2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** Updated 7/29 with Corral Info

Greetings...

Does anybody know if they have a standby list for cancellations on the 5K?

Registration just opened a couple of days ago and it's already sold out! My family was looking forward to running in this event.

Thanks!

Yeah the only way to get in is via charities and travel groups now. They haven't done a wait list for the races since 2011 I think? I know they did it one of the years I ran the Disneyland half but its been years so I'm inclined to think it was the first year I did the race. It's always fun when things put how long I've been running in perspective. Like this.

Updated the 2nd post with our registered runners! If I missed you, let me know and if you're new to the thread, don't be shy!

In my running world I'm looking forward to getting back to running soon. Yesterday was my first day at work since Tink where my knee wasn't bothering me. Gonna try going for a jog tomorrow after work. I really want to start training again soon!

Updated the 2nd post with our registered runners! If I missed you, let me know and if you're new to the thread, don't be shy!

In my running world I'm looking forward to getting back to running soon. Yesterday was my first day at work since Tink where my knee wasn't bothering me. Gonna try going for a jog tomorrow after work. I really want to start training again soon!

Hii. :) you missed me, but that's cuz I'm new to the boards. I'll be running all 3 events, 5k + Dumbo. :)

You got my 5k, but missed my 10k.

Good luck with your jog :goodvibes

You can add me to the half. I just did my first half at WDW in January so will be trying for my coast to coast medal!

OMG, I didn't realize the kids races were already sold out. My kids are running events at WDW for the PHM weekend and I was planning to ask them after that if they'd like to do it again at DL. Oops. Oh well - guess it's up to me to do all the running!

I got signed up for the Half during early registration. Alas didn't check the DVC page while I was obsessively checking the AP page, so missed out on that $10 off I could have had.

Then on the 28th my brother was able to sign up! He's going to set my pace (he's been running for decades now) and I think he's looking forward to having someone running with him even though I'll keep him on the course WAY longer than he has to be there.

This will also be a CoastToCoast for me. That medal is pretty much the only reason I'm doing it; this race is absolutely positively stupidly expensive, and so far I actually haven't found the Disney races to be all that fabulous and definitely NOT worth the extra cost...so this might be the last one I do. The Wine&Dine intrigues me, just to have a redo of a night race (did TOT in October), but probably not this year.

Definitely avoid LAX if at all possible! Sadly, it's not an option for me, but if I could fly into John Wayne, I would gladly pay extra to avoid the chaos that is LAX.

It's all so personal, and like you mentioned, you deal with the international terminal. Though honestly DH has gone out of the int'l terminal and wasn't upset with it at all.

I like LAX. Both going into and out of. I don't like picking up at the airport there, though. That's mainly because I didn't know how to get to the cell phone lot, so I had to circle something like 15 times before DH finally got outside. :) But as a traveler I quite like it.

It's hard to say. It was more of a personal preference for me. If I remember the goal of C25K correctly, it's to work your way up to running the full 5K without stopping. Is that correct? It's been a long time since I've looked at it. The difference with Galloway's method is that he completely encourages the run/walk intervals no matter how seasoned a runner you are.

FWIW, there are many different types of couch to 5K programs. I used one through a website I cannot recall right now that was a walk/run program. It wasn't Galloway, either.

Prices include the 17% sales tax, but do not include the resort fee, if you are driving into the resort. Our contracted resort fee is $12 per day/ up to two vehicles per room, the normal resort fee is $15 per day. The 3 Disney resort hotels require a 2 night minimum stay.

GET is behind the times. There hasn't been a resort fee in a few years.

Guess I will jump in here. I am turning 40 this year and really the only thing on my bucket list that I really want to do is run a Disney half marathon.

I am not a runner. I have done a 5k and did the walk/run thing. I struggle with asthma so I am just fearful of running. :( I am very determined to do this though. I started walking last week to get into a good groove. I plan on doing the walking thing 3 days a week for about 8 weeks. Then I will start on a walk/run plan. I will probably just start the Jeff Galloway plan early so if I hit any speed bumps I have time to work through them. ;)
On a good note I walked a mile today in 17 minutes. Probably not that impressive but I didn't have any asthma issues.

Here is my biggest concern ... how quickly is the half going to sell out? I can't swing the registration fee until mid Feb. :scared:

Did you get in?

Asthma...you just have to see how YOUR body works with it. I'm speaking from my own experience here; not diagnosing or assuming you are like me or anything. This is me and my experience. Since I have a sensitive stomach, have a high need for liquids and salt and fuel during a longer run, I wear a hydration backpack. This enables me to have my inhaler at hand easily.

As you train, you will see how your body reacts to the runs. Of course, with your location, like mine, our training conditions will be a bit damper than down in Anaheim (but nothing like the soup one runs through at WDW!), so it's hard to be exact. But I know that when I first started to train, I was training my lungs as well.

That's why I followed a couch to 5K program when I first started to run, it's why I repeated weeks as I needed to (going from week 4 to week 5 took a few weeks), it's why I went through the program a couple times (first for the time, then for the distance). I was training muscles, cardiovascular system, feet, and lungs. Getting them used to it all.

Then you just start to increase how far you're running. I imagine Galloway has or will have a training program for this race, and I found those to be immensely helpful for the WDW runs I've done!

sunflare, You are officially on the list! :thumbsup2 Good luck with DDD!

bumbershoot, first off congrats on getting in for the half! Were the discounts working during the pre-registrations? I never was able to figure that out. I was so focused on signing up in the first place I didn't want to waste time and possibly miss out just to save a few dollars. Work always offers us a little savings, but it doesn't start until registration officially opens and no way am I taking my chances on that! At least we are registered. I'm glad to hear your brother was able to register as well so you both have a running buddy! Good luck for your C2C!

And you are so right about other types of programs. We all just have to find what works best for us, be is C25K, Galloway's method and programs, or whatever else is out there. Trial and error is how you find what works best for you.

dwwlmw, got you added as well. Good luck with your C2C!

I got signed up for the Half during early registration. Alas didn't check the DVC page while I was obsessively checking the AP page, so missed out on that $10 off I could have had. Then on the 28th my brother was able to sign up! He's going to set my pace (he's been running for decades now) and I think he's looking forward to having someone running with him even though I'll keep him on the course WAY longer than he has to be there. This will also be a CoastToCoast for me. That medal is pretty much the only reason I'm doing it; this race is absolutely positively stupidly expensive, and so far I actually haven't found the Disney races to be all that fabulous and definitely NOT worth the extra cost...so this might be the last one I do. The Wine&Dine intrigues me, just to have a redo of a night race (did TOT in October), but probably not this year. It's all so personal, and like you mentioned, you deal with the international terminal. Though honestly DH has gone out of the int'l terminal and wasn't upset with it at all. I like LAX. Both going into and out of. I don't like picking up at the airport there, though. That's mainly because I didn't know how to get to the cell phone lot, so I had to circle something like 15 times before DH finally got outside. :) But as a traveler I quite like it. FWIW, there are many different types of couch to 5K programs. I used one through a website I cannot recall right now that was a walk/run program. It wasn't Galloway, either. GET is behind the times. There hasn't been a resort fee in a few years. Did you get in? Asthma...you just have to see how YOUR body works with it. I'm speaking from my own experience here; not diagnosing or assuming you are like me or anything. This is me and my experience. Since I have a sensitive stomach, have a high need for liquids and salt and fuel during a longer run, I wear a hydration backpack. This enables me to have my inhaler at hand easily. As you train, you will see how your body reacts to the runs. Of course, with your location, like mine, our training conditions will be a bit damper than down in Anaheim (but nothing like the soup one runs through at WDW!), so it's hard to be exact. But I know that when I first started to train, I was training my lungs as well. That's why I followed a couch to 5K program when I first started to run, it's why I repeated weeks as I needed to (going from week 4 to week 5 took a few weeks), it's why I went through the program a couple times (first for the time, then for the distance). I was training muscles, cardiovascular system, feet, and lungs. Getting them used to it all. Then you just start to increase how far you're running. I imagine Galloway has or will have a training program for this race, and I found those to be immensely helpful for the WDW runs I've done!

Just because DLR doesn't still call it that, doesn't mean it's not one. It's a parking fee now. They aren't behind the times it's just easier I think to leave their template as is. And I guess I don't understand why you would even point it out, it's cheaper than the usual $15 parking per night fee. Are you saying they don't charge any extra fees? Because if u have a car they do, $15, or $12 with the GET travel booking.

I'm in for the DDD!!

So excited and already trying to plan out costumes. I'm driving my husband crazy already. Oh, only about 200 more days to go. ;)

tangledforever, got you listed for Dumbo :thumbsup2 What are you thinking of so far for costumes? One of these years I want to do something but I never end up making/putting anything together.

tangledforever, got you listed for Dumbo :thumbsup2 What are you thinking of so far for costumes? One of these years I want to do something but I never end up making/putting anything together.

FWIW, i'll be an Incredible for the 5k, dunno yet for 10k, and Jafar for the Half. :) complete with cape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter