13 weeks pregnant.....can I really not do Space Mountain?

lock3130

Mouseketeer
My family and I are going to Disney tomorrow (yay! :goodvibes) and I am almost 12 weeks pregnant (another yay!). While I normally don't do some of the thrill rides, I always do Big Thunder, Rockin' Roller Coaster and Space Mountain.....should I avoid doing these rides?

Thanks!

You should check with your doctor over something so important.

each of those rides have signs suggesting they are not suitable for pregnant women,, personally I would not risk something like that for a ride,, there are plenty of other rides you can enjoy while there.

The concern is placental abruption. The quick starts, sudden stops and jarring could cause the placenta to separate from the uterus.

I too was pregnant when I last went to WDW. But I only was 7,5 weeks pregnant back then. So I was not showing at all. Not even in the end of my trip to WDW 2 weeks later.

Make sure you are not showing yet. That means that your uterus has not grown above the bone you have there. (sorry I'm not a native english speaker so I dont know the name of that particular bone).
If it's not above that bone, and you have a care free pregnancy so far, and you previous were too, than its ok.

If its above that bone, you need to make sure that the restraints are not in any way touching or going to touch your belly. I remember WDW Space Mountain being not so good for a pregnant woman who is showing.
BTM and Rock 'n Rollercoaster could be.

Remember that your belly will grow fast in these times. You might not be showing now. But maybe you are in just a few days.

What ever you decide, please talk to your midwife or your doctor about it.

My family and I are going to Disney tomorrow (yay! :goodvibes) and I am almost 12 weeks pregnant (another yay!). While I normally don't do some of the thrill rides, I always do Big Thunder, Rockin' Roller Coaster and Space Mountain.....should I avoid doing these rides?

Thanks!

I wouldn't chance it.

My OB (she's my OB, a friend, and a fellow disney nut lol!) OK'd splash mountain and the safari as the only "ok" ride for preggos... Although I *believe* there are rides like pirates and other tame rides that say "not advised" for preggos... those are ok too as far as she's concerned. She says no to big thunder mountain, space mountain, RNR, TOT, Everest, Kali River, Mission Space, Test Track, and I think that's all the huge thrill rides.

As a rule, I avoid rides with the pregnant woman warning. Exception---I did sneak on African Safari once in my third trimester. I asked the CM and they didn't deny me. To me it was no different than a bumpy road or severe turbulence on an aircraft--neither of which I was prohibited from in pregnancy. As for ither rides---I just choose not to risk it.

Before I knew I was pregnant in 2007---I had gone to Universal Studios and road the roller coasters including the Hulk---twice. I miscarried the following month. It was within a couple of weeks and an early loss, but I have no way of knowing if it was caused by those rides. I am now very strict about following the rules after that including the safari.

No rides with the warning for my 3rd and 4th babies (pregnancy 4 and 6) for either baby at all. Just couldn't deal with the guilt in the event something happened even if the ride wasn't the reason. My 3rd pregnancy was he only pregnancy where I had minimal separation of the placenta from the uterus and it was very scary. No theme park trips though--it just happened suddenly on it's own and necessitates a trip to the ER at 15 weeks to make sure things were okay.

Sorry for all the scary stuff. Just wanted to provide my reasoning of saying why I wouldn't do it. Space Mountain isn't going anywhere. :)

Thanks, everyone. We do frequent Disney at least once a year, so I will lay off the thrill rides. No sense in chancing it!

I believe I read somewhere that any rides that do not have height restrictions are fine. Check with your Dr. :) and congratulations!

Thanks!

I would DEF! ask you ob/gyn...even if you have to call from vacation.........seriously not worth any risk!
Congrats, and have a great trip and watch those hot tubs by the way;)

If it says no I would not, because if something happens (even it was not related to the ride) it would always haunt you.

Thanks, everyone. We do frequent Disney at least once a year, so I will lay off the thrill rides. No sense in chancing it!

Smart lady! Now congrats on your new little one on the way, drink tons of water, rest often and enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2

Remember, just because it isnt a thrill also doesn't mean it can't be dangerous. Toy Story Mania jerks so hard it threw my back out and ruined the rest of the trip, don't think I would risk it either if I was pregnant.

I was like 10 or so weeks pg our last trip and I asked my OB what I could ride and he said if I would feel comfortable holding my baby on my lap for the ride then it was ok. Like picture you're holding an infant and if the ride seems like you'd ride it with the infant then it's ok to ride pg. I did not ride Space Mountain, RNR, Haunted Mansion, pretty much any thrill rides. Sure, I would have loved to ride them but I have an amazing healthy daughter now and heaven forbid anything would have been wrong with her I'd always worry that riding those rides may have contributed.
I do have a special needs dd with some major health issues. A couple days before I found out I was pg with her I did some painting and inhaled paint fumes so much I had a horrible sore throat. So now I always blame myself that her problems are my fault. It's just not worth the guilt if something did happen. Like PP said, Space Mountain isn't going anywhere. Enjoy your trip!

When I was 16 weeks(was not showing at all) and getting married in Las Vegas I called my Dr. from there asking if I could ride a roller coaster. I tohught my Dr. was going to jump threw the phone and slap me. He told me "would you take your newborn on a roller coaster?" Simular to what another post said. I also had a classmate who was pregnant when we where teenagers (she hadn't told anyone) and we all went to Magic Mountain and she started miscarry at the park in the bathroom. So I wouldn't chance it. Hope you have great trip.

The general consensus of people on this board is no. YOu should discuss with your doctor. I went to DL at 20 weeks and mine was ok with me doing thrill rides. I did SM,BTMRR and Soarin. If I was in WDW I would have done the Safari and Kali and Test Track. I would have avoided ToT and maybe Mission Space.
She said most were no worse than a bumpy car ride and the baby is well protected.

I did not ride Space Mountain, RNR, Haunted Mansion, pretty much any thrill rides.!

Haunted Mansion? Really? :confused3 I admit I did the coasters at Hershey 10 weeks pregnant with my twins. My OB is pretty liberal with my pregnancies, and the earlier, the more protected the baby is. As someone who has fallen down stairs almost 42 weeks pregnant, with no issues (and no labor), I was pretty confident in my body's ability to protect them. My OB always assured me that if I was injured, and didn't need to be hospitalized, my baby would be fine.

Seriously, you have to ask? NO! Why risk the life of your baby over a ride? You can ask your OB, but be prepared for an eye roll.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter