• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10/1/21 (Planning thread for those w/ Magic Kingdom ressies on the BIG 50th)!

tofubeast

DIS Veteran
While there are threads for the overall 50th-anniversary celebration that will run for 18 months, this is the place to solely chat about planning and strategies for those with park reservations at the Magic Kingdom on the big anniversary itself, 10/1/21!

So if you're planning to be in Magic Kingdom specifically on 10/1/21, this thread’s for you! I ask that you keep all discussion here to that sole date as there are plenty of other threads related to the overall 50th-anniversary celebration.

Scroll down to the next 2 posts for news, fun views, and helpful information!

————-
What are your plans for the big day at MK? I've been passing time by watching videos and reading old news blogs from Disneyland's 50th. I am hoping lines to get inside won't be too insane due to the park reservation system. Maybe that is too optimistic! For DL's 60th, they had an event for people to come to the park dressed like opening day ('55). I think I want to arrive at MK with a '71 vibe about me. I'm still working on that.

Last edited:
Magic Kingdom News, Schedule, and Information for 10/1/21

Park Reservations: Check out the Availability Calendar. While reservations may be full for Magic Kingdom (most often than not), your due diligence in checking for openings might pay off.

Park Hours: 8AM—11PM. Disney resort guests will be able to enter early (half-hour earlier). Here’s a list of attractions that will be open earlier.

Park Schedule: There was been no announcement yet of an opening ceremony/dedication. (If like Disneyland50, it could be at 10AM).
For now, we only know that the new fireworks spectacular, Disney Enchantment, will be at 9PM.

Park Hopping: While it hasn’t happened yet, there’s a chance that hopping may not be possible to MK if capacity is reached. Be sure to keep an eye on the app for news on that day.

General Celebration Info:
Latest: 50th anniversary additions to Electrical Water Pageant!
More info about Disney Enchantment
ABC will air a 50th Anniversary Special on 10/1
Sneak Peek at 50th Merch
Fab 50 Gold Sculptures
Snapchat Lenses for 50th
Orlando Intl Airport

Last edited:
Going with my mom. Told her we're going early & prepare to be there for the long haul. Figure it will be really crowded so not sure how much we can actually do, but more to just enjoy being in the park & celebrating the day with whatever festivities Disney has planned.

Going with my mom. Told her we're going early & prepare to be there for the long haul. Figure it will be really crowded so not sure how much we can actually do, but more to just enjoy being in the park & celebrating the day with whatever festivities Disney has planned.

That's my attitude as well. I doubt I will hit more than a handful of rides, and I am totally fine with that. I want to be there for whatever presentation(s) might occur in front of the castle, and of course, I'd love a good spot for Enchantment that evening. Oh, and a cupcake. And if it's anything like Disneyland 50, I read there were lots of free cupcakes that day.

That's my attitude as well. I doubt I will hit more than a handful of rides, and I am totally fine with that. I want to be there for whatever presentation(s) might occur in front of the castle, and of course, I'd love a good spot for Enchantment that evening. Oh, and a cupcake. And if it's anything like Disneyland 50, I read there were lots of free cupcakes that day.
This is our plan as well.....enjoy the atmosphere and hopefully they'll have some cool anniversary entertainment, snacks & merch especially for Oct 1

We'll be there! I've never been to the parks on a day as big as this so I have no idea what to expect, but I definitely expect it to be incredibly crowded! At this point I'm just hoping to take in the sights, buy some merchandise, receive anything special they may give out (maybe a special celebration pin like the ones they handed out for Mickey's birthday?), and take some PhotoPass photos. I'm also hoping if it's too crazy we could leave and come back later in the evening, but I also don't want to risk not being able to get back in for the fireworks!

I was so excited that I got park reservations for that day! I kept checking and finally got them earlier this month. I anticipate merch lines being long that day. I’m waiting with bated breath for merch info. I figure I’m gonna have to prioritize the things I want because things will sell out. I was totally not prepared for Epcot’s 35th, and while I was standing in line for one item others sold out at other locations. I feel like this time I need a plan of attack, a map of what is gonna be where, and minions! Anyone want to be a minion? Lol.

I still remember reading about the 1971 opening. All the kids in the neighborhood were talking about the “East Coast Disneyland”. One was actually going in the spring of 1972 and the rest of us were insanely jealous!

My spouse and I have our MK park passes and BWV reservation for the 50th. She has changed her mind a couple of times about going (“I want to be there” or “It will be too crowded”). Currently, we are going.

I was planning on showing up a bit later, maybe at 10 am. No idea if I will still be able to get in at that time. Hoping my Park Pass gets me in.

Like others, probably no more than 2 or 3 rides. We’ll also probably will skip the fireworks. Seems like it will be insanely crowded for that.

I’ve been thinking about being there for the 50th since the 45th. But as it gets closer, I’m now worried about the worst crowds I’ve ever seen.

Just being there will be enough.

And not taking 2 hours to get back to my room will be even better! :)

Last edited:
We booked CR as soon as we could specifically for the quick access to and from MK that weekend. We really don’t have any expectations tbh, we will get there as early as we can and dip if/when it gets too crazy. Will be down for 2 weeks so are not stressing about getting things done. We are staying CL so will have another option to hang out somewhere not crazy. Mostly we’re just excited to go for such a milestone, neither of us have ever been there for anything special like that.

Staying at FW and plan to be there early just like Christmas morning. Don’t really know what to expect, but if it’s set up like other recent special events (May 4th), we will be on the lookout for QR boards and/or lines for anniversary merch.

Last edited:
My DH and I are planning on going, no kids. I don't expect to do much, I just want to be there. And buy special merch lol. I won't buy anything specific, such as "I was there" merch, unless I actually was. So since I will be there, I want the shirt haha :teeth: !

Right now we have reservations at BWI CL and GF garden view. I really want CL, and we are doing Epcot and DHS our other 2 days, so we would be able to walk to those parks. But I'm worried about getting to the MK that morning. Where would you stay, GF to be able to walk to the MK that AM, or BWI CL with the ability to walk to the other two parks on our other days? I'm so torn.

We'll be there! Have reservations at the Contemporary in the garden wing so I was hoping we could arrive early and then leave mid day when the crowds are too much and hopefully come back that night. If not we'll live. I'm sure we can see the firework show from the hotel and we can catch it next year.

Only really going for the "Oh I was there!" aspect lol

Does the color Gold make me guilty?9C17C70B-FC2D-4E75-9067-A97F2921992D.png]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter