2017 DISNEYLAND RESORT HALLOWEEN TIME / MICKEY'S HALLOWEEN PARTY THREAD!

Dear Disney, it is Monday morning & I'm doing everything I can to procrastinate because I really don't want to start in on this huge pile of work. Help a girl out and release those party dates so I can plan a Halloween Disneyland trip instead?

I am right there with you please please please.... I am a planner at heart and even though my trip is months away I would love to be able to at least pretend to be planning and thinking about dates...

So if the season doesn't start until the 15th what do we think our chances are of the first party being the 22nd?

So if the season doesn't start until the 15th what do we think our chances are of the first party being the 22nd?

Well, the tradition, as we know, has always been to start the party exactly 2 weeks after the season begins (and the season has always begun on a Friday). This could be a year when Disney breaks tradition and starts the season on a non-Friday -- like, perhaps, Wednesday, 9/13 or something random like Tuesday, 9/12, with the 2 Disneyland overlays opening on 9/15. If that is the case, I think the party would probably start on 9/22.

But... if the season is actually starting on 9/15, I can't picture Disney wanting to wait until 9/29 to start the party when they could be making extra money off of extra party nights! I think they could still try to aim for 9/22, but who knows?

I wonder if Space Mountain being closed from Aug. 21 - Sept 14th is a good indicator of a Sept. 15th Halloween season start?

I wonder if Space Mountain being closed from Aug. 21 - Sept 14th is a good indicator of a Sept. 15th Halloween season start?
I was just looking at that, seems it would make sense... Have it switched over and ready for opening Halloween season... and the wait continues :snail:

That's what I've been talking about in the thread since figment_jii posted here this morning -- the possible 9/15 start date, or other possible options for start dates (like random weekdays, as mentioned above).

That's what I've been talking about in the thread since figment_jii posted here this morning -- the possible 9/15 start date, or other possible options for start dates (like random weekdays, as mentioned above).

Dang, I was really hoping for the 8th (Bonus earlier Halloween season!!!), but I guess it's not looking good for that day. The 15th just seems to late for some reason. Buuuut this is coming from someone who is already looking at Halloween costumes.:rolleyes1:maleficen

Dang, I was really hoping for the 8th (Bonus earlier Halloween season!!!), but I guess it's not looking good for that day. The 15th just seems to late for some reason. Buuuut this is coming from someone who is already looking at Halloween costumes.:rolleyes1:maleficen

Well, I am a crazy person who hopes for early signs of Halloween items on store shelves in July -- because I cannot tolerate summer and want to fast forward to fall! If I can see the early arrivals of some random Halloween candy, or a harvest wreath or two, it is a light at the end of the tunnel! Every year I anxiously await the appearance of the Glade Fall scent collection (in August), as it is a sign that summer is careening to a close!

I just assumed that Disney would go with a 9/8 start date for Halloween Time this year because they went with 9/9 last year. It's only the difference of one calendar date. And 9/15 does seem too late at this point, based on what Disney has been doing in the last couple of years, and the popularity of the season in general.

However, the fact that Space Mountain is supposed to be down through 9/14 does point to 9/15 as being significant for some reason.

It is possible, as I have said here before, that they could do something weird like start the Halloween Time season on a non-Friday weekday -- maybe 9/10, or 9/13. Something between 9/8 and 9/15, as sort of a compromise. But even if that happened, Space Mountain would still likely be down through 9/14, and who even knows when Haunted Mansion is closing for its overlay? So, at that rate, they might as well just start the whole season on 9/15.

Emaillblast sent out today says "Halloween season starting sept 15"

Edit to add: this was a Disney Rewards email
Aaack! We will be there with park days September 13, 14, and 15. I guess I should be happy that I will have one official day to ride HMH and Ghost Galaxy, but I was really hoping for it to start the week before.

Now I'm starting to freak out a bit. I know there was talk about a RSR and Guardians overlay for Halloween. I REALLY hope those won't be down in DCA on the 13th and 14th as that'd really effect crowds on other rides. Panic mode starting in 3, 2, 1...

Last edited:

Thank you for that info! I haven't even checked my email today. It sounds like Disney Rewards beat the Parks Blog to the punch in terms of announcing the actual season start date! But now that the date is floating around, there is nothing stopping the Parks Blog from putting out the official info with season dates, party dates, etc. So that should be coming tomorrow. I can't see any reason to wait, although there is a slight chance that something Halloween-ish could be mentioned at the Expo this weekend (but that's probably unlikely).

So this tidbit confirms what we started to think yesterday, after figment_jii mentioned seeing Space Mountain's closure dates.

I'm still surprised that they are going with 9/15 since they went with 9/9 as an opening date last year, but there must be a method to the madness.

Aaack! We will be there with park days September 13, 14, and 15. I guess I should be happy that I will have one official day to ride HMH and Ghost Galaxy, but I was really hoping for it to start the week before.

Now I'm starting to freak out a bit. I know there was talk about a RSR and Guardians overlay for Halloween. I REALLY hope those won't be down in DCA on the 13th and 14th as that'd really effect crowds on other rides. Panic mode starting in 3, 2, 1...

Based on what they did last year, there was no reason to think the season would start later than 9/8 this year. That would have been a reasonable assumption. Just when we think we have them nailed down to a pattern, they switch things up on us!

Well, there is no reason to panic yet -- until we get more information from the Disney Parks Blog as to what is involved in this year's Halloween Time season, and when everything will be up and running (for example, maybe some things will be open on 9/15; maybe some things will open after 9/15?). The later start date could be interpreted as a necessary evil, if Disney plans to do 4 ride overlays for Halloween Time (2 per park) -- which still seems a bit extreme to me -- and needs the extra time to take on that task. It's not that I would not want 4 overlays for Halloween Time, but it just sounds like more than what I would expect Disney to do all at one time.

That said, I still think there is a good chance for the 2 overlays in DCA to happen, just because the rumors are so specific and because they came out pretty close to when the official Halloween Time announcement will come out.

I may if rsr and gog are down when we go on the 10-12. Seriously. Cry. I wanted hubby to go on rsr so I could convince him to start coming here instead of wdw. Cry.

I may if rsr and gog are down when we go on the 10-12. Seriously. Cry. I wanted hubby to go on rsr so I could convince him to start coming here instead of wdw. Cry.
I know exactly what you mean. We rented DVC points almost a year in advance. I knew I was taking a gamble with Halloween possibly starting on the 15th, but I never foresaw RSR or Guardians being included in Halloween. We will be so so disappointed if they are closed the majority of our stay.

The Parks Blog is on schedule and not really late if they announce the details tomorrow. That would be following the same Wednesday pattern of the last few years. So just hang in there, everyone! :goodvibes An extra day or two to wait is not going to make a difference in anyone's planning.

A lot of us here are used to this wait by now, after years of going through it. We know the info is coming, so I don't think it's the timing of the announcement that is the surprise to us -- but, rather, the recent rumors of the ride overlays that have added an extra bit of mystery to everything. (Also, quite frankly, I just want to know if DCA is going to finally get some Halloween decorations once again!)

As for major rides being down at the same time, sure... it could happen. But the overlays on the 2 DCA rides might not be that extensive, especially the Guardians ride. If they are not that extensive, they won't require the same amount of down time as, for example, Haunted Mansion requires. Usually, Space Mountain only needs several days of down time for its Halloween overlay. This upcoming SM closure is different -- not the norm at all.

Just as a point of reference, when the Holiday season ends in January, Disney does not shut down both Haunted Mansion Holiday and It's a Small World Holiday at the same time for overlay removal (each ride requires an extensive set-up and removal period of time). They close HM first to remove the overlay, and then, when HM opens back up in its regular form, It's a Small World Holiday closes down for its own overlay removal. So the closures are not simultaneous. There could be some sort of similar staggered closure in the works for the Halloween overlays.

Ah we land on the 8th (Sept) depart in the 23rd.
We have 10 park days and the only one set in stone is the 11th (DDs Bday). We are going 3-4 days in Vegas.
Waiting in closures and more info to decide what days to do Vegas and dying to know if we will get a party in the 22nd or not!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter