• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 Holiday Events Start 11/18 This Year

I always feed my kids popcorn, candy and junk food to tie them over when we ate late during a vacation.

never said i was a great mom....but it worked so we could do parades/shows that fell during their usual dinner period schedule

I may have subscribed to that approach once or twice. :rolleyes1

That approach also takes any of the park restaurants out of contention and means we’re going to have a wait with everyone else in City Walk. Hmm. I’m toying with the idea of doing the parade and concert on different nights. Is the parade typically every day or is it only on special days like the concert?

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, this thread & all the great information posted here. I read about resort tree-lightings the day after Thanksgiving. Does anyone know what time of day/night these occur?
ETA Found my own answer. Evening between 6-7.

Last edited:
I wish they would release the details - times would be oh so helpful. We leave 2 weeks from today.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to do the parade and the concert? Our kids are not going to be able to wait until after 8 for dinner. I had been planning on doing Finnegans for dinner but we wouldn’t be able to get dinner and get to the parade if it’s at 6.

Adjust your dining times that day. Eat earlier, then walk right out & watch the parade.

I just want to vent a little bit to my other Christmas Planners here. :D

I keep checking and hoping that something will open up at one of the resorts (With express) for Dec 15-17.
We just decided last weekend to go in Dec and had to make sure everyone was free. I had checked on rooms and had a few options. As soon as I got the word from the last of us, I checked and the only thing available was HRH at $324. Which isn't incredibly bad, but we are planning to gift my SIL's family with the hotel on this trip and would need two rooms. I was considering the Hospitality Suite at RPR. These two would probably be about the same price, so I'm torn. Go ahead and book the rooms at HRH or wait and see what else might open up.

Sigh... It's no major dilemma, but I figured that you guys would understand my planning angst. ;)

We're going the same week. I had to juggle dates around quite a bit to get room options. I found that by switching our dates to 12-16 more options showed up for RPR and PB. If I switch to 13-16 even more.. It seems like the 17th is booked so you might try changing your checkout date to 16th and see if anything shows up for you. Good luck!!!

Nope, it is included.

Extra ticket costs are:

Grinch breakfast if you want to dine with the characters
Manheim Steamroller: some levels of annual passes are blocked out on concert days, so check on that if you have an annual pass

I thought the concert (MS) was included with park admission (non AP)

I thought the concert (MS) was included with park admission (non AP)

Yes, sorry. I was trying to clarify that it was free so long as you have the right level of AP. But if you didn;t have the right level you might have to pay to upgrade.

Sorry if I made a confusing mess out of that.

Has the schedule for the Macy's parade or the Harry Potter night show been released yet? Are both of those being held every day starting 11/18?

Has the schedule for the Macy's parade or the Harry Potter night show been released yet? Are both of those being held every day starting 11/18?
I don't think the exact times have been released yet, but yes both should be held everyday starting 11/18

There is an annual passholder preview for the new nighttime Christmas show on the 17th in the evening (you had to sign up for it, and it's already full). We did get in for the 8:30 time, no real details but I believe it'll showcase the nighttime castle show and maybe the frog choir.

There is an annual passholder preview for the new nighttime Christmas show on the 17th in the evening (you had to sign up for it, and it's already full). We did get in for the 8:30 time, no real details but I believe it'll showcase the nighttime castle show and maybe the frog choir.
Missed that.

Please post a full report next day, maybe with recommended places to stand for nighttime HP show

How do you find out about events like this? Do you just keep checking the site or do they contact you? I've never received any notices of AP events - just generic email ads that go to everyone

From UOAP group usually https://www.facebook.com/groups/1642951779303907 (other sources don't seem to be as reliable)

Just be aware, if you join, there are A LOT OF SPAM posts from people in the group. (1,000 posts about bill and ted cancellation. 100s of ppl's halloween costumes.) I ended up staying in the group but removing it from my newsfeed. So you have to stay diligent to see the information!

Last edited:
Reactions: shh
They were testing the nighttime castle show a lot last night after hours, small amount of fireworks and really neat effects on Hogwarts. Couldn't get a good look from where I am (I live close enough to see the big spotlights and fireworks shot and some of the color from the projection show, but no real detail)

If you want a spoiler there's a few ultra-zoomed in shots that someone else took from outside the park https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter