14 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS...MARDI GRAS-MINIONS-HARRY & MORE...MARCH 2019 TR

You have a spare room don’t you..........:rotfl:

I’d visit just for them!!!

I’m so annoyed I could have been enjoying them all these years......although maybe that’s a good thing.......::yes::

We have several spare rooms!!
If you're willing to head north to WI, I'll gladly make you some:car:

Biscuits and gravy are a quintessential Southern breakfast! Oddly enough, though I've lived in the south my whole life, I have never really eaten it.

Really??? You and me both then...….

I can now finally recommend them to folks...…..:thumbsup2

I'm all caught up!

First of all, EWWWW on that lady's feet. WHO would do that, and WHY?! So disgusting!!

Secondly, we can now consider you an unofficial Southerner, since you have discovered the delight that is biscuits and gravy!

Glad you`re here...….:)

Yep, seems there are gross folks out there...….an I guess from the comments from CC she`s not unique.....:mad:

Yay......oh wait...….does that mean I have to like grits too...…?????? Can`t quite get my head round those at all :rotfl:.....even the addition of shrimp doesn't make them appealing in any way!!!!

But, wow to biscuits and gravy......simple dish and so delicious!!!

I wish the HRH Club Lounge could get the biscuit and gravy thing right......seriously the only place we have ever had issues getting good biscuits and gravy they are edible but not hitting it out of the park by no means.

This is definitely a dish that needs to be right to be good...….doesn't sound good.

I don't care for food that is just edible.....I like to enjoy it......:thumbsup2

We have several spare rooms!!
If you're willing to head north to WI, I'll gladly make you some:car:

lol......if it`s warm I`m there...…..:sunny:

Although I do have one of those Canada Goose jacket things that keep you really warm......not quite sure why I do have one of those as I never intend to go anywhere that`s cold enough for me to need it...….:rotfl:

We left Ripsaw Falls after watching folks getting soaked for a while, always fun.....and wandered around to Kong...…

I have mixed feelings about this ride.....I like it, but it doesn't thrill me in any way......I do like the animatronic Kong at the end......but the ride itself is not a must do. But, we do it anyway...…

The regular line was 40 minutes and EP was a short line today. I do quite like the regular line and do like the surprise that you may or not experience in there, but it`s not worth spending 40 minutes in the line to see it...…

i-PKGqv8W-XL.jpg

We sit on Row 11 at he far end of the row which is by far our favourite area to sit in.....last few rows for us are the best......and as always, keep your mouth closed or covered...…

We do enjoy it, but wish it had been bit more of a ride.....but I`d tell anyone not to miss it at all......it`s a cute little story...…

Jurassic Park is a ride we do love...….but we don't feel like getting soaked today.....and you can on this ride....it varies every time with how the boat is loaded and how many folks are on it......you can get lightly sprinkled or drenched and anything in between...….

The drop is one of our favourites, and the story leading up to the drop is a good one......it is a decent drop, you really do get that falling feeling that we so love...….wish it was longer and steeper and more dramatic though!!!!!

Though maybe not as dramatic as this ride though...….now this one is scary!!!!!

Still so much fun though.…….

i-FqZZPCn-XL.jpg

You can now see the boards up around the JP area, and most of it is blocked off from view.....you can still access the Raptor Experience though, and boy was the line long by now!!!! Again, it`s fun but it`s not worth waiting longer than 15 or 20 minutes for. We were lucky the times we did it we were there right as it opened and there was one family in front of us...….and it is funny....the handler is incredibly quick with his humour…..

We took this image below as I`m not sure it`s going to be changed, moved or will simply disappear when the new coaster building really takes root...…..

i-cN5xdCN-XL.jpg

We stop off for a bathroom visit into Burger Digs...…….and we see most of the windows facing the excavation work are covered with images of a similar JP theme......but there was the door to outside that hadn't been covered, you couldn't go out there as it was blocked but the windows were clear...….not sure about now of course as they have put a shield up around the works so it isn't as clear to visitors glancing over from other areas. I can see why of course, but it is quite interesting to see the phases of changes happening.

i-rCPLfqW-XL.jpg

Once we`d had a good look we set off round to Hogwarts and Potter...…..this is always impressive, regardless of which side you enter the area from. I would always recommend though to come the other way for the first time.....it is more dramatic and very impressive......however, either way is good.

i-36KHHfD-XL.jpg

One of the busiest areas around Hogwarts is always the bridge......you do get some beautiful pictures from here and certainly most Potter fans will adore seeing the castle from such a vantage point.

Looking the other way you can see the rear of the Hogsmeade façade and the rear of the 3 Broomsticks, which has a lovely little outside area to eat, have a drink or just sit and have a break from the heat...…..

i-KBr9wMt-XL.jpg

i-Kz73QVs-XL.jpg

The place is busy today.....and the regular line for FJ is 65 minutes...….there is just so many people around here today, we don't get many pictures.

We join the EP line and it`s not too bad.....it`s quick and we don't have a camera today as we left it in the locker which was quite crowded today...….unless you head to the back of the lockers where they are "almost" deserted......takes a few seconds and we`re back in line for the ride.

Both the regular line and the EP line are excellent, and so many picture opportunities around.....

i-GLVmWp6-XL.jpg

I did ask for the end seat as the regular seats can be tight, the end ones are more generous, so if you are chunky at all, it might be more comfortable asking for it.....although TM`s are very good at discreetly gauging if someone needs it or not and will usually direct you to that one if needed, or they think you might need it.....

This is a fabulous ride!!! No doubt about it...….it`s quite unique and does have some spectacular scenes along the way......the dementor scene is one of my favourites, and I do briefly close my eyes at the spider part.....but the one scene that does sometimes set off motion issues is where you swoop back into the castle......well, for me it does. The rest of the movement doesn't bother me at all as it is so smooth...…

I can do this ride once or twice maybe once more and then I leave it, just in case it sets off any issues....but today is a once only ride.

As I said, it is busier than we are used to, but Hogsmeade isn't as bad as Diagon Alley was the previous day...now that was busy!!!!

This window below has some cool details and I love to see the feather quill do some imaginary writing......but then most of the windows have some incredible detail when you look in them...….

i-PN8Cw7K-XL.jpg

i-98rK6Tj-XL.jpg

i-B4q69RV-XL.jpg

We want to pop into the 3 B`s for a nosey round the rear of the pub and think we might have a lemonade instead of our usual pumpkin fizz today...…..

i-SHRndDg-XL.jpg

And yes, you can see the excavation work so clear over this side too...….

i-Mh2QL2x-XL.jpg

And you have a wonderful view of the Castle from here...……..

i-X8C9qND-XL.jpg

It seems they are taking the new build area round to Mythos.....

i-SmVxrWX-XL.jpg

Although we don't like the food in the place, we do enjoy a drink and a mooch round the place too.....it is so well themed, along with everything else Potter...….

As always, don't miss listening upstairs at this area...…...it`s not a massive thing, just nice to say you`ve heard...…

i-QWTFNqJ-XL.jpg

The 3 Broomsticks themselves do pass some people by.....and I`ve had a discussion with someone who said she hadn't seen them, so she wasn't sure they were even there......till I showed her the pictures of course...…then it was the "how`d I miss that " look...….think she was a bit annoyed she`d missed it....lol.....

i-LVcXP73-XL.jpg

i-r32hP6v-XL.jpg

We each got a lemonade and it is nice.....sweet enough but there is a sharpness to it that makes it very drinkable...…..

The bar itself is interesting on it`s own and has a few unique items to have a good study of...….

i-jQ2DXHS-XL.jpg

i-sTV2zLZ-XL.jpg

And here we were just lucky with timing as after we took this the bar was engulfed with people, some buying drinks and some just taking pictures...…

i-wV33vXm-XL.jpg

We chat for a while as we enjoy the drinks, but, as we aren't eating, we don't like to take the tables up for too long, but it`s not overly busy yet.....it`s that time between lunch and the last minute breakfast guest.

i-KDHp4K5-XL.jpg

i-Mf2rW4S-XL.jpg

Back outside into the sunshine, and boy is it hot today...….it is so beautiful and we enjoy wandering from corner to corner in this area...….

i-bKjbGM3-XL.jpg

Seeing the new additions, or updated additions to the newest Potter ride is always good to see.....of course now it`s finally been announce that it is a Hagrid ride, which of course wasn't really a secret for a long time....

And it does look so good!!! You used to be able to see quite a lot of the construction from the Hogwarts Express pathway.....but they soon added trees and limited what we could see.....of course...…

i-cG6jM3r-XL.jpg

i-MWqrSXn-XL.jpg

Hagrid`s hut is something they can`t really disguise...….

i-drCcHq6-XL.jpg

Looking back it doesn't look so busy, but round by the FJ ride it was now extremely busy with guests.....I was glad we were heading out of the park instead of just coming in...…

We thought about taking the HE over to the Studios, but decided we would keep the Studios for another day again...….and we still had a few things to see and do here...…

i-rrKZSMS-XL.jpg

More to come...…..

Last edited:

The Mystic Fountain is one of the best things to do that isn't a coaster nor an attraction....although it is so much fun and quite an experience.....when it`s on of course...…..

Today he was happily and fairly gently snoring, oblivious to all who wished to talk to him...….I could spend hours sitting, watching and listening to some wonderful interactions with guests, most who don't realise where the camera is situated......so funny...…

It can easily pass of slightly adult humour and children don't even notice.....very clever folks who voice the Fountain....and kids adore it, as do some adults of course...…I used to sit longer when Tom and Kyle stayed on Duelling Dragons after I had enjoyed riding each side....that was usually enough for me, but they could stay on for hours...especially using the sneaky short cut that some folks didn't know......even a TM once asked them how they were getting back so quickly......lol.....

But, no interactions today...…...I guess it was maybe lunchtime...….

i-Qx8bW9v-XL.jpg

Wandering around the back where the Sindbad show used to be, well the outside, is beautiful......so many don't wander past the fountain anymore.....but it is a peaceful haven of tranquility that we all enjoy when we can find such an area in a busy the throng of a busy theme park...…..

i-2xtfngB-XL.jpg

i-Drtxqdv-XL.jpg

i-3bHnGzv-XL.jpg

i-6bLtTXt-XL.jpg

i-CxFrTHv-XL.jpg

I suggest to Tom here we could theme part of our property like this......I get the look of not a hope in hell.....lol.....didn't think so...….I`d love part of the outside to look even a little like this....of course minus the sunshine most days!!!!

i-ddJVfHN-XL.jpg

i-PnVPKHk-XL.jpg

i-V6DLTSW-XL.jpg

i-X8rJzWp-XL.jpg

i-8LbGsGS-XL.jpg

i-PnVPKHk-XL.jpg

We were in here around 15 minutes or so when a woman appears and begin to smoke where I am sitting.....I get up an immediately move as I detest the smell of them......she immediately senses I guess I`m moving because of her and tells us rather snarkily this is the smoking area...….

She is wrong as there is no place to put them out or a bin to put the ends in......it`s actually a little further round back beside where the large plant sits...…..so I refrain from sarcasm and ask what she plans to put her cigarette out on do with it when she`s done....instead I just say it`s actually around the corner...…no trash bin here...…

Don`t think she was impressed as we were walking off...….a man was passing going in as we were exiting and he said she`s making faces at you......lol...…

The place now stank of smoke anyway.....so time to go......never ceases to amaze me how some folks don't think the rules apply to them and can drop cigarette ends on the ground or in the bushes...…

i-r3k8dtJ-XL.jpg

Back out into the main thoroughfare we head towards Poseidon`s Fury.....not to go on it, oh no it`s dreadful......although many love it (she added quickly)

I do love this area, it is well themed and almost a bit of a waste they don't do more with it than the stalls they do have here with daggers and names from you family......it`s not something we are interested in....but they could do wonders with this whole area.....and I`m sure sooner rather than later they will.

i-6D84wp7-XL.jpg

It is an incredibly stunning building......and I`m sure has been eyed for future development....although when that will be now is uncertain as the new land on Sand Lake Rd will take up a lot of investment and time pretty soon......but I`m glad it`s still here for now...….although as I say, we never go in as we find it a little dull...…although the water vortex effect is very cool!!

i-HzstfLr-XL.jpg

i-g2JgwxH-XL.jpg

We wander down in front of Mythos and again, it`s not usually very busy down here at any time....so you can get some quiet time....but today it was like a Grad Bash event...…..

I swear around 20 young teens of maybe 13 or 14 followed us down and descended like a pack of hyenas declaring they never knew this place existed.....and why do they have to scream so loud!!!! Yes, I must be getting old....but they jumped about and climbed on everything they weren't supposed to and were generally just loud...…..

So much for tranquility...…..

However, a few minutes later a very irate chaperone appeared at the far side where you enter and yelled at them to get off the rocks and get their *#*#* back up with their group...…..their bravado and enthusiasm disappeared quickly and we had this little area almost to ourselves again...….there were a few folks wandering but maybe two or three max.....but much more peaceful...…..

Hogwarts is seen from a slightly different angle here, but still as impressive...…and again, you did get a clear view of the digging works going on over the water too.

i-hdrjQVF-XL.jpg

i-WnbkTxQ-XL.jpg

Now that the noisy teens had been recalled back to their group, we could get a pic or two without disturbing anyone...….and this has always impressed me.....I didn't see it for years though!!!!

i-vpjVZKh-XL.jpg

We stayed here maybe 20 minutes, then a couple appeared who were clearly in need of some alone time.....we didn't hear anything, but her face spoke volumes......and not a happy volume!!! When you see arms folded and an angry look...followed by a sheepish looking male.....it`s time to leave...…

We didn't do the Trolley Train or CiTH today, we were ready to leave......so we turned down to save walking through the whole of Dr Seuss area....I don't think it`s any shorter but it`s quieter...….

I think this is so cute...……

i-mJzbq9Z-XL.jpg

i-4WSBk4T-XL.jpg

The heat now is incredible......not September hot and humid, but there wasn't really a breeze and we just felt it was time to leave...…

There were still many folks coming in to the park even now...….

i-NTNBDJg-XL.jpg

We again, stopped off down by the lagoon and took some time with the little scene they have set up down there......you do see people here, but not too many.....as of course a lot of folks are there to concentrate on the rides and attractions.…..but, we always have the time to go off the track slightly.....

i-Gcvc3Fz-XL.jpg

i-BXkK8kW-XL.jpg

This is so cool...….and I`m sure little kids would enjoy a quick look around here...…

i-Nd4ZZCf-XL.jpg

We eventually head out of the park and of course through the lovely POE...…..and this balcony had also escaped my sight for many years.....and I only noticed it a few years ago...…I heard the cats and thought what the heck...….thankfully no real cats around to see. But, the balcony is cute.....and for those that do like cats, you can hear them make their purring sounds...….

i-xvmQ5sS-XL.jpg

i-T3t9Jw6-XL.jpg

So much detail!!!! It is quite impressive and if you rush past you`d never notice some of it.....and again, I fully understand folks that do just want to get to the rides if you have a short visit...…

i-8RKpTq2-XL.jpg

i-sBc8fmR-XL.jpg

i-QmLG3mG-XL.jpg

This is one of my favourite views in the whole of universal...….so pretty and seeing the boats come and go and beep their horns when folks wave is nice to hear...….

i-snWhRsG-XL.jpg

i-FqwCmLW-XL.jpg

The work is coming along nicely on what was Emeril`s in Citywalk…….I don't think there have been many leaks as to what it might be......I hope it`s something a little more upmarket as there are plenty of casual restaurants in Citywalk, and Emerils was always something a little bit nicer...….but time will tell until it`s announced.

Looks like there will be an outside seating area here this time on the upper level...….nice!!!

i-2s8ZZRG-XL.jpg

Coming up......Voodoo Doughnuts, Mall at Millenia and Longhorn...….

We love that fountain. Had quite a nice chat with her in the rain in February.

I'll have to show my kids that balcony with the cats. They both love all things cats. ;)

Loving the food tour! And Tom's grin is spectacular. You just have to smile back :) Seeing your pics is getting me excited for our trip in 11 days!!!

Where is the Mystic fountain? We'll be there at a super busy time, so somewhere likely to be a little less crowded would be great for a little sit down and chill between attractions. None of us are big crowd people but what can you do - we have to go during school vacation as the kids are in high school and I'm a preschool teacher.

Last edited:
Usually we eat lunch either on or offsite, but as we had enjoyed the lovely buffet breakfast we weren't ready for lunch at all...….but we did think we`d like some doughnuts....and of course there is only one place around here for them...…..yep, voodoo...…..

Some love them....some aren't keen.....but we do enjoy them...….so we walked around the lagoon and reminisced of how long the lines were when it first opened......there was a line to get in the line!!! And although we never did line up for them, I would wait in line for these if I had to...…

The store itself is vibrant and colourful…...and so many choices...….

i-gKkN4vg-XL.jpg

i-hWnzVX5-XL.jpg

I was a little curious about the coffin of doughnuts and thought it would make a tremendous gift for any large group of people.....but not today!!!

i-45p47fj-XL.jpg

i-N6rKffK-XL.jpg

We got the boat back home and straight to our room...….and opened our little box of delight...……

Tom had chosen his favourite voodoo doll and the special for Mardi Gras...…..I had my usual bacon maple bar and I chose the mangotastic one too......oh boy it is tangy!!!!!

Before we got showered and changed, we sat at the table with a bottle of water each and devoured one each......I had my maple bar and Tom ate his doll. Delicious, and just enough for right now...….

Think the face is a little off on this one!!!!

i-3vvJCXF-XL.jpg

We washed our hands as they are a bit sticky of course, and then headed back out to get our car from the Valet guys......and as always they are quick as a flash bringing it around...….my turn to drive today, although it is only a short journey......the I4 at this part is much better than it was last year, not great but better...…..

Yep, if we can avoid the I4.....we do!!!!

The Mall at Millenia is only a 10 minute drive away from Universal......and its a straight road once you are on the I4 and you can`t miss the turn for it......if it`s the weekend...you`ll see a huge line of cars waiting to go that way.....if you see that.....keep driving and go anywhere else...…

But, today we drive straight there....traffic isn't bad at all and we are soon in the lot and we get a darn good space almost right near the end closest to the mall......don't think we`ve ever been this close!!

I`ve said many times, we love this Mall. It is by far the prettiest mall around and the stores are lovely....it never feels busy even on the busiest days......it`s sparkling clean and is a real pleasure to walk around it.

It is light and airy and feels so spacious...….

i-rmnqvC2-XL.jpg

i-zp48DjR-XL.jpg

We wander around a few stores today and I have no real agenda...….I would however like to look for a new handbag......I had seen a company mentioned by my niece who is in the industry, and so far hadn't seen them in Orlando.....but we did go into Bloomingdales and saw that they had started stocking the brand.

The brand is MCM......and most folks I mentioned it to, hadn't heard of them.....I liked that.....not too many folks would have one. I love my handbags, I have lots of them and I do like something unique too...….I have a Marni bag at home that was a limited edition and no one I know has one even remotely like it......the LV ones are also popular......and like all bags, it`s purely personal....we all like different things and can`t all like the same...….

They had a selection of a few styles, but I do like bags that have a full zip across the top......I prefer the feeling of my stuff is not open to see......I don't think I have a large bag that lays open...…the first one I picked up was the open style, but eventually I opted for the zipped up classic style.....it holds loads and has a beautiful interior...……

i-zGwhgnF-XL.jpg

I hadn't really planned to make a large purchase this trip, I was only going to look, but, Tom being Tom was keen for me to have it...….and the sales lady of course thought it was perfect for me......of course it was......lol...…

So a few minutes later, we had made our purchase and heading back along the mall...……

We popped up into Tiffany and the guy we deal with in there was busy with someone, not that I was buying anything today, but we always pop in for a look just to see if there`s anything new. So, we had a wander and didn't see much, we would come back in another day and get my jewellery cleaned properly......I preferred to leave it till we were nearly going home as it does sparkle like new when cleaned properly by them.

i-SrVCbRd-XL.jpg

We had wandered enough, and did stop off to look at the chocolate covered strawberries in the Godiva store......but we don't buy anything...….

It is a nice store, but we always feel the staff in there are less than friendly...….wish they would bring back the Lindt store......but that was deemed to not be appropriate for their idea of what the Mall should be!!! ok.....I miss that store here though...….

i-VZXtr2P-XL.jpg

i-tBVCtGp-XL.jpg

I drove us back home and dropped the car with valet......headed inside and stopped off for a coffee in the Dutch Trading Co...….they have nice coffee......again, one between us is more than enough....

And I admire my new bag again!!!! Tom laughs and says it`s an early birthday present...….lol....yeah right.....6 months early is just a gift, not a birthday gift!!!!

i-d5xKwbT-XL.jpg

Unbelievably, we are tired.

This trip is taking it`s toll on us for some reason......we don't usually get this tired on any trips.....but we were both yawning our head off and I immediately bagged the bed.....Tom would have the sofa as he loves snoozing on them...……I said this would just be for 5 maybe 10 minutes...……

Yep, we slept for almost two hours...….and it was fabulous.....we felt super when we woke up...…..

Once freshened up, we had some water and then headed out to Longhorn over in LBV...….there is a new one opened up near the Outlet centre at the top of I Drive, but it hadn't been open long, so didn't know if it was good or not yet....so we would go to the one we knew and liked a lot.

It takes us 20 minutes or so to get there....and as always it`s busy....a good sign of course. We are told it`ll be about 20 minutes for a table, but we end up waiting around 5 minutes...….

Our waitress is as always very friendly and despite being incredibly busy she is fabulous. Tom is driving so I order a long pour Cabernet and Tom has strawberry lemonade.....and we really don't even need to look at a menu tonight...……

She brings our drinks and bread, which is delicious, but we don't eat a lot of it.....

i-rrG8Qbz-XL.jpg

i-RH6zTt5-XL.jpg

Salad is easy, Tom has the Caesar and I have the garden with honey mustard......my favourite……

i-m2CqvSw-XL.jpg

i-5mN6tTQ-XL.jpg

Our entrees tonight were easy to choose......Tom wanted the full rack of ribs, and I had my usual 8oz filet medium rare...….both simply served with fries...……

i-M7dpBsP-XL.jpg

i-L84N8T8-XL.jpg

Oh my goodness!!! My steak was beautiful......I often mention they are half the price of The Palm and Ocean Prime and you can taste the difference......but tonight`s steak......was sublime!!! It could have easily been served up at The Palm or anywhere similar...…..so for $25 it was an absolute bargain!!!

Tom`s ribs were also top notch.....I did get a taste of them and they were melt in the mouth tender....and the sauce was tangy......we had really enjoyed our meal tonight......Longhorn is one of these places that we have never had a bad meal, it`s always been tasty, good service and steak is always as you ask......can`t ask for more...….

We paid the check and marvelled at the folks waiting for a table....it was busy......

Tom drove us back and handed the car again to our lovely valet guys......they all seem to know us now and a couple of the younger ones rather sweetly called Tom, Mr Thomas......we tell everyone to call us by our first name......not Mr and Mrs…..and some aren't used to that....but we much prefer it. And I became Miss Carole a lot of the time...…

We went into Strong Water Bar and as I had already had red wine, we ordered a bottle of Cabernet between us...….I really don't like mixing wine and cocktails, so red wine it was tonight...….

i-FqKHT6n-XL.jpg

We were in a few minutes when Mike, one of the other managers came over to greet us and welcome us back, he is lovely too.....very friendly and professional and has a fabulous sense of humour too...…..he told us Fernando would be over to see us when he came up from the office......we would be delighted to see him of course.

We got our wine and it was lovely....we had Sammie looking after us tonight and later we did enjoy the wine.....Tom went back to the room before Fernando came over as we had a gift for him.

He and his team are always so welcoming and their kindness towards us is always so lovely, so we had seen a bottle of Scottish Rum.....yes, Scottish Rum......and thought Fernando would be amused by it.....they have so many rums, but we guessed none of them were Scottish.....

When he came over he was so touched by the gift, he never expected anything like that, but we told him it was to say thank you for all the kindness and hospitality he has shown us the last three years...….we told him we hadn't actually tried it ourselves, so at that he called over Brittany and asked her if we could have some little glasses and we would have a taste together...….fabulous!!!! And we all did have a taste, including Brittany.

And it was very nice......very smooth....thankfully!!! We would have hated it had it been dreadful...….lol.....he then brought us over a sample of an Indian Rum....again, very unusual and very nice and we were grateful for the taster....I`d never have asked for that...….he later told us when he told his rum captain about it he thought he meant Scotch…...lol....he said Scotland don't make rum.....then he tasted it...….we wondered what Lenny, the other rum captain would make of it...…..he wasn't working tonight...….Chef Carlos had a taste too and he was surprised to find out it was from Scotland...….

We were then sent over a dessert of the pastelitos…….and they were lovely as always......we didn't take a picture as we had eaten it before we remembered tonight, we were so busy chatting to everyone......and this was one of the reasons we love this bar......everyone knew us and we were always made so welcome...but they do make everyone feel the same. There`s usually someone waiting as you come in to say hello and let you know you can seat yourself anywhere......such a warm hospitable place and if you haven't been before make a visit, it really is a fabulous bar.

Eventually we said our goodnight to everyone and set off down the lobby to our room...….it`s always nice to be staying here when we visit Strong Water Bar...…..not so far to walk back!!!!

We weren't ready for bed right now as we had enjoyed a good sleep earlier......and we found The Shining on tv on some channel...….love that movie!!!! It is a classic......and so darn scary...….Jack Nicholson is perfect for the role and I doubt anyone could have played that character better.

Finally around 1am we put the tv off now the film was over....and I am always spooked out a little by this one....lol.....Tom said he`d be having a rucksack tonight......I said, no I`m fine.....lol...…

And at that it was lights out...……..we had no idea what we planned to do tomorrow......we would decide that in the morning...……

We love that fountain. Had quite a nice chat with her in the rain in February.

I'll have to show my kids that balcony with the cats. They both love all things cats. ;)

The fountain is huge amount of fun...….we love sitting listening.....have heard the lady fountain a few times.....

Oh they`ll love the little balcony....it is cute.....can`t believe I didn't notice it for so many years......:)

Loving the food tour! And Tom's grin is spectacular. You just have to smile back :) Seeing your pics is getting me excited for our trip in 11 days!!!

Where is the Mystic fountain? We'll be there at a super busy time, so somewhere likely to be a little less crowded would be great for a little sit down and chill between attractions. None of us are big crowd people but what can you do - we have to go during school vacation as the kids are in high school and I'm a preschool teacher.

Thanks......I love food pics too!!! I`ll tell Tom your lovely comment.....:thumbsup2

It is in the Lost continent….after you pass Mythos, keep walking and its on the right hand side.....it`s before you hit anything Potter......it is fun. And behind it where Sindbad used to be is a relatively quiet place to wander for little bit....nothing to do, but it`s nice...……

Oh 11 days!!!! You must be so excited.....it`s almost here!!!! :wave2:

Love your new purse!!!!!

We went to Mall of Millenia for the first time this past trip. DD(20) had an expensive spending spree that day!! Good thing we don't live within 1000 miles of this mall.... it could be dangerous, lol!

Love your new purse!!!!!

We went to Mall of Millenia for the first time this past trip. DD(20) had an expensive spending spree that day!! Good thing we don't live within 1000 miles of this mall.... it could be dangerous, lol!

Thanks, I have a real thing for handbags!!!! And I use them all, I don't just have them in their dust bags all the time...I use them regularly.....::yes::

Oh goodness, yes, it is a fabulous Mall, I think Tom is glad we`re even further away.....lol...….

It is in the Lost continent….after you pass Mythos, keep walking and its on the right hand side.....it`s before you hit anything Potter......it is fun. And behind it where Sindbad used to be is a relatively quiet place to wander for little bit....nothing to do, but it`s nice...……

Oh 11 days!!!! You must be so excited.....it`s almost here!!!! :wave2:

So excited!! Thanks - sounds like just the ticket to collect ourselves :)
And thanks for the Strong water Tavern review - thinking that might be just the spot for DH birthday dinner the day we arrive.

THURSDAY MARCH 14TH

We slept well again, there`s something about being here that always makes us sleep so soundly.....we don't exactly exhaust ourselves during the day.....once upon a time we would be in the parks from as early as possible (not including EE as we never do that) and we`d be there till late......but now, and for the last few years it`s been at a much more relaxed pace.….and it wasn't as if the heat was taking a massive toll...….but sleep we were enjoying a lot.

I know we awoke early, but exactly when it was I have no clue...….if I`m honest, we could both have went back to sleep this morning too.....sometimes happens when you are in such a deep sleep. But, I hate to miss any of the day while we are here......

Once we showered and dressed we spoke about what we wanted to do today...….

Anyone who knows us, know we love driving in America......it is fun....usually!!!! Many folks find it strange, but we love the wide open roads, not many, if any roundabouts, or turning circles as they seem to be recognised by over here..….and we get to see a little more of the area around us.

Getting used to driving on the other side of the road and the opposite side of the car takes all of 10 seconds....there really isn't any difficulty in it......first year we kept reminding ourselves......right is tight and left is wide.....kept us good when we came to junctions!!! We have driven automatics for years, so that wasn't anything we had to get used to......so all in all we did love a good day out with a decent drive...….

I did love this image though a friend sent me couple of years back...……

We were planning to go to a few places this trip....and some never transpired....we never got to Sarasota for example, time just got away with us as usual....but we had a think about where today would take us...…

I had heard about a place called Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales...…..seemed to be a nice place to spend a few hours. I had heard it was very beautiful and the tower was impressive to see. So, we thought why not, it`ll be a nice drive out and we can get some lunch somewhere...….and I even had that covered too!!!!

I do like to research a little, all sorts of places that are unique and away from the tourist areas.....although ironically I hadn't heard of this place from a tourist, it was a local who told us about it.....he takes his family here and the kids love kicking a ball around and enjoying the surroundings.....so may as well go and have a look......he did ask if we would go midweek, I said probably......he just smiled...….ok. Now I was slightly apprehensive...….

We quickly ate breakfast and as we headed out we ran into our friend.....always good to see him and we had a lovely chat before he set off and we went out to get the car...….

Weather looked lovely again too, although we had been told the weekend weather wasn't great from Saturday to the Wednesday next week...….so we`d make the most of it while we could.

I got to drive up...which may or may not have been the best idea. The Porsche, while a decent enough car.....is the older car with older toys.....and the Satnav seemed to have a mind of it`s own......we ended up disregarding it and using old fashioned road signs...…..which knowing that we can get lost in a parking lot at times, was a little worrying...…….

But, set off we did...….and for the most part it was a simple journey......until I missed a right turn...….it was just there so quickly....no warning and of course according to Tom.....this was me and the reason we did miss the turn.......

Not really...……..I`m a very sensible and safe driver, but when the need occurs you have to keep up with the flow of traffic :rolleyes1...….one thing that annoys me is tourists who don't know the rules of the road and especially annoying are the ones who don't know you can turn right on red....unless it says you can`t!!!! They really should pass out leaflets when folks arrive with some basic info...…..

But, we got back where we needed to be and it wouldn't be us unless we had a "tiny" detour...….

The drive is fairly basic and you pass some nice scenery and some average local scenery......and as we get closer the place is well signposted so easy peasy……….

This area is very horsey looking at the number of ranches we past, and loads of orange groves which were beautiful......they ran for miles and I wished we could have stopped somewhere for a closer look...…

We turned into the well signposted road to take us up to the gate...….it was $15 each and that didn't include the house tour which wasn't much more extra, but I had looked before we went and didn't think we`d be interested in that...….they gave us the usual leaflets and we set off up the very long road to the car park and all the way was more of the beautiful orange groves...….

There is plenty of parking, it really is a large car park so I imagine of busy days, it will get very busy...…

Tom is immediately out with the camera, waiting to capture almost everything we can see as it is beautiful...lots of greenery of course, and there was a gorgeous scent in the air which wasn't the orange groves despite me thinking it might be...…..

i-h93ZnZj-XL.jpg

From the car park, you can see the Tower, known as The Singing Tower....it is lovely...and I know that is our target for today...

It is already beyond peaceful...

i-sq8JSDq-XL.jpg

There really are flowers everywhere as you approach the entrance....and the scents are truly amazing.....even standing quite far away you can pick out individual scents, like lavender and lemon verbena among others...….it was lovely...…and I`m not really a garden person...…I do however like flowers...if someone else had planted them.....lol...….

The entrance is lovely.....….and it seems so quiet, although I can see a few folks milling around inside the visitors centre…….

i-DRnpJ2Z-XL.jpg

i-s88B323-XL.jpg

Inside the visitors centre is a museum of sorts with all sorts of info on how the place came about and who designed the gardens......so much info...…

We both used the bathrooms which were incredibly clean......and as we came back out I noticed something and then realised why the person who told us about it smiled when we said we were going midweek.....

It was like a Fountain of Youth for Tom and I...….we were easily the youngest folks there by a mile!!!! Everyone looked to be in their 90`s at least......and I heard one joke she had her mom and dad with her lol.....I wondered how they would manage as they mostly had walking frames or ecv`s…….it really was a sight to see...….and apologies if this offends anyone, I don't mean it in a rude way at all......but I found it unusual.....the tour guide was older than any of them!!!! She also had a zimmer frame...…..this tickled me....

We did get the chance to speak to her though, as we came out of the bathroom together and what a lovely lady with an enthusiasm for this place and a deep love of showing people around......she said I was just a baby......lol...…

But, I will say the average age of visitor on a day like today is 80 and up.....or so it seemed. Although we did see a school group over in the children`s area...…one group.

The bell in the tower is explained in all it`s glory, and one of the exhibits ask you to stand and see how you fit in the bell......it is massive!!! I won`t go into the history of it, but it is lovely to hear...

i-pzPfWdd-XL.jpg

We begin our slow walk into the grounds and our path is clearly marked whether you want to go to the Tower or in the other direction..…..we were headed for the Tower...…

i-8z9Krvd-XL.jpg

i-qbNDG6P-XL.jpg

At first we didn't see a single soul for what seemed like an age......then we met two couples who were snowbirds from Upstate NY...….they weren't as old as the tour groups, maybe mid to late 60`s I`d say.....we got chatting to them about anything and everything......they came here a lot as they all lived in Lake Wales.....

But for the most part, the walkway was deserted...….

i-TQrKRFr-XL.jpg

i-tP9rQPZ-XL.jpg

i-xPcWCP4-XL.jpg

At the pond behind us, a group of the tour group had passed us somehow...….and they converged on the perfect picture spot.....so we waited till they were mostly gone and grabbed a quick snap or two....we would get some more on the way back...….

i-dwknC6P-XL.jpg

It was beautiful I have to say, and we were enjoying this little diversion from the hustle and bustle of Orlando......well, not that we really do get experience a lot of hustle and bustle, but you know what I mean...…

i-6pjZZqH-XL.jpg

i-nrhfqqS-XL.jpg

We waited until the two couples had moved along a bit from the pond to get some pictures......there is a koi pond here and you can buy some feed to throw into the pond for them......they are quite big already....and it`s only a quarter to get some of the feed...….

i-V6SnSZ7-XL.jpg

i-3d4gCtQ-XL.jpg

i-M9vSs6V-XL.jpg

The Tower itself is beautiful up close......Edward Bok is interred underneath the Tower itself, he loved the gardens here so much. And they are very pretty...…..and you can hear the bells chime so prettily here....they aren't horrible and loud, but delicate and something you could listen to for a while.....well, a little while.....

i-c35wzwW-XL.jpg

One of the men offered to take a picture of us together which was kind...…

i-SDbXXzR-XL.jpg

We go sit on a bench and look at the view from this hill which is known as Iron Mountain, and is one of the highest points in Florida, I think it`s around 295 feet above sea level. The view is certainly impressive.

There is one family over on the grass and are enjoying kicking a ball around and generally running around without a care in the world......it`s nice to see and we begin to feel as old as our fellow visitors as we begin to reminisce about simpler times like that when we were children...…..lol...…

We are still struck by how quiet it is...….and we do enjoy this little haven of serenity for a little while longer before my bottom goes numb on the bench we are perched on...….:D

i-QFz2KGr-XL.jpg

i-tL4xQ94-XL.jpg

We head back on the same path and we do pass the venerable group of visitors who, bless them look as though they are loving every second of their time here...….they all smile as we stand back to let them all pass the single track path...…one man hears our accent and stops to chat about Scotland and how he spent some time there after the war..….he was so lovely and had a real twinkle in his eye as he spoke of a young girl he enjoyed the company of while he was there......we were laughing and joking and then his wife said, you know you can go back and see if she`ll take you back......lol......they were so cute. I guess cute is the wrong word to describe them, but they had been married an awful long time and I loved he was still teasing her with stories of his youth.

Tom and I both comment that he must have been a proud soldier at one time, and then when you think about it.....it`s hard to imagine this man in his late 80`s had once been a vibrant three year old running around like the family we had just seen...….we watched as they all passed and each one politely thanked us as they passed...….it almost made me cry to be honest.....I must sound ancient, but that generation is disappearing before our eyes and that is sad to see.

We stopped off again at the pond with the Tower in the background...….it was much quieter now......

i-33cbvcW-XL.jpg

This was nice......but we aren't really folks that could spend a whole day here. If you have young children and want to spend a day with a picnic and have an area where your kids can ramble around and run to their hearts content, this is ideal for you.....it is a little out of the way, but not too far...….and if you seek some sedate place out of the way to enjoy peace and tranquility, this is a place you`ll enjoy.

We headed back down the full path and did see a couple of rabbits as well as the usual squirrels....it is pretty, and there is a café.....we didn't go in but folks seemed to be enjoying it as it was busy...…..

We went again to the bathroom and then headed back out to the car...…..

I know we won`t come back here again......this much tranquility and sedateness isn't really for us......although we aren't exactly party animals, this was just too placid for us in many ways, but I was glad we had visited.....it`s a tick on a box to say we`ve done it...…..

Time to head for lunch and hope we could find this place that was more than a little remote.

So excited!! Thanks - sounds like just the ticket to collect ourselves :)
And thanks for the Strong water Tavern review - thinking that might be just the spot for DH birthday dinner the day we arrive.

Oh you`ll love Strong Water......it really is a class act of a place.....we have a few more nights in there during this trip......always a favourite of ours.

Yes, it`s nice to find a little place just a little off the main path....and usually there`s very few people around.....ideal to catch your breath...…..

So, I had a place in mind for lunch that I had read about online from folks that do like to discover new and slightly out of the way places that offer amazing food and well off the tourist areas.....and I thought this sounded like just the ticket...…..

It was 15 minutes away from Bok Gardens......so, we popped the address into the satnav and hoped for the best.....I knew it was off the beaten track and quite remote.....although I half expected it to be on a dirt track road......well, it was on a main road to begin with......then it was a dirt track road......it was a trailer park.

Welcome to Cherry Pocket Steak and Seafood Shak...……

It was certainly unique...….

i-L4bBbPm-XL.jpg

i-pw6rngr-XL.jpg

Parking was in front of folks trailers, wherever you could find a space, and it was busy...…

i-n6WScLJ-XL.jpg

i-6dQbTcw-XL.jpg

i-brfkFjT-XL.jpg

Most people were sitting outside, and I hoped there were seats inside, as we prefer to eat in the air conditioning and it was incredibly hot again today.

i-M2nkCqd-XL.jpg

i-Stk5rvs-XL.jpg

i-HvPsMmT-XL.jpg

We went inside and walked over to the desk where we were shown a table and the staff were friendly.....

i-wHwtw9s-XL.jpg

We sat close to the bar and could really see how unique it was inside with loads of dollar bills signed from all over the world...…

It seemed a very local place with a few snowbirds thrown in for good measure......but we kept reminding ourselves, the food was supposed to be lovely.

i-v34nVVL-XL.jpg

i-sZR22kn-XL.jpg

We both ordered cokes and they arrived quickly, we hadn't decided what to have yet, so our friendly waitress said she`d come back there was no rush...….so we took our time and studied the lunch menu......the dinner menu has many more items on it, but there was plenty of choice for lunch, although it was very fish focused unsurprisingly...….

i-ZqrGRNt-XL.jpg

i-tPJH2K4-XL.jpg

I did like this sign!!!!!

i-WK7gDNg-XL.jpg

We did wait quite a time for her to come back and we didn't even see her in that time, but when she did come back we had decided. We decided to share the half pound of shrimp between us as an appetiser as I adore that dish.....I love shrimp in any way, but love them fresh with no batter or coating....although I am partial to coconut shrimp, and will make that exception occasionally...…

i-2Bdwf9Z-XL.jpg

The shrimp were delicious......full of flavour and very meaty texture...…

Our entrees were crab cake sandwich for Tom with a creole mustard sauce on top......and I ordered the grouper served blackened……..although we did have to go find her to get cutlery.....

i-gVBDswX-XL.jpg

Both came with odd fries, which were strangely nice, delicious coleslaw and the nicest hush puppy I have ever tasted. But to be fair, I thought hush puppies were something else......maybe potato??? So to discover it was deep fried cornbread which I love, I was surprised and delighted to taste this little treat of a side dish!!!

Tom`s crab cake was purely crab and delicious, probably the nicest crab cake I`ve ever eaten....Tom loved it, but wished he`d ordered the entrée instead of the sandwich.....it was too filling, so he left the bun.

My fish was delicious...….well cooked, I could have had it a little more blackened but, overall, it was a beautiful meal.

i-5tZq68b-XL.jpg

I went to the bathroom when we were done and was informed these were unique too......yes, they were. But, they were clean. And only two of them. And you could see your neighbour when you stood up...….lol...…

When I came back in Tom had paid and we were heading outside to have a little roam on the other side and then head home...….

You could see how easy it was for an alligator to just walk up here......I wasn't comfortable at all. Again, someone told us we should be more worried about the giant turtles......yep, I could worry about both.....I detest alligators and have no desire to even be this close to them.....cos, I know they`re in there......waiting and lurking...……

i-pjXzf3m-XL.jpg

i-XVjLwkx-XL.jpg

We took a last few pictures and left.....

Yes, the food was good, but would we ever come back here...……..

We drove back home again through some beautiful orange groves, it is stunning countryside and the farms with these stunning horses were beautiful...….

We did think of stopping on the way back at a place called Dundee....we have a Dundee in Scotland so the name stuck in our head.....but we didn't...…..

Once back home, we dropped the car off and went straight to our room...……and we had received a delivery while we were out today.…...how lovely!!!!! And a lovely card too...….

i-PmR5P2r-XL.jpg

This was ideal, as I was ready for a very large glass of something....anything...….it had been a very weird day and one I wouldn't forget for many reasons...….

I was glad to be home.

i-2R4dXWf-XL.jpg

Tonight was Mardi Gras and Sal`s for pizza...…..

Last edited:
Hush puppies and biscuits 'n gravy all in the same trip... look at you.

So you know how a song comes on the radio and an image will pop in your head. On the way home today this song comes on

and you and Tom just fit this song.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter