(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, can't believe how lucky we got for our trip coming up: Gasparilla Grill closes THE DAY we leave:earseek: We love eating there for a quick breakfast and would have been so bummed if it weren't open while we were there... thanking the Dis-Gods right now!!:thumbsup2

Speaking of the monorail, is the work on the monorail going to be going on forever? It seems like this servicing has been taking a long time. Anyone know?
I know, last Aug we had to take a bus to Epcot for rope drop. Looks like this summer it's same?
Anyone there now that can confirm?

Shopping question for you all- does Summer Lace offer plus size clothing? TIA

I am not entirely sure. I don't recall seeing plus size clothing. I can only remember seeing sizes up to XL. I'm not even sure if they have anything past a size 14.

Does anyone else know? I am curious, too.

i know that they definitely have never stocked any when i have looked. i shopped there as recently as april 2015.

In answer to all of the above...I concur Lisann and Beth.. Was just there last month...and largest size that I saw was a 14..and XL....but they do also carry some nice casual shoes..including crocs..and H2O products..Vera bags..Dooneys and Pandora charms...:thumbsup2 so lots of good shopping to available!

We often visit the pool bar near the beach. So nice to have the view of poly/cr and castle while having an adult beverage.

:drinking1:cloud9:

And the food is pretty good too!

Yes it is...and its always about the food after all!! lol....:mickeybar

It's not at the GF but I'm excited to try Trader Sam's at the Poly when we are at the GF in November...it looks like it's going to be pretty cool!

Me too....heard it a lots of fun...and just a short walkaway from the GF.....:goodvibes

Loving all the pics! Staying at the Grand SL in November, can't wait!!! 1st time staying club level

How nice...You are in for a treat!! CL is so nice while on vacation..and CL at the GF is just grand! :goodvibes

So, after moving our GF reservation to the Poly, I just moved us back to GF this morning. Does anyone else do that? I book, nitpick, change, nitpick, change. Ugh, such drama I create!:sad2:
I wanted to try a different resort this trip, and the Poly was my childhood resort, but the truth is, the Poly can't give us what GF can - no construction and a guaranteed balcony. :-):yay:

We will, however, be walking over to the Poly a few times - breakfast, a Lapu Lapu and perhaps some hula lessons. :-)

I am over the moon though to be coming back to GF. :cloud9:
You will find me by the pool with a Skinny Coconut Mojito October 22-28!

have a great trip! ::yes::

Yep....I do that. I just did that AGAIN this morning. GF is amazing you will love it. That said, I am not doing 2 nights next month. However the SOLE reason I changed is to avoid packing up for two nights. We had Poly booked last summer and this summer but I just couldn't stay there with the construction so IMO GF is the BEST alternative. Gorgeous grounds, big rooms, beach, monorail, balcony, and the nicest CMs!!

Whhhhaaaattttt!!!!!!! pas....lol...You resort changer you! lol....Wishing the pas clan a fab stay no matter which resort you decide to stay at!! :goodvibes

It's a really pretty walk along the lake. Is it reasonable? I'd say it's a lovely walk except when it's super-hot (my family isn't used to the heat and humidity of some FL days) and when your feet aren't already sore from walking in the parks. We have chosen to walk to the Poly for dinner at times, and at other times we took the boat or monorail.

Hey you! :hug: I agree..a lovely walk...and never seems very long...also the boat is such a nice alternative...:thumbsup2

Good monorail questions, I'm curious myself. I haven't stayed at a monorail resort since 1995, so I'm not sure how much time I'll need to give myself each morning.

The monorail ride over to the MK just takes a few minutes...but as a rule of thumb I would always suggest a half an hour....The water launch is an alternative...but it stops at the Poly on the way to the MK....on the way back from the MK the GF is the first stop..and a choice we often take advantage of onour return to the resort....

~ Candelight processional package info...Booking are now available for those that are interested..most nights 3 shows 5, 6:45 and 8:15 pm...It seems from what I have read on the restaurant boards you can choose different times than the show time assigned with your meal booking...?? Wonder how that will work???????????? :upsidedow lol...Just thought I'd share the info ....

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a wonderful Wednesday...:flower: preppy GF gal who was has happily booked a Candelight Processional dinner package for our trip...:santa:

Whhhhaaaattttt!!!!!!! pas....lol...You resort changer you! lol....Wishing the pas clan a fab stay no matter which resort you decide to stay at!! :goodvibes
I know :) However, the promising part is the DH AGREED to Sugarloaf! So I am eagerly awaiting to find out which Candlelight Processional DS14 will be singing in and to book a few nights! Maybe I can just bring my girls..last year the HS was with Whoopi. He's a freshman this year, and they are in the planning phase I think

Hi All-
DH & I are staying at GF for the first time in September (labor day week). We've stayed at my beloved Poly for the last few trips, but knowing the quiet pool will be closed (& not sure I'm over the bungalows yet), we're taking this as a good opportunity to try another resort....and since we're in walking distance for Tonga Toast & Dole Whips :love: & still on the monorail, we thought GF would be the best choice!

So after reading some of these pages (sorry, I just haven't gotten through all of them) I have a few questions that I'm hoping you wonderful GF Folks could answer:
1) We booked a Lagoon View room--(non CL which seems like so many of you do book :worship:) we've requested a King Bed, and I know we'd like a balcony but other than that I'm stumped. Boca Chica seems like it would provide the best Lagoon View rooms...is that true? Do any rooms that are technically Lagoon actually have a theme park view? I looked on Touring Plans site & it seems like some in Conch Key do, but I'm wondering if that's true? Any advice here would be GREATLY appreciated! The resort seems like it's not too spread out so I don't think I'm worried about location to the main building, but please correct me if I'm wrong here too.

2) Many of you have mentioned getting pixie dusted to an upgraded room or even to CL if I remember correctly. Does this happen often at GF? Or is this a thing of the past--perhaps when there was construction or room rehabs going on? We are going during a rather slow time of year & one year we were upgraded to a Theme Park view (from Standard view) at the Poly, so I know it happens at other resorts, but it seems like pixie dust is very generous at GF! :)

3) There was also mention of Gasparilla Grill being down for renovations at some point soon. Are the dates known yet? I've tried searching but I wasn't very lucky...

4) Lastly, are there really no doors on the vanity part of the bathrooms??!! DH likes to sleep-in while in WDW & I'm like "I'MINDISNEYWORLDIMUSTDOALLTHETHINGSNOW!!!" :flower3: Seems rather odd/silly that a Flagship resort would not have a door on the bathroom portion where guests get ready. I'm sure he'll sleep through the hair blowing, but maybe not the light coming through to the hallway? I dunno...just seems really odd to me.

Thank you all in advance for your insight & I love looking at all the photos people post! I'm very excited to stay at GF & someday I'll get through all the posts so I can know everything about the glorious GF!! :teeth:

I just 'blundered' upon this board and wanted to share that we have just booked four nights at the GF for the third week of September to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We have a niece who is a Disney Travel Planner and she is taking care of the details. So far I have requested a Lagoon view, a couples massage and a nice dinner at Norcoossee. As long as we have been going to Disney, my wife has wanted to stay here, and with the Florida resident rate, it really isn't too bad. Four nights with park hopper tickets, and the dining plan cost the same as a small domestic automobile... or so it seems. We have stayed previously in the Contemporary and several of the mid priced resorts over the years, but this being a big anniversary, we decided to splurge a bit. So, what should I be planning for this trip, other than what I have stated already?

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Here is a mini report on our June RPC stay. I have already posted most of my lounge photos so I won't repeat those. We had a wonderful stay and found all CM's to really have a great attitude, several really stood out that we had not had a lot of interaction with before.

We arrived around 4pm, we were not met curbside and had to track someone down to check in. Not a big deal as we know the process but would be problematic for someone new. This has been an ongoing issue for us at GF, does not really bother us but they do need to improve this. We were in 4025 and were with several friend/family groups but did not make any requests to be close together although some of us were anyway. Room was very clean and in good working order, was surprised at the level of wear and tear on some of the furniture already. Nothing bad just a few nicks and water marks but it is obvious that guests really don't take care when using the room. There was a new (last stay for us was April 2015) welcome gift that was a much nicer chocolate. Will take a photo and post later.

Had problems with our magicbands and it took a long time to get it fixed and even after the CM brought them back they did not open the door so that required another trip. Room was ready when we arrived, our request was quiet location.

Lounge: The food was very good on this trip. Wish I had taken photos of the black grouper. The best dish I have had CL by far. They had done away with all the fried adult appetizers which I appreciated. There was a larger variety of food than in the past for adults. The children's selections were problematic as they remained the same all nights. However, they had added some dessert and fruit items in addition to the pbj and ham and cheese that were offered. Only the WINE service was served, beer and cordials were still self service. Wine service was friendly and ample, did not have the negative vibe that BC did with alcohol.

Carving Station seemed like a nice addition but we don't eat red meat so we skipped it. It seemed to be the same Prime Rib every time. Was told that they had considered a pasta station but lacked some electrical components to make it work in the lounge. We would have loved the pasta station. Food was generally replenished. Only saw problems with keeping bread in the afternoons. So many spreads, dips etc and basically one bread and lots of crackers. The bread was always emptied immediately. Only, on our final day did I see bread available later during the service. We missed a lot of the breads they used to offer. At home I try to eat healthy and low carb but loved the bread and flavored butters at GF.

The flowers on the table in the lounge were a nice touch. Warning; small rant ahead. Too many guests were using their bare hands to pick up food in the lounge. I also find it very rude to hover over the food and stand there and eat, no plate, just picking up whatever catches your fancy. Some of these guests were children that clearly needed supervision. However, a large majority were adults or older teens. I think they need to publish a VERY DETAILED etiquette guide for the lounge, as things that seem like common sense have not been taught to a large portion of the population.

I had the opportunity to meet Kim Marinaccio the new GM and found her to be very personable and involved in the resort. It was obvious to me that she cared about every aspect of the resort experience for guests and I have high hopes for the future. To me her attitude was directly reflected in the CM's attitudes. I expect to see more changes ahead.

RUMORS: Rumors gathered during our trip, please keep in mind that these are just rumors.
-King Deluxe Turret becoming a bookable category
-Seasonal and frequent lounge evening menu changes
-return of rotating children's menu in the evening
-True Luxury refurb on the suites
-Also please note that absolutely no one indicated this was happening but did mention a LOT of RPC guest feedback had requested that RPC be an adults or age exclusive building.
-Outsourcing of Texting Service (really hope this does not happen)

Overall, despite the intense heat for the first week in June we had a wonderful trip. The texting service continues to be a huge positive for CL. The food was as good as it has been in several years. Still not where it was years ago but I do have hope that things will still improve.

Finally, would like to thank Mejay, Vonnie, Sherrie, Chuck, Annie, Gayle and Patty for making our vacation special. Outstanding CM's

Hi All-
DH & I are staying at GF for the first time in September (labor day week). We've stayed at my beloved Poly for the last few trips, but knowing the quiet pool will be closed (& not sure I'm over the bungalows yet), we're taking this as a good opportunity to try another resort....and since we're in walking distance for Tonga Toast & Dole Whips :love: & still on the monorail, we thought GF would be the best choice!

So after reading some of these pages (sorry, I just haven't gotten through all of them) I have a few questions that I'm hoping you wonderful GF Folks could answer:
1) We booked a Lagoon View room--(non CL which seems like so many of you do book :worship:) we've requested a King Bed, and I know we'd like a balcony but other than that I'm stumped. Boca Chica seems like it would provide the best Lagoon View rooms...is that true? Do any rooms that are technically Lagoon actually have a theme park view? I looked on Touring Plans site & it seems like some in Conch Key do, but I'm wondering if that's true? Any advice here would be GREATLY appreciated! The resort seems like it's not too spread out so I don't think I'm worried about location to the main building, but please correct me if I'm wrong here too.

2) Many of you have mentioned getting pixie dusted to an upgraded room or even to CL if I remember correctly. Does this happen often at GF? Or is this a thing of the past--perhaps when there was construction or room rehabs going on? We are going during a rather slow time of year & one year we were upgraded to a Theme Park view (from Standard view) at the Poly, so I know it happens at other resorts, but it seems like pixie dust is very generous at GF! :)

3) There was also mention of Gasparilla Grill being down for renovations at some point soon. Are the dates known yet? I've tried searching but I wasn't very lucky...

4) Lastly, are there really no doors on the vanity part of the bathrooms??!! DH likes to sleep-in while in WDW & I'm like "I'MINDISNEYWORLDIMUSTDOALLTHETHINGSNOW!!!" :flower3: Seems rather odd/silly that a Flagship resort would not have a door on the bathroom portion where guests get ready. I'm sure he'll sleep through the hair blowing, but maybe not the light coming through to the hallway? I dunno...just seems really odd to me.

Thank you all in advance for your insight & I love looking at all the photos people post! I'm very excited to stay at GF & someday I'll get through all the posts so I can know everything about the glorious GF!! :teeth:

1) Last time we went (it will be two years in August) we got a Lagoon View and had a view of MK (we were in Boca Chica). I understand a lot of rooms are like that, you just have to look over the balcony to the left/right to see the castle so its not technically a theme park view.

3) According to WDWMAgic.com, Gasparilla is closing August 23 and re-opening to guests on September 5th: http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/gasp...grill-closing-for-refurbishment-in-august.htm

4) There are no doors, but I found that the noise/light wasn't really an issue. Unless your DH I a REALLY light sleeper, I don't think you'll wake him up getting ready!

Hey you! :hug: I agree..a lovely walk...and never seems very long...also the boat is such a nice alternative...:thumbsup2

Hi! :wave2: I haven't walked it since the VGF went up, but hopefully it's still a nice, peaceful, and uncrowded place to take a stroll.

Here is a mini report on our June RPC stay. I have already posted most of my lounge photos so I won't repeat those. We had a wonderful stay and found all CM's to really have a great attitude, several really stood out that we had not had a lot of interaction with before.

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I really appreciate hearing the good, the bad, and the rumors! :)

We arrived around 4pm, we were not met curbside and had to track someone down to check in. Not a big deal as we know the process but would be problematic for someone new. This has been an ongoing issue for us at GF, does not really bother us but they do need to improve this. We were in 4025 and were with several friend/family groups but did not make any requests to be close together although some of us were anyway. Room was very clean and in good working order, was surprised at the level of wear and tear on some of the furniture already. Nothing bad just a few nicks and water marks but it is obvious that guests really don't take care when using the room. There was a new (last stay for us was April 2015) welcome gift that was a much nicer chocolate. Will take a photo and post later.

Had problems with our magicbands and it took a long time to get it fixed and even after the CM brought them back they did not open the door so that required another trip. Room was ready when we arrived, our request was quiet location.

Lounge: The food was very good on this trip. Wish I had taken photos of the black grouper. The best dish I have had CL by far. They had done away with all the fried adult appetizers which I appreciated. There was a larger variety of food than in the past for adults. The children's selections were problematic as they remained the same all nights. However, they had added some dessert and fruit items in addition to the pbj and ham and cheese that were offered. Only the WINE service was served, beer and cordials were still self service. Wine service was friendly and ample, did not have the negative vibe that BC did with alcohol.

Carving Station seemed like a nice addition but we don't eat red meat so we skipped it. It seemed to be the same Prime Rib every time. Was told that they had considered a pasta station but lacked some electrical components to make it work in the lounge. We would have loved the pasta station. Food was generally replenished. Only saw problems with keeping bread in the afternoons. So many spreads, dips etc and basically one bread and lots of crackers. The bread was always emptied immediately. Only, on our final day did I see bread available later during the service. We missed a lot of the breads they used to offer. At home I try to eat healthy and low carb but loved the bread and flavored butters at GF.

The flowers on the table in the lounge were a nice touch. Warning; small rant ahead. Too many guests were using their bare hands to pick up food in the lounge. I also find it very rude to hover over the food and stand there and eat, no plate, just picking up whatever catches your fancy. Some of these guests were children that clearly needed supervision. However, a large majority were adults or older teens. I think they need to publish a VERY DETAILED etiquette guide for the lounge, as things that seem like common sense have not been taught to a large portion of the population.

I had the opportunity to meet Kim Marinaccio the new GM and found her to be very personable and involved in the resort. It was obvious to me that she cared about every aspect of the resort experience for guests and I have high hopes for the future. To me her attitude was directly reflected in the CM's attitudes. I expect to see more changes ahead.

RUMORS: Rumors gathered during our trip, please keep in mind that these are just rumors.
-Also please note that absolutely no one indicated this was happening but did mention a LOT of RPC guest feedback had requested that RPC be an adults or age exclusive building.

Overall, despite the intense heat for the first week in June we had a wonderful trip. The texting service continues to be a huge positive for CL. The food was as good as it has been in several years. Still not where it was years ago but I do have hope that things will still improve.

Finally, would like to thank Mejay, Vonnie, Sherrie, Chuck, Annie, Gayle and Patty for making our vacation special. Outstanding CM's
Ooh, a new welcome gift??? Must see!

Planning our departure day for an upcoming trip and when my adr date opens up I plan on booking 1900 park fare for our last breakfast. I plan on taking a cab from our resort my question is when we are done eating is there a boat that can take us over to MK or do we have to do the monorail? thanks

Planning our departure day for an upcoming trip and when my adr date opens up I plan on booking 1900 park fare for our last breakfast. I plan on taking a cab from our resort my question is when we are done eating is there a boat that can take us over to MK or do we have to do the monorail? thanks

You can use the boat or the monorail. The monorail is much quicker as MK is the next stop. The boat heads over to the Poly before going to MK. But the boat is a lovely relaxing ride, IMHO.

Sorry, as I think of things I keep posting them.

The pools: Unlike our April 2015 trip where we saw them enforcing the pool hours at the courtyard pool, this June we saw people swimming at all hours. YMMV

I have to agree. It's not your own personal feed bucket. I'm always amazed at how few people, adults and children, have been taught or practice good manners. I don't think all the signage in the world would help.

Would love to be in a suite...soon. :) I would appreciate an age exclusive building, mainly not to hear kids running down the hall at midnight. :)

Awesome review - thanks for taking the time to share all of this with us!

I'd love to see some of the rumors come true soon...but of course, understand they are all rumors only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter