• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

14 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS...MARDI GRAS-MINIONS-HARRY & MORE...MARCH 2019 TR

Hush puppies and biscuits 'n gravy all in the same trip... look at you.

So you know how a song comes on the radio and an image will pop in your head. On the way home today this song comes on

and you and Tom just fit this song.

I just need to master that southern drawl now...….well, maybe not!!!! But, I`m now actively seeking menu`s with hush puppies on it...….loved them!!!!

lol...….awwww......love that song!!!!!

Good for you on the southern food. I have some lovers of hush puppies in my house (not me). I also have grits for breakfast every morning. What beautiful pictures of Bok Tower. I haven't been there in years.

By the time we got showered, changed and enjoyed a glass of wine, it was getting on a bit by the time we went down for the boat...….and again there was a fairly long line and we did wonder if we would get on this one.....but we did......the boats always take more people than you think looking at them...…..and we set off for Citywalk……..

Once in the gate, we headed straight for the Mardi Gras area...….we did think about getting a cocktail with the souvenir glass, but we had one from last year, and to be honest, they weren't that nice. We would pop into Finnegans for a drink later...….

But, first I wanted one of those twisted tators I had seen folks wander around with...….and rather strangely this was the one item not included on the Mardi Tasting Lanyard......when I asked the young guy was apologetic and said he wished they had told people as some folks were annoyed......I said no problem, I would still have one...….

I asked for the Cajun spiced one...…...

i-g6X5mGK-XL.jpg

It`s a potato on a stick......honestly, it was the biggest disappointment since we watched Shrek 2!!!!!! It was like peeling off potato chips....and where was the spice they promised!!! Nope, not worth the cost. I think it was around $8 maybe??? Can`t remember...….but wouldn't be having another one...….

We didn't take pictures as we were standing and couldn't quite manage to hold the items and the camera, but we tried the jamabalaya.….it was dry as a bone...….the shrimp gumbo was alright, same sauce as the crab etouffee……the Catfish po boy Tom enjoyed a bite, but I discovered I don't like catfish......to be honest the name always put me off anyway.....but, didn't like the taste at all...….beignets were disappointing too.

So, all in all we found the food to be a big disappointment at Mardi Gras......the shrimp and sausage po boy was the only thing we would say we remotely enjoyed...….we tried everything once and the verdict was, they could do much better.

And this was the reason we didn't do the Bayou Boil.....we just weren't impressed with anything.

We had one beer off the lanyard too and that was the last we used it...….I was glad we had bought it, but I think there were around 3 or 4 items left on it...…

So, with the food tastings over, we headed into Finnegans…..it was busy as always and we thought we`d be sitting on the row behind the bar seats.....but someone moved and we got two seats at the bar...…

Tom got a beer and I ordered the Rum Neuralyser again...….my favourite cocktail in there...….I had noticed again Jim, one of the stalwart barmen who has been there for years wasn't working.....he is always here!!!

I asked our barmaid if he still worked there and she said he had just retired a few weeks ago.....we were sad to have missed him.....great guy and all round good barman who knew how to look after everyone.....and made the strongest cocktails ever!!!! She said he was almost 70 which we were incredibly surprised about.....I would have placed him around early to mid 60`s.....he`ll be missed as anyone who frequented Finnegans any time and especially around HHN would know him well.....

We got our beer and cocktail and enjoyed the party atmosphere in here tonight......it`s always a fun place for a drink, but it does get busy.

i-nKGFggm-XL.jpg

Around 10 minutes before the parade started we wandered over to the side of the Macy`s building so we were facing the parade as it came towards us......it wasn't too busy at all and we had space behind us too so it didn't feel cramped...….

I was also glad we had put our hoodies on as it wasn`t very warm. Not too cool, but it had gone quite breezy.....this wasn't impressing us about March at all...….we`re used to hot weather so having to wear a jacket hurts!!!! This lizard likes the heat!!!

i-sm4BPkC-XL.jpg

The parade was beginning...……

As usual the police officers impressed us with their bikes and circled around then moved on a little......

i-rcN8Bjt-XL.jpg

It would be better if it was completely dark when it started, but it soon darkens down very quickly....

i-Hbj2Z6g-XL.jpg

i-PZLQg8x-XL.jpg

i-zz8WshR-XL.jpg

i-dFKP4vw-XL.jpg

i-BmxmvbN-XL.jpg

So, after a few floats go past, we have a lot of beads......again, not sure why as I wouldn't be taking them home on the plane anyway...…..but you gotta do it.....and you have to be a little enthusiastic about it too!!!

But, I hear the woman near me, who is maybe 3 or 4 inches shorter than me complain....yes complain to the woman on the other side of her I was getting all the beads as I was "a tall one" I`m 5`7!!!!!!

And she was serious...…..I was laughing as the women the other night were lovely and we shared all the beads if we both caught a pair for example......lol......but this woman was genuinely annoyed I was catching more beads than her...….

So, I put full effort into the bead collecting...….and we did alright too...…although I think the people behind us did better...….but it was fun....well, for most of us!!!!

i-r6Lh86r-XL.jpg

i-RwNHNbT-XL.jpg

i-Tn7Rtt4-XL.jpg

i-S5NFjfm-XL.jpg

i-rxJ5GV9-XL.jpg

I love bubbles.....and when the bubbles started up I got a little carried away as do the folks on the other side of and we are all dancing......but it`s bubbles....they`re fun...….however folks on the other side are giving us sideways glances of disapproval...…..lol.....

i-vZHBBjW-XL.jpg

i-ckTw4WC-XL.jpg

i-vbSGmwR-XL.jpg

i-2ZjVjCM-XL.jpg

i-xLh48RW-XL.jpg

i-Dj373q6-XL.jpg

Not much else happened the rest of the parade....it was nice to see...….

And being here, we got out fairly quickly, we headed straight down the pathway and I was again glad we had our jackets on...….yep, I was cold!!! I did again pass on most of my beads onto anyone who looked like they wanted beads......usually little kids who were again over the moon with them...….one little girl only had 3 or 4 round her neck, I gave her loads.....and again, not sure her parents were lol.....I did ask them first though and they said of course...…..

Tom said it was unusual to hear me say that here......but I was cold. I hate being cold.

Now we were a little peckish…..our snacks from MG were mostly not great so we didn't finish them, and now we could go some food......and we wanted to have pizza, and that meant Sal`s at PBH.

We got on the boat after waiting maybe 10 minutes....it was so busy.....and we laughed to see we could have got the Sapphire boat and be gone by now......always the way......but once it was here we got on and it was the quietest boat we had ever been on...….no one said a word...….weird.

PBH is a very beautiful hotel too......if you call here during the day it can look like the Marie Celeste.....there are usually very few people around, if any on the courtyard...….but it does look beautiful when you come around by boat.....much more impressive than the front entrance...….

i-5HpgFJg-XL.jpg

i-hjJngQK-XL.jpg

It is nice to see a few more people around tonight, and we also hoped Sal`s wasn't going to be too busy with it being after park closure time.....but it wasn't bad at all...….

We ordered our pizza and it was the usual.....small bbq chicken with no scallions and add pineapple and jalapeno......sometimes they looked at us odd with that...…..pineapple on pizza seems to divide an awful lot of people...……

Then Tom decided at the last minute to add pepperoni too!!!! What...…..

That confused the lady...…..she asked did we want that on another pizza...….I looked at Tom and said that is a little much...….lol.....but she said you go for it sir......lol...…..I was laughing now......

We paid and went through to sit down in the booths and we got one, I put our things down and went to get the sodas from the machine...….one of those ones you can fanta or cokes with millions of different flavour choices....we had orange fanta which is probably the most boring of choices, but we like it...….

i-nfcqHM5-XL.jpg

It`s a nice place, and they open all day from breakfast......and you can get so many items from the ready made salads and sandwiches to the many items on the menu.

This is the only place we like to eat at PBH.....we have tried Bice and Mamma Dellas, but not impressed. The sauces tasted too plastic and premade....they couldn't omit an ingredient for us.....and overall we wouldn't eat at either of them again......so many other choices around.

But, for onsite we love Sal`s, Jake`s in RP and Louie`s in the Studios...….no other pizza we have tried onsite here comes close...….

i-5tNZSqb-XL.jpg

Tom did get a picture of what beads I had left.....not many...…..

i-S5LH54K-XL.jpg

The buzzer sounded at that and Tom went though to pick it up and I heard the woman say to him the chef checked the order twice in case he was reading it wrong..…..oops!!!

i-W6ZC5Gh-XL.jpg

It was delicious.....although I wouldn't have missed the pepperoni......I prefer it with just chicken, pineapple and jalapeno......but it was still lovely...….and the small one is a really good size and shares well between two...…

We ate up and took our time......we had no plans to go anywhere else tonight....we had planned to go back to our room and chill out for the rest of the evening...…..

The boat had just gone, so we went through the search and stood at the front and many joined behind us.....as the boat appeared a young Italian couple appeared and went straight to the head of the line in front of us......the family behind were outraged and said so......but, they ignored any comment aimed at them.....we weren't at all bothered as, well, you know......sometimes it`s just not worth the effort.....

So, we got on the boat and the Italian couple sat up front and posed for a million selfies even before the boat left......that girl could pout!!!! So we set off and again the girl stood up for a picture and the boat Capt told her to sit down....she wasn't happy...….but did sit down......everyone on the boat was watching the show with some amusement...….the guy behind us said to his wife how many pics will they take of each other before we get there......lol...…

So, as the boat pulls in....not docked yet.....the guy stands up ready to go......that Capt tells him to sit down.....he doesn't.....Capt tells him again to sit down.....he said no, I said I don't need to I`m fine.

The Capt stopped moving the boat to the side and said he couldn't move till he sat down....he then did sit back down....I think everyone was seconds away from yelling at him to just stop being a prat and sit down......not sure if that was their first time on the boats...….but you do get them...….think rules don't apply to them.....

Now we were getting off and many folks mentioned to the Capt and each other what a wall he had been......

But, we moved quickly over to get the Sapphire boat which was filling up nicely as we wandered round.....we didn't make that one, so it was around a 10 minute wait for the next one......we wished at this point we could have called a cab......you just want to be home now...…..

And it wasn't long at all.....boats run incredibly frequently at night, and soon we were back in the hotel and into jammies......TV on, wine poured from the bottle we had been so kindly sent today and we again opened the drapes Turndown had carefully closed over....it was also freezing, so we turned the heat up and settled down to watch junk on the TV.....

Sometimes it`s just nice to recharge the batteries and have a lazy evening...….

We went to bed around 11.30 and did plan to be up early again tomorrow......and we thought we`d do the Studios and then The Palm was booked for the evening.

Good for you on the southern food. I have some lovers of hush puppies in my house (not me). I also have grits for breakfast every morning. What beautiful pictures of Bok Tower. I haven't been there in years.

Oh we`ve loved what we`ve tried so far.....although grits are a step too far I think.....lol....

Bok Tower is lovely.....and certainly worth a visit as it`s not too far away...….

Glad I didn't get the potato on a stick then! I had considered it seriously. I liked the Po boy as well. You really should try grits sometime. I grew up eating them, so they aren't weird to me. I think they are delicious! Cheese grits are especially wonderful.

Glad I didn't get the potato on a stick then! I had considered it seriously. I liked the Po boy as well. You really should try grits sometime. I grew up eating them, so they aren't weird to me. I think they are delicious! Cheese grits are especially wonderful.

:sick: :sick:

I think it`s a texture thing with grits, as well as the idea of them I guess.....it always looks like slimy, slushy oatmeal whenever I see it.....:blush:

Does that mean I lose my Southerner badge now.....:laughing:

Yep, the twisted tator thing was a disappointment......I`d get the Po Boy again, well the shrimp and sausage one anyway...….I did always want to try Catfish though.....glad it was a sampler as I really, really, really didn't like that....and I love most fish!!!

Glad you`re here...….:)

Yep, seems there are gross folks out there...….an I guess from the comments from CC she`s not unique.....:mad:

Yay......oh wait...….does that mean I have to like grits too...…?????? Can`t quite get my head round those at all :rotfl:.....even the addition of shrimp doesn't make them appealing in any way!!!!

But, wow to biscuits and gravy......simple dish and so delicious!!!

Won’t touch cheese curds, a textural thing for me, but a fan of fresh cut fries doused in beef gravy & seasoned salt. Even better with some chicken wings and a beer to wash it all down

Believe biscuits & gravy originated in the US south. An acquired taste for me, enjoy it in small doses as part of a breakfast platter. Have you ever tried Cracker Barrel, specifically Uncle Herschel’s entree? A delightful excess lol. That salmon looked pretty good at amatisa too!

Glad the lime garage worked out well. Curious if you ventured over to raglan road. Likely as close as I’m going to get to an Irish pub. My GD goes wild for the entertainment/dancers there. Other than that, well, let’s just say DTD is rarely worked into our trips unless staying at SSR or the nearby non WDW hotels within walking distance. Do believe that hotel you referenced is now under the Hilton umbrella with a nice laze river feature.

Will say your parade pics are very vibrant. Is that with your newer camera?

I've seen so many raves about those twisted tators during HHN. We've never been so never tried them. Don't know I'd spend $8 on them though either way.

What a letdown to order something you don't like. Don't know what's worse, wasting $8.00 on what's basically a small tasteless potato, or eating all those deep fried calories and not really enjoying them. That would be a toss up for me, hate to waste either! And I am an idiot and would eat it all even though I didn't enjoy it LOL ... I think I can thank my Scottish mum for that...always finish what you're given! Now poutine! I was born in Quebec, where coincidentally poutine also originated! And yes, fries, gravy and cheese curds is the original poutine, and all of the components need to be the real deal... proper twice fried french fries, real gravy, real cheese curds. I really do enjoy all the creative versions that have come about in the last decade or so (my absolute favourite is a local portuguese rotisserie that does one with their chicken and house piri piri sauce. I could survive on it!You would like it Carole, it is spicy!), as long as those three must have components are done right. Please don't use frozen fries from a bag, canned gravy and cheese sauce and call it poutine!

Won’t touch cheese curds, a textural thing for me, but a fan of fresh cut fries doused in beef gravy & seasoned salt. Even better with some chicken wings and a beer to wash it all down

Believe biscuits & gravy originated in the US south. An acquired taste for me, enjoy it in small doses as part of a breakfast platter. Have you ever tried Cracker Barrel, specifically Uncle Herschel’s entree? A delightful excess lol. That salmon looked pretty good at amatisa too!

Glad the lime garage worked out well. Curious if you ventured over to raglan road. Likely as close as I’m going to get to an Irish pub. My GD goes wild for the entertainment/dancers there. Other than that, well, let’s just say DTD is rarely worked into our trips unless staying at SSR or the nearby non WDW hotels within walking distance. Do believe that hotel you referenced is now under the Hilton umbrella with a nice laze river feature.

Will say your parade pics are very vibrant. Is that with your newer camera?

Can’t say the sound of curds is particularly appealing.......oh chips and gravy as we call it over here is a real fattening and unhealthy treat.....especially after a night out......in Scotland chip shops or the chippy as theyre affectionately known are open late.......so after the pubs closed that was a treat........in England most close really early.....does away with the late night delights of chippy chips.......

Haven’t been to Cracker Barrel since 2007......never thought to go back again.....yes, Amatista breakfast is lovely, and their smoked salmon is very nice......I didn’t ask where it was from.....must do that.

You know me.....don’t really like Irish pubs.......so didn’t wander that way......yes, we won’t be going back there again in a hurry.......yes, that hotel’s last refurb was huge and they did an amazing job with the pool and lazy river...only seen pictures of it though.

Yes, that’s the camera.......it is hard to get crystal clear pictures when things are moving.....the dancers and such were almost impossible to catch a lot of the time......it was nice when they stopped for a second.......difficult of course when everyone is after the same shot :thumbsup2

I've seen so many raves about those twisted tators during HHN. We've never been so never tried them. Don't know I'd spend $8 on them though either way.

Yep, I`d heard folks raving about them too......glad I tried it, but won`t rush to buy another...….

What a letdown to order something you don't like. Don't know what's worse, wasting $8.00 on what's basically a small tasteless potato, or eating all those deep fried calories and not really enjoying them. That would be a toss up for me, hate to waste either! And I am an idiot and would eat it all even though I didn't enjoy it LOL ... I think I can thank my Scottish mum for that...always finish what you're given! Now poutine! I was born in Quebec, where coincidentally poutine also originated! And yes, fries, gravy and cheese curds is the original poutine, and all of the components need to be the real deal... proper twice fried french fries, real gravy, real cheese curds. I really do enjoy all the creative versions that have come about in the last decade or so (my absolute favourite is a local portuguese rotisserie that does one with their chicken and house piri piri sauce. I could survive on it!You would like it Carole, it is spicy!), as long as those three must have components are done right. Please don't use frozen fries from a bag, canned gravy and cheese sauce and call it poutine!

WELCOME along to this report Dynamoliz…….:)

Lovely to see you here!!!!

Yes, the wasted calories did annoy me.....would rather have something I did enjoy!!!

Oh I love anything pir piri…...spicier the better!!! That sounds good.....oh gosh yes, frozen fries are gross at the best of times.....give me proper deep fried "chips" as we say in Scotland any day....very unhealthy but boy are they good!!!!

I can`t get past cheese curds......I know I`ve seen them on some menu`s.....but passed over them very quickly...….If I ever do try that dish, I`ll make sure it is authentic...….

Hope you enjoy the rest of the report...….:wave2:

Wow, loads of updates, I’m glad you liked the Boathouse, we have been once and have a lovely dinner. We enjoy a walk around DS at least 1x each trip, mostly for the food and treats!

What a nice Dis meet you had and all the food looked very good at The Strong Water Bar.

Love the handbag, the colors are right up my alley!

The restaurant in the trailer park, very interesting, the food looked very tasty!

I’m so excited for our August trip, we are adding a night at RPR at the beginning of the trip to check out the new Hagrid ride and enjoy the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter