Cast:
Me (37)
Ds12
Dd10
Dd1
DSis (my 32 year old sister)
Dn7 (her 7 yr old son)

When:
10 days!:cool1: We'll be at POR from May 31-June 5, and from CR from June 5 until June 7.

Background:
I never went anywhere as a child, and married dh after dating through 4 yrs of high school and 4 yrs of college. He has no interest in traveling anywhere. In 2006, I decided that I was tired of sitting home and told him I was going to WDW with or without him. The kids were 6 and 9, and my MIL ended up going with us. I was 33, and fell in love with WDW on that trip.

In 2007, I took the kids back by myself for Thanksgiving week. WDW is such a great place for "single" parents to vacation!

In 2008, we went to CA and Vegas with dh's family-dh still refused to go. His aunt flew a bunch of us out-MIL, her other son and his family, another aunt and her grandson, and several other family members. We did DL, CA, SW, and the Hoover Dam. We had fun, but my kids and I missed WDW.

We had a trip planned for 2009, and I thought I had dh talked into going. I planned a trip staying in a vacation house offsite, a day at Kennedy, and told dh he could golf while we did the parks. But I let dh talk me into one more baby before I got too old, and our wonderful little Katie was born on May 14, 2009.

We postponed the trip until this summer, and then dh backed out on me completely. I almost convinced myself not to go, but I decided that this trip is my graduation gift to myself. I am a high school math teacher, but just finished my masters in school counseling. After 2 yrs of grad school and a new baby, I need a break!

I was telling my sister about my plans one night, and she started asking questions. Then she asked if she and her son could tag along. I knew I was going to have my hands full with 3 kids, so I was excited that she wanted to go. Her dh didn't mind at all, so I booked the trip! She and her son have never flown, and she is scared to death, so getting her on the plane in 10 days may be interesting.....

I booked POR for 5 nights, with the dining plan and 5 day tickets, under the $500 gift card offer. I then added 2 more nights at CR with the 40% off code. And I found $112 flights each way with Southwest.

Being a math teacher came in handy with all the deals that were floating around when I booked! I finally decided to do a split stay.

1. 5 nights at POR with 5 day tickets and 5 nights on the dining plan.
2. 2 nights at CR with 40% off code.

I paid the deposit (one night) on the room only portion when I booked. When I check in, I can use the $500 giftcard to pay off the balance, and to upgrade to 7 day tickets. The remainder will go to tips and OOP food the last 2 days.

I did online check in today-which makes everything seem so real now! I'm excited to be staying at POR and CR. Our first 2 trips were at AllStar Sports. We loved it, esecially ds12. He is all boy-football, baseball, basketball, fishing, hunting, etc. The only way I could keep him from pouting about not going back to Sports was to show him pictures of the fishing hole at POR. I considered upgrading to CR for the whole trip, but he didn't want to hear about it!:rotfl:

Values would be fine if it was just me and my kids, but with my sister and her son we are an official party of 5 (Katie doesn't count since she is 1). The closer it gets to the trip, the more I worry about the "togetherness" of our trip.

We are bringing an aerobed for ds12, dd10 will get the trundle, Katie and I will get one bed, and my sister and her son will get the other. At least that is the plan for now!;)

December, I am the first!!!

The plans look good so far!! I know that travelling with other family is tough, sometimes, but it may be a blessing for you, especially since Katie is so small!!!

I am so jealous that you get to leave so soon, I have 240 days to go!!!

A reader!:thumbsup2

I've been planning this trip for 2 years, and still can't believe it is only 9 days away!

I hope that you all have a wonderful time! WDW is simply the perfect place to go with kids!:goodvibes

When the GAD promotion was first announced, I checked for volunteer opportunities for my area. There was NOTHING, because I live in small town Mississippi. But thanks to these boards, I was able to find Story Time from the Frontlines. We collected books for soldiers. I sent the books overseas, and soldiers will be recorded reading them. The books and tapes will then be sent to their kids. As a mother and teacher, I think this was the perfect volunteer activity!

So we have 5 GAD vouchers, that we will use for FPs during 5 of our park days. Between that and childswap, I don't think we'll have any problems doing everything we want to do on this trip!:wizard:

It is a blessing that my sister is going. It will be nice to be able to chidswap the bigger rides. And since my sister is a weenie, I may end up getting to ride twice with the kids on some of them!;)

The main problems are sharing one room with 6 of us, and her dislike of me nursing the baby. She will make little digs the whole trip, but I'm going to ignore it and nurse anytime Katie wants to! Katie seems to catch on, and is very vocal in her nursing when my family is around!

I can't wait to see my nephew's reaction to WDW, though. He has been on beach vacations before, but never anywhere else. And neither he nor my sister have ever flown, so that is going to be fun!

Our plans:

Mon 5/31 arrival day
Check into POR, then head to MK
Dinner at CP at 5:45

Tue 6/1
AK (GAD FP-had debated this one, but not having to run around the park collecting FPs at every window will be nice)
Dinner at WCC at 5:25

Wed 6/3
Epcot (GAD FP)
Dinner at GG at 4:35

Thu 6/4
Off-DTD and swimming, laundry day!
Lunch at TRex at 11 (planning to take the boat to DTD)

Fri 6/5
DHS for SWW (GAD FP)
Lunch at SciFi at 12:55 (late due to SW parade at 11:40)

Sat 6/5
Move to CR, breakfast at CRT at 8:10 for just me, dd10, and dd1
*we plan to ride Dumbo and meet the fairies after breakfast, then do some girly stuff!
MK (GAD) meet up with my sister and the boys around 11am
Dinner at CM at 5:05

Sun 6/6
MK through the morning, then back to CR for swimming and a long nap, then back to MK for the new fireworks, parade and a little bit of EMH.

Mon 6/7
Epcot (GAD) until about 1, then back to the resort for ME to the airport around 2:30:sad1:

I'm here! I just wanted to say have an awesome trip! I'm jealous, I wanna be counting down too.:headache: But really, have a great time.:goodvibes

Thanks Valerie!

Let's see what other rambling I can do......

We are going during Gay Days. I knew that when I booked, but I really kind of want to see what all the uproar is about!:rotfl: I'm a pretty open minded person, and I'm raising my kids to be the same way, so I'm not worried about them. My sister......not so much. I did tell her about it, and she freaked. She is worried about what her son will see, and that people are going to think we are a couple. I really don't see what the big deal is. Two of our days are designated Gay Days parks, and I'm seriously thinking of stopping in for the 1pm Country Bears show (thanks to some info I got from the Gay and Lesbian board here). She might kill me though!:rotfl2:

The funny thing is, we were raised around a very openly gay couple. No, they have never said "we are gay." But they share the same bedroom! They are in their 80s, and have been together since they were teens. One is our cousin, and they live a mile from our parents, down the road from my sister. She used to go everywhere with them, and stayed at their house all the time. They still come over to my parents at least once a week. But in her head, she doesn't associate them with being gay. I guess she just blocks it out.:confused3

Katie is asleep, and we are in a hotel room. We live in a city park (dh is park director) and they had an all night event last night. The group paid for a room so we could get some sleep! They do this every year, but last year no room was needed. We were in the hospital with a newborn. I can't believe a year has passed already. I guess I'll keep rambling while I wait for her to wake up......

My MIL met me about an hour from home yesterday and got the older kids. She lives about 80 miles from us, and usually comes to get them for sleepovers. I live in the boonies, and wanted to do some Target shopping before our trip, so I met her at the closest one to me-an hour away. She was taking them to Oxford to see Ole Miss (my son's obsession) play baseball today. I won't have them back until tomorrow evening. I was very glad they weren't here when I walked into the hotel room last night and realized the group had booked us a King room! Dh came in about 1am, and left about 7am. He has to work the event.

I got some things for the trip at Target. I bought the last pack of princess themed table toppers-an 18 pack. I also got a 24 pack of disposable bibs. I had already bought take and toss cups and spoons. She is on table food, and loves to eat! She just wants to do it herself and makes a holy mess!

I also picked up dd10 a 2nd bathing suit-a bikini!:scared1: We had bought one on our last Target trip a couple of months ago. I had her try on her one pieces from last year, and none of them fit. She is growing up so fast.

I paid a fortune and got some California Baby bug spray. I don't usually splurge on "organic" type stuff, but I am scared to put normal bug spray on Katie. I had already ordered her some sunscreen, recommended on the new moms thread.

I placed an order at Garden Grocer way back. I'm having diapers, milk, juice, soda, fruit, etc. delivered to the room. Since I'm flying SW, I shouldn't have a problem getting everything else in the luggage.

I'm heading to Walmart after I check out of the hotel to get groceries and see what I need for the trip.

We all have 2 bathing suits (even Katie-and she also has some swim diapers)
Ds12 still needs at least one more pair of shorts

I bought moisture wicking socks for all of us at Target yesterday.

I need to pick up some more rechargeable batteries, and a memory card, so we'll have a spare.

She's waking up-better get packed up and out of this hotel room!

We are going during Gay Days. I knew that when I booked, but I really kind of want to see what all the uproar is about!:rotfl: I'm a pretty open minded person, and I'm raising my kids to be the same way, so I'm not worried about them. My sister......not so much. I did tell her about it, and she freaked. She is worried about what her son will see, and that people are going to think we are a couple. I really don't see what the big deal is. Two of our days are designated Gay Days parks, and I'm seriously thinking of stopping in for the 1pm Country Bears show (thanks to some info I got from the Gay and Lesbian board here). She might kill me though!:rotfl2:

The first time we took Dan, we went during Gay Days, having majored in Theater, worked in NYC & then moved back to NJ -- I honestly didn't notice anything. A few more obviously gay folks, but nothing alarming. :) I wasn't a Dis-er yet, or maybe had only read the boards a few times & never posted anything, so I had no clue.

The funny thing is, we were raised around a very openly gay couple. No, they have never said "we are gay." But they share the same bedroom! They are in their 80s, and have been together since they were teens. One is our cousin, and they live a mile from our parents, down the road from my sister. She used to go everywhere with them, and stayed at their house all the time. They still come over to my parents at least once a week. But in her head, she doesn't associate them with being gay. I guess she just blocks it out.:confused3

Maybe she has honestly blocked it out & does not identify them as G-A-Y. Maybe talk to her about it while you are there, you may open her mind some.:goodvibes

I think she will be fine. I'm so looking forward to it, even though a few of my posts don't sound that way! I think having me there to calm her down and make her laugh will make it ok.

subscribing... can't wait to hear all about it! You totally deserve this after all of your hard work with school!

Thank you! 8 days!:cool1:

I just spent the day at my parents' house, with 2 of my sisters, their families, my grandmother, and the couple that I was talking about earlier. We had a nice day together. For the last 2 yrs, I've had to cut these visits (I go out every other wkend) short so I could get home and do my assignments. About 4:00, my nephew (who is going on the trip) looked at me and asked "Aunt Robin, don't you have homework today?" It was so nice to be able to say nope, I can stay and play today!:goodvibes

I had the older kids try on all their shorts and ts, and have that stacked up to wash this week. I still have to try on my stuff. I have 4 nursing tanks, but need to see how they look under my Disney shirts!

Only one week!! AHHH!!

I love reading your details. I need to get some bug stuff and those socks from Target...and new Crocs. Maybe we'll go to the outlets this weekend...

I'm so excited for you!

Yep, 1 week!:cool1:

Today was our first day of exams, so in between grading papers I was working on touring plans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter