• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 DISNEYLAND RESORT HALLOWEEN TIME / MICKEY'S HALLOWEEN PARTY THREAD!

What say you, oh Disney-wise ones - if it were your first time going to Disney anything, would you want to go to the party as well (pretend you'd never been. lol!)?

Well, I've never been to the party, and am going this year! If it was available my first time, I would probably waffle some (the price!) but if you can afford it, I'd say go for it as a unique experience you can ONLY have at Disneyland!

This will be our first Halloweentime visit - so I have nothing to compare it to but WDW. I'm kind of excited that both parks will get some love! I am really glad though that we will be able to catch it in DL before it completely switches over! Can't wait for tickets to go on sale! I thought the article was interesting in that they are overlaying GOTG... I wonder how that will look. I'm a recent fan of GOTG, so I'm really excited about that ride regardless. Also, I think a Halloween WOC would be amazing!!

This will be our first Halloweentime visit - so I have nothing to compare it to but WDW. I'm kind of excited that both parks will get some love! I am really glad though that we will be able to catch it in DL before it completely switches over! Can't wait for tickets to go on sale! I thought the article was interesting in that they are overlaying GOTG... I wonder how that will look. I'm a recent fan of GOTG, so I'm really excited about that ride regardless. Also, I think a Halloween WOC would be amazing!!

I think that a Halloween World of Color is one of the most obvious things Disney can and should do to bring a bit of the season back to DCA (since DCA has been lacking in Halloween-ish things, for the most part, for years), and it kind of makes me wonder what the strategy was behind waiting so long to do it. As soon as they started changing it up and straying from the original version of WoC to reflect different themes, I have been expecting that there would be an eventual Halloween version of it because the Halloween Time season is so popular.

I was never sure if Disney could get away with making a Halloween WoC the sole exclusive selling point of a Halloween party in DCA, so I assumed that maybe they would just continue to have the party in DL and add the Halloween WoC to DCA. They'd have to come up with something else for DCA too, in my opinion. But it sounds like -- if the MiceChat rumors are true -- that the ultimate plan is to movie the Frightfully Fun Parade to DCA too. So it would be the parade and World of Color as the exclusive party events, with extra emphasis on the 2 non-party exclusive DCA ride overlays in terms of being able to ride them with shorter wait times during the party or whatever. I suppose the regular non-themed WOC could operate on non-party nights.

The other thing that I wonder about -- which was not mentioned in the MceChat article -- is an overlay for Toy Story Midway Mania. I wonder if TSMM is part of the bigger game plan to return Halloween Time to DCA. I remember when TSMM first opened 9 years ago, in some article or another an official Disney person (probably someone specifically involved in bringing TSMM to DCA) mentioned that it would be easy to switch up TSMM for Halloween and/or Holiday Season overlays. In fact, one of the things that was mentioned in an article I read was that Mr. Potato Head's banter for a Halloween and Holiday version of TSMM was already recorded -- including his own spin on Christmas songs and whatever else. And yet.... what happened to the overlay(s)? Was the plan abandoned? Could it be part of a "Toy Story Midway Mania 10-Year Anniversary" plan for 2018? Could the first TSMM overlay happen in 2019, when the 4th Toy Story movie debuts and everyone else is packed into Disneyland for Star Wars Land?

Having been to the Halloween party in both DL and DCA (and this was before there was a World of Color, a Cars Land or a Buena Vista Street in DCA), I can honestly say I enjoyed both versions of the event for different reasons. I wouldn't mind at all if the actual hard ticket party switched back to DCA for a few years, provided that parts of DCA are decorated once again, just to shake things up. But.... ultimately, I think the party seems to fit better in Disneyland, thematically speaking, and I suspect that more people may decide they prefer the DL version of the party over a new DCA version, after the novelty of DCA's party wears off (a few years in). I think the general atmosphere of Disneyland works a bit better with the party, but the wider walkways in DCA work better for traffic flow -- and it will be refreshing to see what a DCA party in 2018 could look like.

Will there be one Monday 30th and Halloween night then if they dont tend to do back to back parties during the week

Not sure. The dates for last year were:
Friday, Sept. 23; Monday, Sept. 26; Wednesday, Sept. 28; Friday, Sept. 30; Monday, Oct. 3; Wednesday, Oct. 5; Friday, Oct. 7; Monday, Oct. 10; Wednesday, Oct. 12; Friday, Oct. 14; Monday, Oct. 17; Wednesday, Oct. 19; Friday, Oct. 21; Monday, Oct. 24; Wednesday, Oct. 26; Saturday, Oct. 29; and Monday, Oct. 31.

So, based off this they did not do back-to-back even at the very end. With the dates the way they are this year, it's possible they'll do a Monday and Tuesday party. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they did a Saturday then Tuesday party. I think they do this so that people who aren't attending the parties don't get kicked out twice in a row. We'll have to wait and see when they officially release the dates (which will hopefully be in the next few weeks!). :)

probably no Saturdays. the reason they avoid weekends is because its already super busy from open to close with normal ticket sales.

Been to a few party's, this year will be the first time my kids are old enough to choose their own costume. So, For those of you that have dressed up for the party....exactly how strict are they on the rules? My 4 year old really wants to go as Luke and me as Obi-wan, but previously posted rules pretty much say Jedi robes are out..."no capes that touch the ground or layered costumes"...im pretty sure I've seen them before though. Would hate to get his hopes up to get the costume dismantled at the gate.

I think that a Halloween World of Color is one of the most obvious things Disney can and should do to bring a bit of the season back to DCA (since DCA has been lacking in Halloween-ish things, for the most part, for years), and it kind of makes me wonder what the strategy was behind waiting so long to do it. As soon as they started changing it up and straying from the original version of WoC to reflect different themes, I have been expecting that there would be an eventual Halloween version of it because the Halloween Time season is so popular.

I was never sure if Disney could get away with making a Halloween WoC the sole exclusive selling point of a Halloween party in DCA, so I assumed that maybe they would just continue to have the party in DL and add the Halloween WoC to DCA. They'd have to come up with something else for DCA too, in my opinion. But it sounds like -- if the MiceChat rumors are true -- that the ultimate plan is to movie the Frightfully Fun Parade to DCA too. So it would be the parade and World of Color as the exclusive party events, with extra emphasis on the 2 non-party exclusive DCA ride overlays in terms of being able to ride them with shorter wait times during the party or whatever. I suppose the regular non-themed WOC could operate on non-party nights.

The other thing that I wonder about -- which was not mentioned in the MceChat article -- is an overlay for Toy Story Midway Mania. I wonder if TSMM is part of the bigger game plan to return Halloween Time to DCA. I remember when TSMM first opened 9 years ago, in some article or another an official Disney person (probably someone specifically involved in bringing TSMM to DCA) mentioned that it would be easy to switch up TSMM for Halloween and/or Holiday Season overlays. In fact, one of the things that was mentioned in an article I read was that Mr. Potato Head's banter for a Halloween and Holiday version of TSMM was already recorded -- including his own spin on Christmas songs and whatever else. And yet.... what happened to the overlay(s)? Was the plan abandoned? Could it be part of a "Toy Story Midway Mania 10-Year Anniversary" plan for 2018? Could the first TSMM overlay happen in 2019, when the 4th Toy Story movie debuts and everyone else is packed into Disneyland for Star Wars Land?

Having been to the Halloween party in both DL and DCA (and this was before there was a World of Color, a Cars Land or a Buena Vista Street in DCA), I can honestly say I enjoyed both versions of the event for different reasons. I wouldn't mind at all if the actual hard ticket party switched back to DCA for a few years, provided that parts of DCA are decorated once again, just to shake things up. But.... ultimately, I think the party seems to fit better in Disneyland, thematically speaking, and I suspect that more people may decide they prefer the DL version of the party over a new DCA version, after the novelty of DCA's party wears off (a few years in). I think the general atmosphere of Disneyland works a bit better with the party, but the wider walkways in DCA work better for traffic flow -- and it will be refreshing to see what a DCA party in 2018 could look like.

I agree with your thoughts about TSMM, I wonder how easy it would be to change the overlay over and if it would be easy enough to do it just for the parties (if it is as simple as play option a rather than b when "starting up") but I have no idea.
I could see potential for a holiday and Halloween Soarin, Fly over Canada had a Christmas version last year.
They could make the Halloween one over Halloweentown *squeals with excitement*

I would be fine with trying out a DCA version of the party but ultimately I agree that it belongs at DL, for me personally fireworks is a big part of it (and Disney in general) and it would need to take a big price drop for me to feel value had been retained without fireworks

UGH! I do not want a party on the 13th. It is our Disneyland day. May have to buy tickets so we can spend the day in the parks. :headache:

Been to a few party's, this year will be the first time my kids are old enough to choose their own costume. So, For those of you that have dressed up for the party....exactly how strict are they on the rules? My 4 year old really wants to go as Luke and me as Obi-wan, but previously posted rules pretty much say Jedi robes are out..."no capes that touch the ground or layered costumes"...im pretty sure I've seen them before though. Would hate to get his hopes up to get the costume dismantled at the gate.

No, you should be fine! We had a pirate in our group, who wore an over jacket that came to the ground (pretty similar to Obi-Wan) last year when they started the more strict rules. I would have the cape barely skim the ground, more for safety so no one steps on it. Have fun! :)

A Jedi robe should be fine. If you are concerned about the costume being turned away (which I certainly don't think will be the case), you can always bring a few safety pins to temporarily raise the hem, but that would more be for your own peace of mind than anything.

I recall seeing Jedis last year, along with other guests in costumes that almost went to the ground (I don't recall seeing anyone with a costume that dragged on the ground). I think what the rules are trying to say is that if you're wearing a costume that is layered, you may be subject to additional security screening. What they really don't want is costumes that touch or drag on the ground because those can get caught in ride vehicles, be stepped on by other guests, etc. So as long as your robe doesn't touch the ground, I think you'll be fine.

Does anyone know when Halloweentime officially begins in Disneyland? I swear I read on one of these threads that it started September 9th or 10th. I'm wondering if they usually have the overlays done before start of Halloween like other decorations. Does anyone know how long it would take to do overlays for gog or rsr? I'm asking because I'll be there the 10th and have my fingers crossed as I'm trying to get my husband to go to Disneyland instead of wdw and rsr is my selling point!

Does anyone know when Halloweentime officially begins in Disneyland?
I don't think it's been announced for this year yet, so the best we can do is guess based on past years. Based on my memory, I think the weekend you mentioned (9th/10th) is a pretty good guess, but I don't have the previous dates in front of me so I might be off. We don't know how extensive the potential GOG or RSR overlays would be either, so it's hard to say how long they would take to set up. There should be an announcement about Halloween dates soon (I think it was mid-July last year) so if you don't have to nail down your plans right away, you should have more concrete info soon. If your dates fall after the start of Halloween time, I would expect all ride overlays to be finished.

Well, I think we can safely say that we will likely have our answers to what is happening with this year's Halloween Time season sometime between Wednesday, July 5th and Friday, July 14th. Somewhere in that window of time is when the announcement will come out. If there are new ride overlays or anything else new to report, the Parks Blog might break the news a few days earlier than usual.

For the last 3 years (2014 - 2016), the Halloween Time announcements/blogs came out on Wednesdays. The last time the Halloween Time blog appeared on a day other than Wednesday was in 2013. However, the Monday blog in 2013 and the Wednesday blog in 2014 were very early in July. The Halloween Time announcements didn't shift to mid-July until 2015.

So. to narrow it down even further... I think the main days we have to keep our eyes trained on for info are Wed., July 5th and Wed., July 12th, with July 12th having a slight edge because it is possible that a lot of people would miss a blog on July 5th if they are still away on July 4th vacations and what not.

After July 5th and July 12th, the next most likely days for Halloween Time announcements would be 7/6, 7/10, 7/11 or 7/13. I think we can rule out July 7th and July 14th as announcement days.

As for when the Halloween Time season starts, I can't picture DLR waiting until 9/15 to get things going at this rate, when it is such a popular season. So my first inclination would be that the season would start on Friday, September 8th.

However... IF there are new ride overlays coming to RSR and the Guardians ride this year, to start the season on 9/8 could possibly mean that at least one of those rides would be closed on Labor Day Weekend (depending on how extensive the overlay might be), along with Haunted Mansion over in Disneyland being down, and Space Mountain shortly thereafter. The overlays might not be that extensive and they might not require that much down time, but I can't imagine that Disney would want all of those popular rides down on or around a holiday, but... who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Another less likely option is that they could start the season on a day other than a Friday (as they have done with the holiday season), so that it's not as late as 9/15, but not as early as 9/8.

This will be my first Halloween anything (not a big celebration in Australia, sadly), I am fretting about what to wear and it's still months away...

Well, I think we can safely say that we will likely have our answers to what is happening with this year's Halloween Time season sometime between Wednesday, July 5th and Friday, July 14th.

I had to completely grin at this post - just like me, gathering too much data, analyzing it and trying to figure things out ... :rolleyes1
So excited though, that it looks like we'll hear relatively soon what's going on!:maleficen

I have not read all of this thread. I am not interested in the Halloween party events, but I am interested in the tour - Happy Haunts? Does anyone have any info on this or a link? When does Disney make these available? I checked DLR's website for tours and could not find anything. Thanks!

:wizard:

I had to completely grin at this post - just like me, gathering too much data, analyzing it and trying to figure things out ... :rolleyes1
So excited though, that it looks like we'll hear relatively soon what's going on!:maleficen

Oh, I've been here for years, doing that very thing! I was a moderator here for 8 years (until very recently), and led really active, popular Halloween Time and Holiday Season Superthreads since 2010. I've been dispensing and gathering Halloween and Holiday season news and data and analyzing it here on DISboards for a long time -- that's how I know what has happened in previous years so well, as far as dates and announcements and all of that. That's how my mind works, and people seem to appreciate the info.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned else where, but any speculation on how Fantasmic will be scheduled in October? I'm guessing it isn't scheduled on party nights?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter