terrible that they would be able to get anything past us in 2021 under the guise of “we heard you”.

Not a big fan of PVB going from 118 to 125 for a week in January, since I have 120pts. That will probably have us staying 6 night instead. No big deal I suppose. The new charts seem more fair than the proposed 2020 changes. Maybe that was their plan? Create something so terrible that they would be able to get anything past us in 2021 under the guise of “we heard you”.
Fortunately for members 2021 point charts currently seem to have points adjusting within the same Room Type (haven't gone through all the resorts yet but so far none have, out of the 5 I checked now, any point movement among room types), unlike the 2020 original charts of taking points from the 2 Beds/Cabins/GV and putting them onto the studios and 1 bedrooms. So this time around by adjusting within a Room Type I don't think they are getting anything past us as all documentation has been super clear that points could adjust seasonally among a room type. Though I agree most people are going to find 2021 charts more appeasing compared to what they tried in 2020. I do think their plan was always to stick with the 2020 point charts but someone somewhere (or a combination of the Notorious 24) had a valid argument that DVCMC was afraid they would lose if they stuck to their plans.

:yay:
Well done to us Notorious 24!

How does early December compares with the previous years? It's still the second cheapest season, same points as last year?

As part of the notorious 24 I see that the theory that we called them out on doing something that was actually ills looks like it was true - creating points out of thin air using the lockout premium was dirty dealing. This move of shifting seasons is 100% legit and while I am not happy that my 75 point BWV contract won't get me as many fall nights as it did, what they did seems fair.

Keep posting any changes anyone notices, we're likely going to record a dvc show on the topic later this week.

Not particularly happy with the changes. My preferred trip at AKV went up 5 points for a week and is now 3 points more than I get each year 😢. I guess I'll have to get that 25 point add on sooner than I was expecting. Luckily I still have some banked points I can work with to push off the purchase a bit. Hopefully a small resale contract pops up so I can avoid a direct purchase and save a couple bucks.

I got lucky. Georgia's "fall break" is typically mid september, so most of the time we will benefit a bit.

About early September: this year I got BLT standard at 7 months and BWV standard and AKV value with a wait list shortly after; all studios. So it is justified a reduction in points.
Of course there is a reason: I got lucky with Dorian as it didn't cause too much trouble at WDW, just minor inconveniences. With the rate hurricanes are hitting Orlando (3 times in 4 or 5 years, I think) early September is going to stay unpopular even with cheaper charts.

Except you can't really say its justified when Dorian was making people cancel and move around plans. Although it does likely make sense for points to be lowered.

Except you can't really say its justified when Dorian was making people cancel and move around plans. Although it does likely make sense for points to be lowered.
I think the point was at 7 months they could make a reservation at 3 of what would be viewed as some the hardest rooms to get at 7 months. They weren't suggested Dorian helped them get the rooms (or others); they were stating they got lucky as they went during Hurricane season and Dorian ended up not ruining their vacation that was planned 7 months earlier.

Not particularly happy with the changes. My preferred trip at AKV went up 5 points for a week and is now 3 points more than I get each year 😢. I guess I'll have to get that 25 point add on sooner than I was expecting. Luckily I still have some banked points I can work with to push off the purchase a bit. Hopefully a small resale contract pops up so I can avoid a direct purchase and save a couple bucks.

Can you just borrow? If you're only short 3 points you can borrow many years in a row before you'll need to take a year off.

I think the point was at 7 months they could make a reservation at 3 of what would be viewed as some the hardest rooms to get at 7 months. They weren't suggested Dorian helped them get the rooms (or others); they were stating they got lucky as they went during Hurricane season and Dorian ended up not ruining their vacation that was planned 7 months earlier.

Ah their waitlist was 7 months out. Completely misread that, thanks for pointing it out.

My preferred accommodations went up a few points, nothing bad. I am surprised that Jan 1-15 isn't a higher season with New Years and the Marathon, but I am OK with that, I don't want to spend any more points than I have to.

Can you just borrow? If you're only short 3 points you can borrow many years in a row before you'll need to take a year off.
And if not borrowing, just pay for one time use points at $19 per. $57 per a night is still an incredible deal and probably better than having to buy a 25 point add-on

While I think they did the right thing, selfishly I see that a different UY would have served us better. Buying more points to get to a 1-bedroom perhaps would not be the best move right now as it appears to have been dinged for OKW.

Last edited:
And if not borrowing, just pay for one time use points at $19 per. $57 per a night is still an incredible deal and probably better than having to buy a 25 point add-on
The problem with that is having to wait until 7 months to book with the OTU points.

I have not looked at the specifics yet, but I did notice that December, with the exception of Xmas week, is now all one season, and matches January levels,

I wonder if this could shift some of early December? Now one can stay all the way up to Dec 23rd for the same points.

I have not looked at the specifics yet, but I did notice that December, with the exception of Xmas week, is now all one season, and matches January levels,

I wonder if this could shift some of early December? Now one can stay all the way up to Dec 23rd for the same points.
Having that 3rd week of December be a cheaper week I think will benefit us as well and maybe help shift demand slightly from those first 2 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter