• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just returned from a GF RPC stay. I posted some food photos on another thread. Lounge offerings were very strong. We were with extended family and members had rooms across all categories. For me I saw a noticeable difference in the offerings in SL. Small things, but fewer options in that lounge compared to RPC. Especially noticeable for me was the lack of ciabatta bread in SL. I love the spinach and artichoke dip and they had no bread in SL. Just the lavash, long cracker like breadsticks and the the little olive rounds that I don't like. Our trips are my cue to splurge so sue me but I like a little bread with my dip.

Also, noticed that while my favorite CM's were still in RPC, I really did not know anyone working in SL. Friends in SL agreed they would not return to that lounge. It was even more chaotic than usual and I am not sure why but it seems to attract guests who frankly seem a bit rude.

Our outer building friends experienced very lackluster housekeeping. Oddly, they received an overabundance of toiletries but very few towels every single day. Turndown was hit or miss although they were told that it is by request outside of CL now. As usual during New Year's the resort is very crowded in the afternoon/evenings

We have found the service and offerings at Gasparilla's greatly improved lately. One of the manager's Anna went out of her way to help a family member with allergies after MVMCP when pizza was the only late night offering.

Finally, although the refurb was really not that long ago the furniture is starting to show some wear and tear. Hopefully, the next refurb will be conducted with a mind towards more storage space and more quality fit and finishes. The bathrooms are badly in need of a complete refurb. For a flagship resort the last refurb was very poorly planned and seems to reflect more of a desire to cut costs rather than enhance the spaces. Honestly, the BC, YC and Coronado refurbs were much more successful from a functionality aspect.

Also, we have used Minnie Van on our last 3 trips and love them more and more each time. We used them a lot this trip as we had 50% off our Lyft rides and I was pleasantly surprised that this carried over to Minnie Van. I still miss the express in park buses but Minnie Van is a great service if convenience is your primary concern. Happy to answer questions if I can.

Hi there!

Thanks for the update. We're staying GF RPC in a few weeks. Do you know which mornings and evenings the chef was on hand preparing dishes? Wasn't sure if they had a set schedule.

Also, how was the security line getting on the monorail? I read elsewhere that it was pretty backed up.

We just returned from a GF RPC stay. I posted some food photos on another thread. Lounge offerings were very strong. We were with extended family and members had rooms across all categories. For me I saw a noticeable difference in the offerings in SL. Small things, but fewer options in that lounge compared to RPC. Especially noticeable for me was the lack of ciabatta bread in SL. I love the spinach and artichoke dip and they had no bread in SL. Just the lavash, long cracker like breadsticks and the the little olive rounds that I don't like. Our trips are my cue to splurge so sue me but I like a little bread with my dip.

Also, noticed that while my favorite CM's were still in RPC, I really did not know anyone working in SL. Friends in SL agreed they would not return to that lounge. It was even more chaotic than usual and I am not sure why but it seems to attract guests who frankly seem a bit rude.

Our outer building friends experienced very lackluster housekeeping. Oddly, they received an overabundance of toiletries but very few towels every single day. Turndown was hit or miss although they were told that it is by request outside of CL now. As usual during New Year's the resort is very crowded in the afternoon/evenings

We have found the service and offerings at Gasparilla's greatly improved lately. One of the manager's Anna went out of her way to help a family member with allergies after MVMCP when pizza was the only late night offering.

Finally, although the refurb was really not that long ago the furniture is starting to show some wear and tear. Hopefully, the next refurb will be conducted with a mind towards more storage space and more quality fit and finishes. The bathrooms are badly in need of a complete refurb. For a flagship resort the last refurb was very poorly planned and seems to reflect more of a desire to cut costs rather than enhance the spaces. Honestly, the BC, YC and Coronado refurbs were much more successful from a functionality aspect.

Also, we have used Minnie Van on our last 3 trips and love them more and more each time. We used them a lot this trip as we had 50% off our Lyft rides and I was pleasantly surprised that this carried over to Minnie Van. I still miss the express in park buses but Minnie Van is a great service if convenience is your primary concern. Happy to answer questions if I can.
!

Hi there!

Thanks for the update. We're staying GF RPC in a few weeks. Do you know which mornings and evenings the chef was on hand preparing dishes? Wasn't sure if they had a set schedule.

Also, how was the security line getting on the monorail? I read elsewhere that it was pretty backed up.

!

We did not experience any waits for security or to board the monorail but we also did not choose peak times to travel to parks. We went primarily either in the early am or the late pm. I believe they had the chefs in the lounge more often for this busy week and seem to recall they were there on Wed and Sat/Sun but YMMV and I could have the days wrong. I have not asked if there is a schedule for the chef's.

We had brunch at Narcoossee's for what will most likely be our last time before it closes(brunch service not the restaurant). Rather sad, great experience and it was actually quite busy this time. We have done this 4 times now and had a great experience at each. Went from being the only guests in the restaurant the first time to almost every table filled this trip. I cannot fathom how this was not profitable enough to continue. I know the first several months were rough but I thought it had found a following.

We had brunch at Narcoossee's for what will most likely be our last time before it closes(brunch service not the restaurant). Rather sad, great experience and it was actually quite busy this time. We have done this 4 times now and had a great experience at each. Went from being the only guests in the restaurant the first time to almost every table filled this trip. I cannot fathom how this was not profitable enough to continue. I know the first several months were rough but I thought it had found a following.

I LOVE the brunch at Narcoossee's-- I so wish they would continue it-- very sad to see it go :(

The GF buildings are well laid out and I don't think any of them is too far of a walk, especially for a runner. ;) But if you are worried about it, you could request to be close to the main building. We had a room in Big Pine Key and it was very convenient to the lobby and the quiet pool. :)

Thanks @Wood Nymph for the useful info! I am a runner, but just came off the "year of injuries" so I was a little more concerned about it this past year than in the past. Fingers crossed though that it won't be an issue this upcoming year! Of course I thought I should go look at a map again and then it doesn't seem that spread out. I don't know why I feel like it is. (Maybe it was walking to the spa when 6 months pregnant in August ages ago during construction??????) . Either way, I'm sure it will be fine! And a nice room by the quiet pool sounds blissfully quiet! I loved our stay at the Boardwalk, but our room was anything but quiet! ;)

Bummer! I missed this was being discontinued. I'd been thinking of it for a post race celebratory meal! We did California Grill this past year and it wonderful, but thought it would be fun to try something new.

How is the view of HEA from Gasparilla Grill outdoor seating? Is it a popular place to watch?

How is the view of HEA from Gasparilla Grill outdoor seating? Is it a popular place to watch?

These pics are technically of Wishes, but same concept. I thought it was a nice place to watch with good audio. The lighting is pretty bright in this particular area so don’t expect a “dark” setting. Other than people not being quiet for the show on this night (which can happen anywhere), no complaints!

IMG_6865.JPG IMG_6877.JPG

These pics are technically of Wishes, but same concept. I thought it was a nice place to watch with good audio. The lighting is pretty bright in this particular area so don’t expect a “dark” setting. Other than people not being quiet for the show on this night (which can happen anywhere), no complaints!

View attachment 291741 View attachment 291742

Hey! Happy New Year! How was your trip?!

Me and my 2 DDs are considering going to WDW next year on Jan. 1st for the rest of the 1st week of January. Can anyone tell me if the Christmas decorations at the Grand Floridian are still up? Also, are decorations up in the parks still? Thanks!!

Me and my 2 DDs are considering going to WDW next year on Jan. 1st for the rest of the 1st week of January. Can anyone tell me if the Christmas decorations at the Grand Floridian are still up? Also, are decorations up in the parks still? Thanks!!
The Christmas decorations in the parks are usually still up through that first week of January. The resort decorations are still up on Jan 1st. But you’ll see the resort decorations coming down very quickly. Many are gone by the 4th.

Does Gasparilla Grill still have a soft serve ice cream machine? Doesn't seem to be included on recent menus that I've found. . .

The Christmas decorations in the parks are usually still up through that first week of January. The resort decorations are still up on Jan 1st. But you’ll see the resort decorations coming down very quickly. Many are gone by the 4th.

Many of the resort decorations remain for the first few days of a new year. Last year, the gingerbread house was dismantled on New Year's Day. The tree stayed and the reindeer around the grounds were still in place when we left the GF on the 4th of January.

.Reindeer1.jpg
This was one of the last photos we took before leaving last January.

Back during Irma the cabanas at the main pool were damaged. Don't think I've seen a recent pic around here of what's there at the moment...so got a quick pic from the monorail a few days ago. At one point a CM told me they were waiting until the upcoming pool refurb to replace them with real cabanas, but obviously take that with a grain of salt.

Just FWIW!

Cabanas - Dec 2017.jpg

I did not see it there on my trip in October after the most recent remodel.
That's unfortunate. Sure, there are great desserts at the Grill, but some days just need some soft serve. Sadly, could be a factor (aside from the $$$ difference) in choosing BCV over VGF. Then again, can just hop on the monorail to get soft serve elsewhere. . . sigh. Does the Poly have soft serve??

That's unfortunate. Sure, there are great desserts at the Grill, but some days just need some soft serve. Sadly, could be a factor (aside from the $$$ difference) in choosing BCV over VGF. Then again, can just hop on the monorail to get soft serve elsewhere. . . sigh. Does the Poly have soft serve??

The poly is a lovely short walk away from the villas building and over there they have DOLE WHIP! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter