2 person Scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUSANMELODY

Mouseketeer
Hello All. I am a travel agent booking a trip for a client who would like to rent a 2 person motorized wheelchair/scooter for his wife while in Disney. I have not found any information regarding a 2 person motorized scooter. I was hoping a DIS'er could help. Thank you...Susan

pretty sure there is no such animal.. any scooters are one person only, NO passengers allowed.. . there are no tandem scooters. or wheelchairs of that matter. they would each need to rent their own scooter if unable to manually push themselves around.

Is he looking for an addendant run power chair/scooter or a modified power chair with a drop-down compainion seat? My power chair has a custom pull-our extra seat for kiddos to sit next to me when not moveing(also can be attached over the batteries on the back of my chair for bigger kids).Most of this sort of thing is done for disabled parents and cost way to much safety wise to be on a rental.

I don't think there is such a thing.

Actually, they do exist. See, for example, http://mobility-scooter-reviews.com/blog/evrider-royale-4-dual-seat-two-person-mobility-scooter.

But here's the problem: The ADA generally requires mobility devices to be no larger than 30" by 48" and weigh no more than 600 pounds (when occupied).

This scooter is too long and too heavy (unless the passengers are emaciated) to meet ADA standards, so if I understand how the law works, Disney wouldn't be required to allow it in the parks.

And it's hard to imagine that any other two-person scooter would meet ADA requirements.

Hello All. I am a travel agent booking a trip for a client who would like to rent a 2 person motorized wheelchair/scooter for his wife while in Disney. I have not found any information regarding a 2 person motorized scooter. I was hoping a DIS'er could help. Thank you...Susan

Have never heard of such. :confused3and on any scooter I have had you are not to have but one person and that includes children:thumbsup2. So anyone who is using a scooter would have to learn to drive one. There are a lot of scooter rental places in Orlando so that one could call and inquire. Plus size one would need for two people would not fit on WDW transportation.:surfweb:

It seems to be 62 inches long, and Disney has a limit of 52 inches, so the one linked to above would not be allowed.

Here is a link to the Theme Park FAQs on the official Disney World site:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQThemeParkPage

And here is what is says you cannot bring in:

Q. Are there any personal items I should not bring with me into the Theme Parks?
A. Items that you may not bring into the Theme Parks include, but are not limited to:

* Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
* Alcoholic beverages
* Weapons of any kind
* Folding chairs
* Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
* Pets (unless they are service animals)
* In Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted.

Also, Disney does not allow any passengers in any ECV, whether Disney-owned or brought in from the outside by a Guest.

Thanks to you all (except Brat) for your quick and informative replies. I have no experience in this area and I wanted to be able to give my client an informed response. Susan

Disney would not allow a 2-person ECV. I have seen pictures of a 2-seater ECV online in the link above. They are outside of ADA specifications in weight and length. You would have to rent a van with a motorized ramp to travel with it in Disney. No Disney transportation (buses, monorail, boats) would handle something that big and heavy. The 2-seater ECV in the link above weighs 376 lbs (my medium-size ECV weight with batteries is 168 lbs). I would be willing to bet that the 2-seater ECV would not stop on a dime, as ECVs are designed to stop gently so as not to hurt the operator. The 2-seater ECV is too fast, with a maximum of 9.3 mph. That's almost TWICE my ECV's max speed.) Disney is very crowded, with kids running everywhere. Could you imagine that big heavy machine running down some precious child in the Disney crowd. Tell your client that the answer is ABSOLUTELY NO.

If you go the Sticky at the top of the page, "disABILITIES FAQs - temporary & permanent disabled, 1st trip, next trip, Wish trip," Post #2, there is lots of info about ECVs and wheelchairs. There is also a list of where to rent one, or you could rent through Disney after entering a park.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

Frankly, I don't know if or where you could rent an ECV for 2. They aren't used at Orlando theme parks, even non-Disney parks, to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks to you all (except Brat) for your quick and informative replies. I have no experience in this area and I wanted to be able to give my client an informed response. Susan

Why do you say except Brat? I think their replies were very informative!

I wondered that too. The comment did not seem very professional.
I agree - the only thing I can think of is that brat's reply was talking about a custom device for an adult and a child, but that does not mean it is an unhelpful reply.
And the question about whether they might be thinking of a golf cart is a reasonable question, given that golf carts can be used at the Fort Wilderness camp grounds.

If someone was able to find a 2 person ECV, it would not only be too big and heavy for the WDW transportation, but also would be too big to use in any lines or attractions. There are no accommodations for vehicles that large.

Hi everyone

My powerchair has the custom device as Sue said that is a child seat, I mentioned it because it may have been what the customer was talking about since depending on his and his wifes sizes might work.My chair is smaller so only a child under 90lbs. can sit if seat is on the back of my chair.Side mounted only under 35lbs. If we had the larger size that fits DHs powerchair the back mounted seat has a limit of 150lbs and that might work.But like I said before they are not normally in the rental market here in the USA(They need to think about safety and ease of use).The only ones that I know fit on WDW buses even though you have to stow your extra seat on buses.Since I had not planned to use our in the parks I had not asked Disney if they can be used.Before youngest got her own powerchair some of you will remember my asking if any of you knew if Disney allowed baby carriers attached to wheelchairs.

Sue was right in that DH and I thought maybe Fort(we have that on our minds since that is where we plan to stay) and here in AZ we have golf cart as transportation in some areas.

Both Dual and double rider scooters are over the size limit for buses and are not transpot(bus crash tested) certified in the USA as far as I know.

:grouphug:

Why do you say except Brat? I think their replies were very informative!

I'm assuming that the PP was referring to the golf cart comment. That's all I can think of. To be honest, golf car was what I thought of when I read "two person scooter".

I agree that it would be too big for transportation (and to fit through queues).

Actually, they do exist. See, for example, http://mobility-scooter-reviews.com/blog/evrider-royale-4-dual-seat-two-person-mobility-scooter.

This scooter is too long and too heavy (unless the passengers are emaciated) to meet ADA standards, so if I understand how the law works, Disney wouldn't be required to allow it in the parks.

And it's hard to imagine that any other two-person scooter would meet ADA requirements.

A couple of years ago I was considering how I, with mobility problems, could tour WDW with a, then, client of mine, who has multiple mobility and visual disabilities. I investigated the only possible method...a double scooter. So many people rose up in protest that it just wouldn't be allowed that it brought to mind the feeling I got the first time I asked a Department of Motor Vehicles employee about how I could obtain a handicapped parking permit and was told that they were reserved for disabled veterans only....

That was in 1969.

Sorry they gave you a hard time Videogal1.

The size issue was part of the reason we went with smaller kid seat on my power chair rather than the larger on DHs.His power chair fits under the size and weight limits for ADA guidelines but mine can get into places his can not.

DH has a large scooter that he loves but would never take someplace crowded, at home he uses it in the garden.He got it on clearance at medical supply since the person who ordered it could not use it where they wanted to because it is that big.(it also has a very high weight limit)

I was in HS a few years ago and I saw an elderly couple that were both riding on an ECV. It looked like a pretty normal type of ECV with the exception that a piece of metal a foot and a half or so wide had been welded or attached someway onto the back like a platform. The woman sat in the seat and drove. The man stood on the platform (step) and rode. It reminded me of a fireman.

My spouse was really taken with this arrangement and I have had to tell him that it really isn't allowed. It broke his heart! He still talks about it.

bedogged
the sit + stand scooters/power chairs are Attendant chairs, you see them sometimes mostly coming in from outside the USA.

bedogged
the sit + stand scooters/power chairs are Attendant chairs, you see them sometimes mostly coming in from outside the USA.

Thanks for the info. Are these allowed in the parks? My spouse has been thinking of how the design could be improved. He was sure that the man had designed the setup himself. If they are allowed, perhaps that would solve the travel agent's problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter