“It’s for your safety.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering how this is working at dog friendly resorts? (I don't own a dog so it wouldn't apply to me but...)
If someone starts knocking on a door and won't stop and you go to answer and your dog goes nuts and bites the security guard what happens then?
Disney is gonna lose a lot of guests if they don't get their at together.
If I start having piss poor experiences I'll consider staying elsewhere.

I understand that Disney is trying to reduce risk of weapon incidents with this policy. However, how long until someone claims that the single male security person assaulted a lone female in a room? Or that a lone male guest behaved inappropriately towards a lone female security guard?

If they want to reduce incidents, xray luggage and guests as they enter the hotel. Use bomb sniffing dogs - easy enough to walk them up and down the corridors at night then enter any room they detect something bad at.

The policy is badly designed - and I say this as a former Chief Information Security Officer for a $1B company.

I actually might respond by completely ignoring the intrusion. Just stay in bed, pretend to sleep, even if the guy comes in. Since I know Disney does this, I wouldn't really be worried at a deluxe resort. I know other people have different comfort levels, but I am not very easily frightened. I'm much more easily annoyed- lol. When the guy would force his way in & try to talk to me, I'd just lie there on my stomach pretending to sleep very deeply until he left. Not my job to receive uninvited guests while I'm trying to nap in my overpriced resort room.

This is me... "frightened"? NO.
Annoyed? You better run!

Is it my imagination or do the most egregious reports seem to be coming from the deluxe and DVC resorts? I am not doubting the reports, but just wondering why I seem to be reading more of them from GF or WL than All Star or Pop? I just returned from an 11 day stay at Pop and my sign was up until noon each day, and not one knock on the door. Just daily housekeeping like normal. Is there something different in how the policies are being applied or do you think it has something to do with proximity to the parks? I would think that angering the guests of their most expensive resorts would be a big issue.

I'm wondering if something about verbally telling housekeeping you're going to be in there is triggering the alert to security since two people on here (the OP and one other) are reporting that security came shortly after they told housekeeping they were going to be in there and not to come in.

Is it my imagination or do the most egregious reports seem to be coming from the deluxe and DVC resorts? I am not doubting the reports, but just wondering why I seem to be reading more of them from GF or WL than All Star or Pop? I just returned from an 11 day stay at Pop and my sign was up until noon each day, and not one knock on the door. Just daily housekeeping like normal. Is there something different in how the policies are being applied or do you think it has something to do with proximity to the parks? I would think that angering the guests of their most expensive resorts would be a big issue.
Maybe they are taking the daily checks more seriously at the resorts in close proximity to the parks.

I'm wondering how this is working at dog friendly resorts? (I don't own a dog so it wouldn't apply to me but...)
If someone starts knocking on a door and won't stop and you go to answer and your dog goes nuts and bites the security guard what happens then?

This is why I've decided to board my dogs at Best Friends all week instead of them staying with us at the YC.

@HopperFan was staying at POP and said it happened 3 times.

I'm wondering if something about verbally telling housekeeping you're going to be in there is triggering the alert to security since two people on here (the OP and one other) are reporting that security came shortly after they told housekeeping they were going to be in there and not to come in.

Which is ludicrous since that's surely a sign of an impending attack of some sort.

Really though, that's ridiculous that that would cause a red flag. A woman with a headache who wants a nap.

And I would have felt extremely uncomfortable as a woman in that position. I generally don't answer the door or even the phone without knowing who it is. Very unacceptable.

I understand that Disney is trying to reduce risk of weapon incidents with this policy. However, how long until someone claims that the single male security person assaulted a lone female in a room? Or that a lone male guest behaved inappropriately towards a lone female security guard?

If they want to reduce incidents, xray luggage and guests as they enter the hotel. Use bomb sniffing dogs - easy enough to walk them up and down the corridors at night then enter any room they detect something bad at.

The policy is badly designed - and I say this as a former Chief Information Security Officer for a $1B company.
Exactly.

@HopperFan was staying at POP and said it happened 3 times.

Hmmm . . Do you recall if they declined housekeeping? I didn’t. Just trying to figure out why it seems to be happening frequently to some and not at all to others. It’s the inconsistency that bugs me. There’s a difference in”random” and “inconsistent “.

As to the comment someone made that it’s prudent to sleep in clothes, I always do that in a hotel, but I do it because of fire. I don’t want to be the person on the news wrapped in a sheet because there wasn’t time to get dressed before an evacuation (especially since my friends and neighbors watch the local news). A tee shirt and shorts of a heavy enough weight that they aren’t transparent are comfortable to sleep in and good enough to be seen in by strangers.

It's for "your safety" to have a man who hasn't fully identified himself to barge into your room while you are alone and napping? I would have been livid. I understand it's WDW property and they have the right to enter, but, as guests, I feel we should have the right to a modicum of privacy and the ability to nap, undisturbed, in our rooms during the day. This is a recipe for disaster. What's to stop anyone from banging on the door claiming they are there for the "security" check? Not only that, but, boy, I would not be planning a honeymoon at a WDW resort anytime soon!

As to the comment someone made that it’s prudent to sleep in clothes, I always do that in a hotel, but I do it because of fire. I don’t want to be the person on the news wrapped in a sheet because there wasn’t time to get dressed before an evacuation (especially since my friends and neighbors watch the local news).

My hubs and I go on trips without kids often. So...WDW looks less appealing to us. I always have clothes close by by I don't worry about fire any more there than I do at home. We are about to go for an anniversary trip and I will not modify my special trip because of their inability to get their crap policy together.

My hubs and I go on trips without kids often. So...WDW looks less appealing to us. I always have clothes close by by I don't worry about fire any more there than I do at home. We are about to go for an anniversary trip and I will not modify my special trip because of their inability to get their crap policy together.

I just wouldn’t have the presence of mind to think about clothes if a fire alarm is going off. I hope I remember to put on the flip flops I keep by the bed. My sister has had two fire evaluations at night on different vacations (not Disney) and was also glad to not have to worry about grabbing clothes (they were both actual fires and one was in Vermont in winter). It’s all in what you feel comfortable with.

Honestly I probably wouldn’t have opened and instead called down to the front desk to verify what was happening but I wonder if they’d even know?

The “front desk” button goes to an offsite (perhaps out of state) call center, so no, they won’t know.

I’m thinking the housekeeper notified security that she wouldn’t be entering your room for cleaning, so security showed up to look around in the room. I agree this is very intrusive and unpleasant.

Which is ridiculous. Why wouldn’t the housekeeper just take a minute and come into your room then instead of saying ok? I mean, they hear you say “I’m going to nap”, “I have a headache”, etc, and to leave you alone, and then they make this happen? Just say “no”.

Unless they are inspecting every nook and cranny...between mattresses, in laundry piles, suitcases, under the bed, in pillow cases, etc....I’m not really sure what the point is?

Agreed.

Seriously, the mass shooting was NOT the fault of the Vegas hotel and I don't like being treated like a criminal because of it.

I agree with you. Alas I’m pretty sure survivors and family members are indeed suing.

And there’s no signed waiver strong enough that a lawyer can’t get around.

We signed waivers for my son’s dance event, and when he broke his arm for reasons that were 3/4 the fault of the hotel and teachers, they were *terrified* of us. My sis in law (a lawyer) was livid with us that we didn’t sue.

And then when they made some pretty big changes for the next year based on that, she was livid again because changing things was admitting fault.

There are a ton of reasons why we need to check your room

No. There aren’t.

There are solid reasons guests don’t want people in their rooms. Until such time that hotels have safes big enough to carry the electronics many bring with them, having staff come in, and having Disney housekeeping prop open doors like they’ve done for years, just isn’t acceptable.

I do however think that this type of thing is one that people will complain about because of the inconvenience until something actually bad happens and then you have people pointing fingers asking why wasn’t more done.

If only people could be grownup after incidents. Vegas wasn’t the fault of the hotel. It was the fault of the guy that did it.

I wish that “pointing fingers” wasn’t anything people paid attention to.

Just daily housekeeping like normal.

You had housekeeping coming in. That was your room check. That’s the difference in your situation vs others.

Hmmm . . Do you recall if they declined housekeeping? I didn’t. Just trying to figure out why it seems to be happening frequently to some and not at all to others. It’s the inconsistency that bugs me. There’s a difference in”random” and “inconsistent “.

As to the comment someone made that it’s prudent to sleep in clothes, I always do that in a hotel, but I do it because of fire. I don’t want to be the person on the news wrapped in a sheet because there wasn’t time to get dressed before an evacuation (especially since my friends and neighbors watch the local news). A tee shirt and shorts of a heavy enough weight that they aren’t transparent are comfortable to sleep in and good enough to be seen in by strangers.

I believe it was mentioned in those posts that they did decline housekeeping.
However Disney has been offering gift cards at certain resorts if people opt in to decline housekeeping to make the environment more green.
So what here's a gift card for the inconvenience of invading your small amount of privacy?
Disney is a mess and needs to get it together.
Either force housekeeping on everyone or leave people alone. That would be the better solution then randomly entering rooms whenever you feel like it.
As far as being decent o open the door if interrupted during a nap... should we shower with our clothes on as well?
Sorry not actually trying to direct that at you but more of making a general statement of how far is too far to bend over backwards for this crap.

This was from the other thread:
upload_2018-1-25_20-34-8.png

To which my response was that's counterproductive to the whole "safety" thing

I am guessing the vast majority of people who stay at the Disney resorts probably don't bother to read forums like these. Could you imagine being totally unaware that a security is entering rooms like this when you open the door? I am one of those people who always hangs the DND sign on my door. I don't want hotel personnel coming in my room when I am staying (even though I know they have access anyway). Now this will always be in the back of my head while I am in my hotel room, be it sleeping, relaxing, etc. Combine this with the fact they are granting fast passes to outside hotels while continuing to raise the prices, I am seriously thinking after this already scheduled trip that we might as well just stay off property to save money and the hassle.

I also echo the question of what type of ID was shown by the security guy prior to him entering?

I just wouldn’t have the presence of mind to think about clothes if a fire alarm is going off. I hope I remember to put on the flip flops I keep by the bed. My sister has had two fire evaluations at night on different vacations (not Disney) and was also glad to not have to worry about grabbing clothes (they were both actual fires and one was in Vermont in winter). It’s all in what you feel comfortable with.

Lol if I were naked I'd automatically think about my clothes. No one wants to see that!

This was from the other thread:
View attachment 298045

To which my response was that's counterproductive to the whole "safety" thing

So if one wanted to slip out of the security radar one would only need to bring a dog? Yeah that's real smart.

I am guessing the vast majority of people who stay at the Disney resorts probably don't bother to read forums like these. Could you imagine being totally unaware that a security is entering rooms like this when you open the door? I am one of those people who always hangs the DND sign on my door. I don't want hotel personnel coming in my room when I am staying (even though I know they have access anyway). Now this will always be in the back of my head while I am in my hotel room, be it sleeping, relaxing, etc. Combine this with the fact they are granting fast passes to outside hotels while continuing to raise the prices, I am seriously thinking after this already scheduled trip that we might as well just stay off property to save money and the hassle.

I also echo the question of what type of ID was shown by the security guy prior to him entering?

Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter