2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

I had Pop booked for 11/24 - 12/5 when free dining dropped. I had to switch to All Star Sports to get free dining. I know this has happened to others. I wonder if I should keep trying for Pop. What are others doing? If Pop is being held for Pop Warner I wonder if it might be better just to stay at Sports and not continue to try for Pop.
You're not alone. My folks had Pop from Nov. 19- Dec. 1. When free dining hit, they could only modify for Nov. 22-nov. 30, with FD for the whole time minus 22-23. They were forced to move from Pop to an AS resort for the final night. I continue to look, and it may open up, hopefully. But this turns into a three-part split stay, and it really throws a cramp into how we schedule the use of the dining credits as the will expire, then start, then expire again at each point of the split stay. So, hopefully, Dec. 1 opens up and they can tack that onto the existing stay. My family is in a similar situation, but at AoA Cars suite. At least we don't have a resort change, but our FD only goes from Nov 24-29, with Nov. 30-end back to non-FD. Our 180 mark is in about 25 days, so now we get to crunch numbers to see which meals we should pay oop for and then if we end up wasting credits that go unused when it resets during our trip. Especially as it pertains to CRT and Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Doing those our first two TS meals during the 2 days before our FD kicks in. Initially, we would use these credits early, and later have days without using TS, but now, that can't happen. I wonder if the non-FD days would be better served with a dining plan or without. I don't want to waste money (for me or my parents) but I also don't want to worry about the menu costs. Does anybody have a good resource to help determine cost efficiency of plan credits at each restaurant? Thank you!

I also continue to have both booked but I'm just not sure if I should just stay with All Star Sports. It is just so hard to decide.

I've had Pop booked for a month or so. I am going to keep it booked in the hopes free dining opens up, but I am not counting on it anymore. I got All Star Music with free dining and am saving over $1,000. It is hard for me to justify spending over $1,000 more for the hotel I really want. I will keep both booked (we have awhile) and keep checking just in case something changes.

Are you really going to go to Pop with no free dining when you have FD booked at an AllStars? If so, yeah hang on to it I guess. But if you let go of your Pop reservation, maybe FD will open up for your dates.

Are you really going to go to Pop with no free dining when you have FD booked at an AllStars? If so, yeah hang on to it I guess. But if you let go of your Pop reservation, maybe FD will open up for your dates.

I had a major issue getting the days I needed for Pop, so I am hesitant to let it to for that reason. If free dining does open up, I doubt I will be able to get all my days again if I let it go. I think Pop Warner is the main issue with that. But yeah, if I save the money staying at All Stars then I can probably splurge for the memory maker, maybe a tour, etc.

I had a major issue getting the days I needed for Pop, so I am hesitant to let it to for that reason. If free dining does open up, I doubt I will be able to get all my days again if I let it go. I think Pop Warner is the main issue with that. But yeah, if I save the money staying at All Stars then I can probably splurge for the memory maker, maybe a tour, etc.
Last year also something happened for POP only 5 days available till Nov end.
And never available for dec first week

This might sound like a dump question but hear we go. At a table service restaurant can you order a appetizer as your entree? Was able to snag a pop free dinning reservation for 9/25 to 10/2 this morning, so now were looking at menus.

This might sound like a dump question but hear we go. At a table service restaurant can you order a appetizer as your entree? Was able to snag a pop free dinning reservation for 9/25 to 10/2 this morning, so now were looking at menus.
Ummmm, well if you’re on deluxe plan you get the appetizer anyway, on the standard plan I have been told apps are not included, hmmmm, yeah really, some places said no some said yes, I think it depends if Tink :tinker:has stopped by to talk to your server?

I would say your chances of doing this are about 20-30%. If there's a place you really want to do it, just ask, but make sure you have a Plan B.

You're not alone. My folks had Pop from Nov. 19- Dec. 1. When free dining hit, they could only modify for Nov. 22-nov. 30, with FD for the whole time minus 22-23. They were forced to move from Pop to an AS resort for the final night. I continue to look, and it may open up, hopefully. But this turns into a three-part split stay, and it really throws a cramp into how we schedule the use of the dining credits as the will expire, then start, then expire again at each point of the split stay. So, hopefully, Dec. 1 opens up and they can tack that onto the existing stay. My family is in a similar situation, but at AoA Cars suite. At least we don't have a resort change, but our FD only goes from Nov 24-29, with Nov. 30-end back to non-FD. Our 180 mark is in about 25 days, so now we get to crunch numbers to see which meals we should pay oop for and then if we end up wasting credits that go unused when it resets during our trip. Especially as it pertains to CRT and Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Doing those our first two TS meals during the 2 days before our FD kicks in. Initially, we would use these credits early, and later have days without using TS, but now, that can't happen. I wonder if the non-FD days would be better served with a dining plan or without. I don't want to waste money (for me or my parents) but I also don't want to worry about the menu costs. Does anybody have a good resource to help determine cost efficiency of plan credits at each restaurant? Thank you!
www.distripplanner.com I tried to link the website, but it wouldn't work, so I just typed it in for you. It's supposed to be a Disney dining calculator - the site says, "Enter the details of your trip, dining preferences, and then select where you’d like to eat in Disney World. As you choose each restaurant, we dynamically calculate the estimated out of pocket costs you would incur if you did not use a dining plan. We also dynamically calculate the additional cost or potential savings for the three most popular dining plans - the Quick Service Plan, the Disney Dining Plan, and the Deluxe Dining Plan. If you expand the details for each dining plan estimate, you’ll see exactly which restaurants to pay for out of pocket and which restaurants to pay for with the Disney Dining Plan". It might help, let me know if for some reason you couldn't get to the site.

Are you upgrading to the regular dining plan? The values and moderates include the counter service plan, but you can pay to upgrade.

The appetizers are not included in the regular plan. When you go to a TS restaurant it will not hurt to ask if you can order an appetizer as an entree, but I am not at all sure that it s good use of the credit.

Well, checking day and night I have had some luck. I have my original Pop reservation (where I really want to stay) but no free dining. Was able to get All Star Sports standard room with free dining, but am missing my last night (hoping that opens up). Early this morning got All Star Music preferred room with free dining for my whole stay. Still hoping for free dining with Pop, but am trying to convince myself that the All Stars won't be that bad. I just can't justify spending over $1,000 more for Pop Century. Could use that money for so much more.

I've had Pop booked for a month or so. I am going to keep it booked in the hopes free dining opens up, but I am not counting on it anymore. I got All Star Music with free dining and am saving over $1,000. It is hard for me to justify spending over $1,000 more for the hotel I really want. I will keep both booked (we have awhile) and keep checking just in case something changes.

We have stayed at both POP and ASMusic. We LOVED POP but have found that we actually like ASMu better. ASMu is a smaller resort, so it's not as long a walk for coffee/soda, to take the mug back to the room, coming home from a long day in the parks, etc. I think the bus is less packed at day's end going back to ASMu than it was to POP; I can remember waiting in line though 3 busloads of people after park closing at MK, trying to get back to POP. While the ASMu buses are also full, we've never experienced the same numbers of people trying to get on the bus. We also liked the pool better; kids seemed less frenetic and more closely watched at the ASMu pool. We've always stayed in the Broadway section; really like it there!

I'm not trying to tell you that you should like ASMu better than POP, if that's where your heart lies, just trying to calm your hesitation about trying All Stars Music!

I had the opposite experience. Our walk to the food court and buses at All Star Music was so long. I would not go there again without having a preferred room.

Hi Everyone, I have a question and sorry if this is already out there. Was able to make it in on the Free Dining for Dec, thanks to everyone here. I have a room only at Pop Dec 6th and Package Dec 7 thru 15.
I'm hoping to merge the two so I don't have to change rooms. My question is can get my Dining Pkg to start on the 6th (dinner), even though my package begins on the 7th? Hoping I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket for the first night.

Hi Everyone, I have a question and sorry if this is already out there. Was able to make it in on the Free Dining for Dec, thanks to everyone here. I have a room only at Pop Dec 6th and Package Dec 7 thru 15.
I'm hoping to merge the two so I don't have to change rooms. My question is can get my Dining Pkg to start on the 6th (dinner), even though my package begins on the 7th? Hoping I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket for the first night.
No. Sorry. You can access tickets early but not dining plan credits.

So, with our split stay, we may have to pay oop for a meal before the FD portion of our trip begins (even if we use a standard DP, we still may have to pay, just based on cost efficiency. We also have a disney Visa. Do we pay with the Visa on site to get the 10% discount or can we still have the bill charged to the room, then get the same 10% discount if we pay the room charges with the Visa then. Not trying to skirt around anything or double dip, but just wanting to avoid carrying around cards around the parks. Make sense? Or, do we just show the card to get the discount (without having to use it) and then pay with gift cards. We might budget gift cards in advance to pay, but don't want to rob ourselves of some discount perks.
Thanks!

You can’t access the dining plan early. You can however, at check-in on the 6th, mention to them that you are staying the 7th-15th and that you would like the same room. If you have the same room category for both reservations it should be possible without issue. We did it last december and they actually mentionned it to us since they could see the 2 reservations and we didn’t have to move at all.

So, with our split stay, we may have to pay oop for a meal before the FD portion of our trip begins (even if we use a standard DP, we still may have to pay, just based on cost efficiency. We also have a disney Visa. Do we pay with the Visa on site to get the 10% discount or can we still have the bill charged to the room, then get the same 10% discount if we pay the room charges with the Visa then. Not trying to skirt around anything or double dip, but just wanting to avoid carrying around cards around the parks. Make sense? Or, do we just show the card to get the discount (without having to use it) and then pay with gift cards. We might budget gift cards in advance to pay, but don't want to rob ourselves of some discount perks.
Thanks!

I believe you have to show the card and use it at the restaurant to get the discount, so you'd have to carry it for those days, but you could double check on the site. Just an FYI, the dining discount is only good at certain restaurants, in case you weren't aware: https://disneyrewards.com/vacation-perks/walt-disney-world-perks/. This way you know where you can use it before making ADRs for those days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter