(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh also if I end at Epcot near England /gateway I walk to bwi(bc works too) and bus to MK. Then from there I can boat or mono back to my mono area resort.

It just feels more relaxing vs fighting crowds in the park and walking up and up and up that mono ramp. With mom this route was a life saver.

Thanks everybody for the info on transportation, very helpful. We switched to GF thinking it would be a lot easier to get around being on the loop but I guess I was wrong lol there aren't many rooms available at ANY resort at this point (we're going W&D race week) but I might keep checking a few times a day to see if a Poly or Contemporary room pop up in the meantime. GF looks so gorgeous though so I don't know if I will mind the inconvenience of transportation to parks.

I guess on the positive side (other than GF rooms/grounds looking amazing) we're eating 8 of our 12 TS meals at either GF, CR, Poly, or inside MK.

I'll agree that transportation was probably the biggest drawback about our stay this week at GF, except for MK, of course. Even with our arrival on Disney Magical Express, the bus stopped at Ft Wilderness, then Wilderness Lodge, then Bay Lake Towers, then Poly, and THEN Grand Floridian.

I'm glad you posted this! We're staying at GF starting next weekend. I decided to grab a car rental for the day to get from the airport because I was thinking that ME may make multiple stops. The car was only $38 and we'll drop off our stuff, grab some quick snacks from CL and then go drop it off at the Dolphin. Our plans are for Epcot the first day.

I'm glad you posted this! We're staying at GF starting next weekend. I decided to grab a car rental for the day to get from the airport because I was thinking that ME may make multiple stops. The car was only $38 and we'll drop off our stuff, grab some quick snacks from CL and then go drop it off at the Dolphin. Our plans are for Epcot the first day.
Every time we have stayed at either the GF or WL the Magical Express went to Poly first, then GF, then WL - except this past February when it went to FW, then WL, then Poly and GF.

I'm sure every trip is different, but ours was probably the worst case scenario with us being stop #5 of 5. To top it off, we were the only family going to GF, and they took our luggage off at the Poly, so he had to go double back there to get it. I guess that would make us technically stop #6 of 6. Not a great way to start our trip.

I agree with the others. Getting to Epcot we uber or Minnie. However as long as we don't leave at park closing I do mono back, since I'm not in a hurry at that time that works.( Unless I'll miss cl desserts of course then I NEEDto get back).

@PolyRob i have us at bwi for Epcot/HS we are doing on a Saturday. I have gf rpc 9/16-19 for me and dd and convinced dh he might as well come for a day since I'll not be home to cook for him. Why not F&W? We arrive at midnight Fri and I have soarin late morning then eat for lunch wandering Epcot. Then he didn't get to come for the 4th so I figure eat dinner at Epcot then head to HS to see slinky dog. Maybe jump in line at 9p since we can just WALK back :)

Then we will get up and uber to gf for cl breakfast, dd decided to take vaca time to see her dad so now she is arriving Saturday am. They both not happy about BWI but ya know. mom knows best lol.

Ds hack in college but even after 3 trips this year I think he wants "In" for F&W too. If homework isn't too bad I may need to add him. My guys don't like the rides so much but they love the food at WDW :rolleyes1 :rotfl:
My son and DIL go to the FW show every chance they can get. I have to try this as well. Appreciate your no-nonsense approach on getting around and the timing of it all.

It seems to make sense to go FW, WL, Poly then GF. Otherwise would the bus driver drive behind MK to get to BLT or WL from the GF?

We just got to the Grand yesterday and ME only stopped at Poly first and then the Grand. We got to it about 10am.
Just an FYI.

Got in around the same time on the 15th and we went to OKW, SSR, POR and then the grand...it was a long trip.

Leaving was a while different story. We were the last stop left GF at 10am and our flight wasn’t until 1:30. From now on we will be using a Minnie van to get to the airport. I get security is an issue but that was an insane waste of time.

Since only registered guests can use the pool, you have to be a registered Grand Floridian guest to rent a cabana.

Actually we rented one while we were there and were told anyone can rent them for the day. You do not have to be a resort guest and I asked a manager.
The other thing that bothered me was how multiple times we heard people talking about not being guests there. There was a family on the bus back from AK talking about how they were just going to use the pool. :sad2: They really need to install magic band scanners...it won’t stop it but at least may deter some people.

Actually we rented one while we were there and were told anyone can rent them for the day. You do not have to be a resort guest and I asked a manager.
The other thing that bothered me was how multiple times we heard people talking about not being guests there. There was a family on the bus back from AK talking about how they were just going to use the pool. :sad2: They really need to install magic band scanners...it won’t stop it but at least may deter some people.

I guess it depends on who you talk to. I asked when we rented one and were told it was only for registered guests.

Every time we have stayed at either the GF or WL the Magical Express went to Poly first, then GF, then WL - except this past February when it went to FW, then WL, then Poly and GF.
Me too.

I think
It seems to make sense to go FW, WL, Poly then GF. Otherwise would the bus driver drive behind MK to get to BLT or WL from the GF?
i go to mono resorts several times a year. The most common route is poly then gf . Less often FW or WL then CR then poly gf.

Got in around the same time on the 15th and we went to OKW, SSR, POR and then the grand...it was a long trip.

Leaving was a while different story. We were the last stop left GF at 10am and our flight wasn’t until 1:30. From now on we will be using a Minnie van to get to the airport. I get security is an issue but that was an insane waste of time.
I think Minnie van to airport is cl perk @ 150 one way FYI . Unless there has been a recent change,

@dansdad is that correct?

My son and DIL go to the FW show every chance they can get. I have to try this as well. Appreciate your no-nonsense approach on getting around and the timing of it all.
if I'm staying at CR /blt I do this FYI.

I leave any park and bus to WL if I just missed my bus or want a boat ride.

So say I leave HS and miss bus. I grab one to WL then boat from there to CR. That's far more relaxing than standing in a line waiting lol.

Even for poly/gf dd and I do that just because a bus missed can be a pain. We also enjoy checking the resort shops so it's a win-win for us girls.

mom knows best lol.

Haha yes! It took numerous trips and transportation fails for my family to listen to me about the split. Now I couldn't imagine going back!

if I'm staying at CR /blt I do this FYI.

I leave any park and bus to WL if I just missed my bus or want a boat ride.

So say I leave HS and miss bus. I grab one to WL then boat from there to CR. That's far more relaxing than standing in a line waiting lol.

Even for poly/gf dd and I do that just because a bus missed can be a pain. We also enjoy checking the resort shops so it's a win-win for us girls.

I do this too! I will even leave Epcot through the IG and walk to BC to pickup an ice cream at Beaches and Cream or something and then Lyft/Minnie Van "home." Love using alternate routes!

Someone asked me to grab them a popcorn bucket at the party tonight. I don’t remember who it was. I have it and am here till Monday.

Ds hack in college but even after 3 trips this year I think he wants "In" for F&W too. If homework isn't too bad I may need to add him. My guys don't like the rides so much but they love the food at WDW :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Same here, the kids like some of the big rides and of course the bars!!:drinking1

Oh also if I end at Epcot near England /gateway I walk to bwi(bc works too) and bus to MK. Then from there I can boat or mono back to my mono area resort.

It just feels more relaxing vs fighting crowds in the park and walking up and up and up that mono ramp. With mom this route was a life saver.

We love heading out that way too. Sometimes we stop by Jellyrolls too now that DD is 21. So talented!!

Wow, I am making plans for adding a day at Universal and I never thought to rent a car. That has to be more economical then a shuttle and we can come a go whenever we want. Do you pick it up and drop it off at the GF?:car:

I'm sure every trip is different, but ours was probably the worst case scenario with us being stop #5 of 5. To top it off, we were the only family going to GF, and they took our luggage off at the Poly, so he had to go double back there to get it. I guess that would make us technically stop #6 of 6. Not a great way to start our trip.

OMG my DH would have flipped!! He always watches when we stop at other resorts and we make fun of him, I guess we have to stop doing that!!:rolleyes1

I have rented cabanas for years and years, I have never been told that you can rent one if your not a guest. There only 4 and they sold out most days!! Also, when you check they check that your a guest at the hotel??

I guess it depends on who you talk to. I asked when we rented one and were told it was only for registered guests.

I would hate to hear that their doing that, we have such a hard time sometimes getting the one we prefer and I usually rent them 180 days out just make sure I get ONE.

I do this too! I will even leave Epcot through the IG and walk to BC to pickup an ice cream at Beaches and Cream or something and then Lyft/Minnie Van "home." Love using alternate routes![/QUOTE said:
We do too, sometimes you find some really cool stores, bars etc.
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter