đź”´ Livestream - DVC Kawfee Tawk on May 8th, 2021

Sorry, Pete. Still don’t buy it. They were trying to pass off extra fees as a special program (that you cannot opt out of.) People saw right through it.

Also, I don’t think it is so much the extra fee that bothers people as much as the way it was positioned.

What would Pete’s response be if Disney pulled something like this? He is allowed to rant and be critical of the smallest most trivial changes Disney makes, but customers (and potential customers) of the DVC Resale Market aren’t allowed to question anything?

Sorry, Pete. Still don’t buy it. They were trying to pass off extra fees as a special program (that you cannot opt out of.) People saw right through it.

Also, I don’t think it is so much the extra fee that bothers people as much as the way it was positioned.

What would Pete’s response be if Disney pulled something like this? He is allowed to rant and be critical of the smallest most trivial changes Disney makes, but customers (and potential customers) of the DVC Resale Market aren’t allowed to question anything?
I agree with this. If you need to make more money, increase your commission. I’ve bought two contracts through DVCRM and I didn’t hear much from the person who worked for DVCRM through the process. They were the mediator in the negotiation and sent the paperwork to sign. I got an email after the contract passed ROFR and then I dealt exclusively with the title company. The level of service that I received was perfectly fine and I wouldn’t need to expect anything above that.

So has this new service been removed for now? What about those who wouldn’t mind signing up for it?

I would actually appreciate more contact from them buying for the first time

I agree with this. If you need to make more money, increase your commission.
They did, from 8.5% to 8.9% which will net them an additional ~$0.3M per year 4,000 contracts * 125 points * $125 / point * 0.4%. Plug in your own numbers as you like but order of magnitude is correct.

The $79 concierge fee would net them an additional ~$0.3M 4,000 contracts * $79 / contract. If the do more contracts this year it would obviously go up.

$0.6M for two employees? Where can I apply?!

Could this all this just be smoke and mirrors? Get everyone agitated with the fee so no one talks about the increase in commission? Or even better, do both at once pull back the one that takes the most flak. Then look like heroes while still increasing revenue. Brilliant business move, almost as good as New Coke from the 1980’s!

Interesting that other businesses that did weird things and then changed course didn’t get equal consideration or defense (DVC, David’s DVC rental). I don’t remember that thread about David’s getting deleted. I wonder what the difference is?

I understand what they're trying to do but from a customer point of view, a mandatory service fee with a separate line item always feels dirty. It gives off vibes of "document fees" in car transactions or "resort fees" when booking a hotel.

It's obviously not about the amount because none of us would let $79 stand between us and our ideal contract... but having it as a separate line item gives us visibility to it.

They did, from 8.5% to 8.9% which will net them an additional ~$0.3M per year 4,000 contracts * 125 points * $125 / point * 0.4%. Plug in your own numbers as you like but order of magnitude is correct.

The $79 concierge fee would net them an additional ~$0.3M 4,000 contracts * $79 / contract. If the do more contracts this year it would obviously go up.
The average price per point is also up significantly over last year. A $140/point AKL contract doesn't take more work to process then a $105/point AKL contract.

I just started watching when it came up in my YT recs and thought...somewhere, someone must be discussing this. This is crazy and Pete is way off the mark.

Pete just pulled the "I have information you don't" card. That is not okay. Customers do not owe you anything in blind faith or trust.

Also, Nick's explanation was very weak. It sounds like the salespeople got assistants so the sales people can sell more. Great. But that means they will make more sales, so why do customers have to pay more because an office employee called them rather than their experienced sales guy?

I turned it off after 22 minutes, it was really insulting to the audience. I can't imagine talking to my customers with an attitude like that.

Last edited:
I just started watching when it came up in my YT recs and thought...somewhere, someone must be discussing this. This is crazy and Pete is way off the mark.

Pete just pulled the "I have information you don't" card. That is not okay. Customers do not owe you anything in blind faith or trust.

Also, Nick's explanation was very weak. It sounds like the salespeople got assistants so the sales people can sell more. Great. But that means they will make more sales, so why do customers have to pay more because an office employee called them rather than their experienced sales guy?

I turned it off after 22 minutes, it was really insulting to the audience. I can't imagine talking to my customers with an attitude like that.
See my post here. Couldn’t agree with you more.

See my post here. Couldn’t agree with you more.

Ohh thanks for the link. I was coming in with no context and didn’t even know there was a controversy. And a backpack?? There is a backpack? Well that might change my opinion. (Joking, joking.)

It was the tone, I was like, I don’t even know what is happening, but that’s not the tone to take with customers. If you want me to hear you out, ask me nicely to hear you out and hold the attitude.

Ohh thanks for the link. I was coming in with no context and didn’t even know there was a controversy. And a backpack?? There is a backpack? Well that might change my opinion. (Joking, joking.)

It was the tone, I was like, I don’t even know what is happening, but that’s not the tone to take with customers. If you want me to hear you out, ask me nicely to hear you out and hold the attitude.

Just to add a little more context, there was a very long thread on the DVC boards concerning the new fee with most people being critical of it. It has since been removed by the moderators, but that is what triggered the discussion in this video.

I was also really put off by Pete's attitude. In my humble opinion he was way out of line. Over time, I've found myself watching fewer and fewer videos that he participates in. I still love the rest of the team though, and have just become more choosy about which videos I watch.

I've binged every episode in the last two weeks because I'm new to the boards and a new DVC owner...well...if they ever send me my darn emails...but this was the first one I ever turned off early. The burden is on the company to explain, clearly, how and why the new fee would work and how consumers would benefit. They didn't do that, and the consumers reacted. I don't have a problem with that specifically because businesses roll out things that don't go over well all the time. My problem was was with the video, where everyone seemed to double down. If there's info we don't have and that's why we don't get it, then tell us the info!! It's that simple. I felt talked down to and belittled, and it was a huge turnoff. Loyalty to sponsors is one thing, but disrespecting the customer is another.

One reason I am leery of The DVC Rental Store is they are not transparent about cost per points and they really nail you on some listing, so you have to sit there with a calculator and all the point charts while shifting through listings. It's a headache and a half and they could easily disclose it, but of course they don't want to.

User @Doberge pointed this specific example out. This rental works out $28 dollars a point. That's really, really high in my opinion. You can find an owner who will rent to you for $22 per point, easily.

https://dvcrentalstore.com/guests/reservations/6092f4554878e7001b62c3a8/

Anyways, it's all smoke and mirrors and I dislike it.

Last edited:
The guy who ”explained” it all....wow. He wants to conduct a Quality Improvement project on the client’s dime. He admits he has no idea if it will cut any time off the process. “We want to see if it works. Maybe we can cut 2 days off the process. What if we can do 12?”

Shady. And some ridiculous examples. “What if there is an international seller who doesn’t know how to use a computer? Maybe we can help. Not sure, but maybe. In any event, pay this extra $.”

I was surprised that so much time was given to explain every facet of the former/paused/? Concierge Program. If it takes 20-30 min to explain, then something in the execution isn't fitting well. The more details and aspects that were discussed, the more it seemed to me that the Concierge Program is simply a reorganization of the business process, perhaps a new division, but fundamentally evolving the overall same business neccessary to complete the real estate transaction.

When I hear "concierge" I think optional perk or ancillary service. If I use concierge at a hotel, I might make my life easier with obtaining dinner reservations - but it's not necessary to my lodging. This program sounds like they are adjusting the pillows in the room- I need pillows in the room, it's fundamental to the lodging experience. Pillows in a hotel room aren't optional.

I don't hold any business in a negative light for evolving their process, creating divisions of duties in order to streamline tasks and increase efficiencies. A business must evolve and adapt over time. That's what the explanations sounded like to me- an evolution of integral business work flow, not an ancillary service.

And removing the lengthy discussion that was targeting this from the very beginning??? I expect the moderators to combine discussions but completely deleting all of them? Did we say something bad?

And removing the lengthy discussion that was targeting this from the very beginning??? I expect the moderators to combine discussions but completely deleting all of them? Did we say something bad?

There are even two concurrent threads on the same topic with many of the same posts, this one and one of the DVC mousallaneous forum where my original comment referenced by disneyland_is_magic
was moved to, presumably because I was too harsh on the sponsor? I don't really know. Some other comments were moved from here to there but obviously not all. It's been interestingly moderated.

Pete's a stand up guy and I really believe if he knew of the issues that he would change course but he's a super busy guy with many businesses plus he's friends with the WoD people to give them any benefit of doubt to them that nothing's really going to change.

There are even two concurrent threads on the same topic with many of the same posts, this one and one of the DVC mousallaneous forum where my original comment referenced by disneyland_is_magic
was moved to, presumably because I was too harsh on the sponsor? I don't really know. Some other comments were moved from here to there but obviously not all. It's been interestingly moderated.

Pete's a stand up guy and I really believe if he knew of the issues that he would change course but he's a super busy guy with many businesses plus he's friends with the WoD people to give them any benefit of doubt to them that nothing's really going to change.
I was searching for the original conversation . It was very lengthy because DVC Resale Market owner, Nick Cotton immediately joined in to try to explain the offer. I still can’t find it. Do you have the link?

I was searching for the original conversation . It was very lengthy because DVC Resale Market owner, Nick Cotton immediately joined in to try to explain the offer. I still can’t find it. Do you have the link?

I don't have that one. I may have been unclear, I was referencing a thread that has the same title as this one but it's on a dvc board. Some posts were moved from here to there and it's why reading here is disjointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter