• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10/1/21 (Planning thread for those w/ Magic Kingdom ressies on the BIG 50th)!

if you have a park pass…why?

we are staying at CR and we have plans to walk to CR around 7ish, close to 7:30. I doubt there will be anything special going on at 5 am.
I have a few friends that went to Disneyland 50th. While this is a little different since you are guaranteed entry with the park res system, some things still remain the same. Disneyland had people lining up at midnight the night prior to the 50th. I had some friends get there around 3 am. Even though they arrived at 3 am, merch lines (I'm talking about DL had merch that was only for that day) were still 3+ hours. I had one friend wait 5 hours for merch. Not only that but the ceremony, let's say the gates open at 730am with a line already formed you might be waiting for 1 hour+ to get in. By that time the ceremony will be over.

Also, who cares. The 50th only happens once. I would rather get there around 6 am to catch the ceremony while my wife who wants merch gets in line for that vs getting there when the busses arrive and testing that mess. Even to catch the first bus you better be down there 1 hour before it picks up to even have a shot at getting on the first bus, so that's already 6 am that you would have to be ready by. Or you can wake up around the same time 5:30am, and instead of catching a bus you can pay the $15 for an uber to the contemporary and get there before the busses.

I have a few friends that went to Disneyland 50th. While this is a little different since you are guaranteed entry with the park res system, some things still remain the same. Disneyland had people lining up at midnight the night prior to the 50th. I had some friends get there around 3 am. Even though they arrived at 3 am, merch lines (I'm talking about DL had merch that was only for that day) were still 3+ hours. I had one friend wait 5 hours for merch. Not only that but the ceremony, let's say the gates open at 730am with a line already formed you might be waiting for 1 hour+ to get in. By that time the ceremony will be over.

Also, who cares. The 50th only happens once. I would rather get there around 6 am to catch the ceremony while my wife who wants merch gets in line for that vs getting there when the busses arrive and testing that mess. Even to catch the first bus you better be down there 1 hour before it picks up to even have a shot at getting on the first bus, so that's already 6 am that you would have to be ready by. Or you can wake up around the same time 5:30am, and instead of catching a bus you can pay the $15 for an uber to the contemporary and get there before the busses.
Could it be possible Disney won’t let people camp out?
What about security? Is that at the TTC? The path to MK closes from the GF overnight, I thought…And CR has security on the path from the resort to MK…when does that open?

if you do not have a res /adr at a resort, you can’t get past security Into the resorts lot…where would an Uber driver drop you off?

I do not know the answers to these Qs…I am curious how people are planning on getting there before buses cars etc are allowed in the lots Or before monorails start moving…

is it right to assume someone with an ADR for early breakfast in MK would get a jump on all of that, even someone arriving at 3 AM? I think Disney has some sort of early breakfast early entry lane?

if there is something I am not thinking of, please let me know..I just do not know how people will be able to get to the gates before security opens and the first transports leave from the TTC.

are you planning on just hanging out at the TTC for the first wave of transportation? Or finding a way to get to the CR walking path?

Last edited:

What type of ceremony could be expected?
Right at park opening?
Thanks!
There are typically multiple ceremonies/events throughout the day. In this case I doubt that any of them would start at 8am. I've been to a number of anniversaries including DL's 50th and only once have I known a ceremony to be right after opening (DLP's 20th). The ceremonies typically don't start super early but people will usually stake out for them right away when they enter the park. On DL's 50th there was a split between people going to the dedicated merch location and people staking out for the first ceremony (there were two different ones: one with the big shots and a smaller one with the dedication). On DLP's 25th I believe the ceremony (which was more like a show/parade and lasted a full hour) started about an hour after park opening but Main Street and the hub were filled as people came in. The arcades were used to bypass the masses deeper into the park. There were two more big cavalcades with characters throughout the day.

And btw: the merch line on DL's 50th was much much shorter in the afternoon, I think we waited 20 minutes or so. IIRC the only thing that had sold out were the day-of LE pins. But this was before the age of mass resellers.

What about security? Is that at the TTC? The path to MK closes from the GF overnight, I thought…And CR has security on the path from the resort to MK…when does that open?

if you do not have a res /adr at a resort, you can’t get past security Into the resorts lot…where would an Uber driver drop you off?

I do not know the answers to these Qs…I am curious how people are planning on getting there before buses cars etc are allowed in the lots Or before monorails start moving…

is it right to assume someone with an ADR for early breakfast in MK would get a jump on all of that, even someone arriving at 3 AM? I think Disney has some sort of early breakfast early entry lane?

if there is something I am not thinking of, please let me know..I just do not know how people will be able to get to the gates before security opens and the first transports leave from the TTC.

are you planning on just hanging out at the TTC for the first wave of transportation? Or finding a way to get to the CR walking path?
I think it's easier to control park access at WDW than Disneyland. Even pre-covid, I've been on a bus to Epcot where they were holding it because too many people were at the main entry. We just sat there and waited. Monorails also. You will just be paused until it is ok to arrive. I expect them to do the same thing on the 1st.

There are typically multiple ceremonies/events throughout the day. In this case I doubt that any of them would start at 8am. I've been to a number of anniversaries including DL's 50th and only once have I known a ceremony to be right after opening (DLP's 20th). The ceremonies typically don't start super early but people will usually stake out for them right away when they enter the park. On DL's 50th there was a split between people going to the dedicated merch location and people staking out for the first ceremony (there were two different ones: one with the big shots and a smaller one with the dedication). On DLP's 25th I believe the ceremony (which was more like a show/parade and lasted a full hour) started about an hour after park opening but Main Street and the hub were filled as people came in. The arcades were used to bypass the masses deeper into the park. There were two more big cavalcades with characters throughout the day.

And btw: the merch line on DL's 50th was much much shorter in the afternoon, I think we waited 20 minutes or so. IIRC the only thing that had sold out were the day-of LE pins. But this was before the age of mass resellers.

with the limitations in place for March, I am feeling better about our decision to have breakfast at cindys at 815. We should be finishing our meal just before things might begin and we will already be at the castle.

I did not think there would be a lot of encouraged gathering due to covid. We are thinking of leaving CR to walk at 7 since it is only a 10 min walk as we have rezzes this should be ok.

Our Rez is for 815. I just hope they let reservation people through…anyone have any experience with that?

with the limitations in place for March, I am feeling better about our decision to have breakfast at cindys at 815. We should be finishing our meal just before things might begin and we will already be at the castle.

I did not think there would be a lot of encouraged gathering due to covid. We are thinking of leaving CR to walk at 7 since it is only a 10 min walk as we have rezzes this should be ok.

Our Rez is for 815. I just hope they let reservation people through…anyone have any experience with that?
8:15 is after park open, so I am not really sure they will let you in early persay

Pre-covid ADR for Crystal Palace: we went over to the left where there was a checkin station for ADRs. They looked at your time and told you when you could go in. They weren't just letting everyone in.

The more I think about the more likely I am to forego trying to use the monorail or boat. I think I'll grab a coffee from Kona Island and take a nice walk around the lake to get to MK that morning.

My husband & I will be there! Our plan, like many other’s it seems, is just to be there and soak up the atmosphere. We generally try to go to WDW on off low crowd times, so purposely putting ourselves in the midst of what is sure to be crazy amounts of people, is not our norm. But wanted to be in MK on the 1st and told ourselves we’ll take a break, if we need it (we’re staying at TGF, so easy to jet back to our room) Still, we are looking forward to the day and the Enchantment fireworks very much!

We have basically same plan. Walking over from BLT, resort guests are let in at 7:30 for 8am opening. We have CRT at 8:15 as well and hoping we will be done in time to catch some stuff.
I'd like to grab some merch, but I did grab some when first released. (AP shirt, blue shirt and I got the 50th MBs ordered last week.) Just incase lol
I turned 50 in March, so I'm gobbling up what I can-only turn 50 once the same year as WDW. :)

My friend and I are going more for the atmosphere than the merch- maybe get a pin if we can- however we do have a goal of trying to get on the 8 original rides still there, plus the 3 shows and possibly tom ssawyers island- are we absolutely insane for thinking we can get this done???
:scratchin I think you are insane to want to go to Tom Sawyer's Island but we each have our own Disney Dream :wizard:

My friend and I are going more for the atmosphere than the merch- maybe get a pin if we can- however we do have a goal of trying to get on the 8 original rides still there, plus the 3 shows and possibly tom ssawyers island- are we absolutely insane for thinking we can get this done???
The shows you probably won't have an issue. The rides, eh maybe a couple of them.

Any other crazy people thinking of park hopping? I am on a very short weekend trip and am thinking of heading over to AK midday space permitting to catch Kitetails and see FOTLK but being back by 5pm. I figure this is “safe” because I have a MK park reservation. Also, any predictions for how they will handle people wanting to hop TO mk on the 1st?

We will be there. We don't want any specific Oct 1 merchandise, but I would like to get a jersey (if we can find one). I'm just so excited to be there for the 50th. We are staying at AKL so will be taking a bus over.

I have a similar goal, but I doubt it’s doable…. But I hope I’m wrong

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter