“It’s for your safety.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree but they need to stop doing the $ for bypassing housekeeping. They should have discontinued it the moment they started the new policy.

Discontinued which policy, being able to opt out of housekeeping or receiving money for opting out? We opted out, it was nice to have a monetary incentive for doing so. The security check policy doesn't bother us, and we didn't have anyone check on us while we were there a week ago.

I posted a couple of pages back about not being able to get an "Off to Neverland" sign for my room so I thought I'd update...three days, two nights, multiple calls and notes to housekeeping, and one trip to the front desk later and I did finally find a sign in my room tonight. My daughter does not need to meet her group until 11 am, so it will be a late morning in the room and I'm hoping she can get some extra rest. I guess we'll see.

Also to mention, someone had mentioned a welcome packet in the room but there wasn't any other information about the new policy in the room, just the old sign someone else posted and a brochure that does not reference it. Maybe the next one will catch up with the policy change.

I couldn't mention earlier (because my bus trip ended) that my conversation about it with the front desk went in an unexpected direction that I am still processing but wanted to post a few thoughts.

I had gone to the front desk since I couldn't get a sign from housekeeping. As I mentioned, the first CM had no idea what I was talking about, but another CM heard and came over. I was not confrontational or angry. I was not even reporting any type of problem or incident, I just needed a sign since the group obligations are dictating our schedule in a way that I needed it.

They referred me back to housekeeping and then I said something along the lines of, "Can you help me understand how the new policy works here and what I might to expect in my room? We're going to be in our room during The day sometimes." I don't know if they've had issues, but the CM took an immediately defensive and fairly antagonistic stance which kind of blindsided me. I told him multiple times I wasn't questioning the policy change itself but that I just wanted to know some practical stuff, like if I could ask them to come back, etc. He couldn't provide a lot of specific answers, but did tell me it was "it was in my best interest" to answer if they knock. I asked what to do if they knocked while I was in the shower but he wouldn't answer. At one point he said, "I don't know where this line of questioning is going?" I was a little taken aback. I told him I was traveling alone with my 11 YO daughter and I just wanted to know how it worked. Since he emphasized multiple times that it is a change in policy, I don't think it's too much to ask as a guest how it works, especially as it may vary from resort to resort? :confused3 and as it was not mentioned at check in. Sorry for the long post!

I posted a couple of pages back about not being able to get an "Off to Neverland" sign for my room so I thought I'd update...three days, two nights, multiple calls and notes to housekeeping, and one trip to the front desk later and I did finally find a sign in my room tonight. My daughter does not need to meet her group until 11 am, so it will be a late morning in the room and I'm hoping she can get some extra rest. I guess we'll see.

Also to mention, someone had mentioned a welcome packet in the room but there wasn't any other information about the new policy in the room, just the old sign someone else posted and a brochure that does not reference it. Maybe the next one will catch up with the policy change.

I couldn't mention earlier (because my bus trip ended) that my conversation about it with the front desk went in an unexpected direction that I am still processing but wanted to post a few thoughts.

I had gone to the front desk since I couldn't get a sign from housekeeping. As I mentioned, the first CM had no idea what I was talking about, but another CM heard and came over. I was not confrontational or angry. I was not even reporting any type of problem or incident, I just needed a sign since the group obligations are dictating our schedule in a way that I needed it.

They referred me back to housekeeping and then I said something along the lines of, "Can you help me understand how the new policy works here and what I might to expect in my room? We're going to be in our room during The day sometimes." I don't know if they've had issues, but the CM took an immediately defensive and fairly antagonistic stance which kind of blindsided me. I told him multiple times I wasn't questioning the policy change itself but that I just wanted to know some practical stuff, like if I could ask them to come back, etc. He couldn't provide a lot of specific answers, but did tell me it was "it was in my best interest" to answer if they knock. I asked what to do if they knocked while I was in the shower but he wouldn't answer. At one point he said, "I don't know where this line of questioning is going?" I was a little taken aback. I told him I was traveling alone with my 11 YO daughter and I just wanted to know how it worked. Since he emphasized multiple times that it is a change in policy, I don't think it's too much to ask as a guest how it works, especially as it may vary from resort to resort? :confused3 and as it was not mentioned at check in. Sorry for the long post!
That’s terrible. Thanks so much for sharing.

Discontinued which policy, being able to opt out of housekeeping or receiving money for opting out? We opted out, it was nice to have a monetary incentive for doing so. The security check policy doesn't bother us, and we didn't have anyone check on us while we were there a week ago.
Well both really but it sorta makes it look worse when you're offering money to guests to not have housekeeping but making them have a security check because they declined housekeeping.

At the very least make it evident that no housekeeping will mean a check or won't mean a daily check and apply that to everyone not just this guest and not that guest and don't have the worker doing the security check saying "well you declined have housekeeping so now I need to do a security check" as that could make the guest feel like they did something wrong when in reality all they did was take Disney up on their offer.

In other words just be clear and transparent so the guest can make an informed decision.

I think it's moreso an issue because the center of the issue is someone coming daily to check the room. It can have a negative viewpoint on someone when an entity has two policies that contradict each other. On the one hand Disney is using housekeeping as the daily check and on the other hand they are providing an option and incentivizing it further by giving an eGift card if someone declines housekeeping but saying a person needs the room still checked daily.

IMO the above issue could be solved if they stopped using housekeeping at all as the check and instead just had a team of trained security staff doing the quick check if Disney was completely set on having a daily check. Not only would I personally feel better due to training but also all guests would be treated the same. The issue of gift card for declining housekeeping wouldn't be there because it wouldn't matter-all guests would be getting the security check and a guest could still decline housekeeping with certain resorts still getting a bit of extra cash.

*Note I'm not a fan of daily security checks just thinking of a way to keep the policy in place but treats all the guests as the same. Presently the person who chose not to have housekeeping has the added burden of a randomly-timed check or work on scheduling it whereas the person who didn't take Disney up on the offer has a lot less to consider since they'll have housekeeping as normal.

Otherwise IMO Disney should remove the incentive and the option but the $ incentive to me makes it more sour. YMMV of course.

But FWIW I would have loved having extra $$ when we stayed in September but All-Star Sports wasn't doing the gift card at that point.

I hope you noted that CM's name. Those are the kind of things I think should be reported to guest services. There is absolutely no reason for a guest to be made to feel like they can't even ask a question. One of these days, Disney will go too far & the money train from us "guests" will dry up.

Yipes. I feel like a lot of people can roll with the punches you know but geez you gotta know the information in order to do that and it sounds like that's really all you were trying to do was get information.

They must be getting some push back from the guests I'd imagine. I do feel for the CMs as a general note because it's really starting to sound like communication has failed and not everyone is getting the needed information. Regardless professionalism is key and being snippy with you when you've not done a darn thing to get their hackles up is wrong.

I also don't like the comment of "it was in my best interest" to answer the door talk about unsettling coming from a CM given the topic of the conversation.

I hope you noted that CM's name. Those are the kind of things I think should be reported to guest services. There is absolutely no reason for a guest to be made to feel like they can't even ask a question. One of these days, Disney will go too far & the money train from us "guests" will dry up.
I did. The negative tone of the conversation was so unexpected it kind of threw me off, so then I couldn't even remember the few specifics he did give me, nor that I should have mentioned that it would be helpful to let guests know about the policy change at check in - especially as it could be confusing to people opting out of housekeeping.

It is completely unacceptable for this CM to have spoken to you in this way! Part of the reason he is likely so defensive is that he really doesn't have answers and therefore doesn't want to be questioned.

Yipes. I feel like a lot of people can roll with the punches you know but geez you gotta know the information in order to do that and it sounds like that's really all you were trying to do was get information.

They must be getting some push back from the guests I'd imagine. I do feel for the CMs as a general note because it's really starting to sound like communication has failed and not everyone is getting the needed information. Regardless professionalism is key and being snippy with you when you've not done a darn thing to get their hackles up is wrong.

I also don't like the comment of "it was in my best interest" to answer the door talk about unsettling coming from a CM given the topic of the conversation.

I agree on all points. The front desk CMs didn't decide on this policy change or develop it, hence why I was not questioning the policy itself. Regardless of how I might feel about it, that would be misdirected IMO. Again, really just needed a sign and a few practical details, especially as I've never traveled alone with my kid before! But front desk CMs should be aware of the change and be able to explain how it works, and that is all I asked.

I also find that comment unsetting and kind of strange. The whole thing left a bad taste...

One of the main things I'm bothered about, and feel needs to be worked on is those who encounter housekeeping in the hall outside their room and intercept them for whatever reason, and they don't do the cleaning. That seems to trigger some sort of alert, like your asking them not to come in is a red flag, which is ridiculous of course. Yes, I can see how a connection is made from what the guy in Vegas did and a guest asking Housekeeping not to come in that day but I think it's a huge jump to think that same guest is up to something. But the way they are sending someone to these rooms moments after these encounters leads me to think this is triggering alarms. Someone needs to tell them this is needless alarm, knee jerk reaction. Everyone who asks for Housekeeping to come back later or to skip them this one time isn't not up to no good.

I haven't read all of the posts about the security checks, but the ones I have, it's always a lone male security officer asking to enter and check the room. I really feel that a lot of unease about this situation would be relieved if a two person security team, one male and one female, checked the rooms.

The way the OP described how this happenrd, I wouldn't necessarily be relieved by adding a threatening woman into the mix.

How did them being abrasive about doing a security check turn into a concern about sexual assault?

Not saying they can’t be polite about having to check someone’s room but I think you’re being quick to bring the issue of sexual harassment/assault into this.

If it's someone impersonating security, it could very quickly turn into assault. Fact is, impersonating people of authority has happened in the past and could happen in the future.

Maybe people don’t, but if a Disney employee knocked on someone’s door to check the room they could just go to the front desk to ask about it.

This turned into an issue of not being able to nap, to being a woman nervous about being assaulted, to what if I’m having sex or going to the bathroom or have a migraine or whatever. Not sure why everyone on here thinks they should be exempt from this for whatever reason...it’s literally as simple as answering the door and stepping into the hallway!

I’d rather have a minor inconvience in my day than something like what happened in LV.

I think it’s easy to dismiss these things as annoying until it happens to you. Disney is huge and services tons of people, how do we know what goes on behind the scenes? Yes I agree they should establish a protocol for doing these checks and make sure people aren’t frightened but to jump to a million different issues like migraines and nap schedules and I’ll call 911 if an employee tries to come into my room...geez.

If someone is standing in the doorway trying to get in, you may not have the opportunity to step out of the room if they don’t want you to.

Being abruptly disturbed (for any reason other than for an emergency) with someone banging on the door demanding entry is not a minor inconvienence.

Yes, it is easy to dismiss things until they happen to you. Which is why you are dismissing people’s concern with safety from strangers barging into their hotel rooms.

And if I’m not completely sure of who is banging on the door and demanding entry without a real emergency (fire, hurricane, sinkhole, etc.) going on, then I’m 100% calling 911 before opening the door.

People talk about a situation possibly happening when a stranger comes to your door, but it actually happened to my friend. The guys were dressed like cops, pushed past her, tied up the people in the house and robbed them. In a decent neighborhood, during the day.
The last time cops came unexpectedly to my door, I refused to open, and I called the precinct to see if he was legit.

If “security” come to my door in Disney, they better have a way to verify their authority, or I’m calling the police. Bang all you want, yell all you want. I’m unimpressed.

Yes. My personal safety comes before whatever the resort wants. I will not answer the door to strangers. I don't do it at home. Why the heck would I do it at a hotel?

If someone has ill intentions, standing in the doorway won't protect you. Especially, if you are a small woman or child....easily knocked to the ground
Very True. I'm only 4'7" and travel by myself. I don't fear much. But I have anxiety and could panic if someone is demanding entry into my room. I don't answer the door at home if I don't know who it is. Even when my dad is home, I stand back out of sight while he answers the door to make sure they aren't someone with ill intentions.

Some of the incidents are quite disturbing IMHO...totally unacceptable. Knocking incessantly and demanding immediate access without a valid reason for the urgency? Just wow!! I'm also aware of their ability to enter my room at will, however inappropriate (again MO). It might be difficult to answer in a timely fashion, if I'm dressing, sleeping, bathing or having personal time with DH. Can't always hear someone at the door when the bedroom or bathroom door is closed. Let's hope, Disney finds a way to provide "security checks" without being offensive and so intrusive.
If someone comes barging into my room while I’m in bed or in the shower, trust me, there will be issues. This is a violation against me and the entire resort will hear me. And Disney will have something to worry about with me.

I worked at the DRC we don't have a way to connect calls to the resorts.
Which at a hotel/resort is absolutely insane. There should always be an easy way to contact the front desk, housekeeping and security.

Yeah door Jammers are probably fine to defend against the latch bar being bypassed, I seriously doubt it would create an issue as long as you don't barricade your self indefinitely ...if you just use it to stop an initial intrusion not sure where the problem would be.
*I've yet to hear of Disney bypassing the latch but if your concerned about it I would get a door Jammer...they are always good to have no matter where your staying anyway.

May be buying one before my next trip.

Surely everyone who uses disboards knows by now this is going to happen?
I just heard of this today on this thread. Not everyone who uses disboards is on here every day nor in every forum of the boards.

I expect Disney will refine and fine tune the room check policy over time, but in the meantime as we've already read here on this thread, some guests are experiencing less than magical experiences due to the policy. That said, I don't think Disney dreamed this up simply to annoy guests, so it probably isn't going away. As a Disney resort guest, I'd rather spend my time thinking of ways to accommodate the room check policy with a minimal impact to my vacation rather than coming up with ways to blow it up into a major confrontation and time suck. But that's just me, YMMV.
Hopefully they will find some sort of resolution. And many times people can try to accommodate the policy. But, it can't and won't happen every time. I suffer from migraines and severe sinus headaches. Sometimes the symptoms happen suddenly and sometimes they last for several days. They can be very debilitating. So much that sometimes I can't even see straight and any light and most noise can worsen the symptoms and nothing I take or do helps except sleeping in a dark room. Allowing a person into the room to clean for however long is not feasible in those instances.

Exactly. It's threatening and smacks of a police state.

Last edited:
If they want to check, I really do not care. If me or someone in my family is indecent I will open the door, inform them and tell them to hang on while we get dressed, under the covers etc. If I happen to be alone, I'll let them in but call down and ask to speak to security to verify that person is actually security. I refuse to get upset over someone dong their job. I don't see why this is a big deal.

Did you read the original post? Also, are you a single woman?

Last edited:

I just heard of this today on this thread. Not everyone who uses disboards is on here every day nor in every forum of the boards.

It is now part of the Terms and Conditions when you book a room. Which goes to show how important it is to read everything, and not just think you know what your rights are.

Disney is flat our telling you they have the right to come into your room at any time. As of now, the best advice is if that is something you absolutely cannot deal with, then book off site. Things like jamming the door or refusing to let them in may get you more attention than you want. What it won't get you is them leaving you alone.

I want to say I sympathize with the migraine problem. I don't get them often, but when I do they are debilitating. Honestly not sure what I would do if I was alone at a Disney resort and had one. Probably leave the door unlatched and have them let themselves in. Not something everyone would be comfortable with.

Does anyone else think this mess is entirely of WDW Resorts own making & directly connected to Disney Resorts discouraging Mousekeeping from making $ with Towel Animals?

Nutty as it sounds, bear me with me: About 2 yrs ago, word went out that Mousekeeping was no longer allowed to make elaborate towel animals property wide. I heard that WDW Resorts believed it was resulting in inefficiencies and slower room turnover. Mousekeepers were putting in more time building elaborate creations for cash than barreling through the rooms. This had been a guest fav, long standing tradition and a cash perk for housekeeping to help supplement their base wage. I suspect it was much more than a perk but a true incentive to work in housekeeping. Much like food servers depend on tips to make a living wage. I would bet that many left Mousekeeping precisely because of this. While some guests still leave a tip at the end of their stay, more guests left tips throughout their stay to encourage towel animals. I know I did when I traveled with one of my nieces. It was a treat to get back to the room at the end of the day to find a new creation. I tipped at least every other day for that gift. If I add it up, I definitely tipped more for towel animals than now for general service.

When the towel animal tips dried up, Mousekeeping took a hit. I've noticed a decline/delay in when my room is now cleaned and also noticed significantly fewer housekeepers in the hallways. Fewer housekeepers, difficulties retaining trained staff and problems hiring new staff, led to cash opt out of housekeeping. Cash opt out led to loss of daily eyes in the room. When the LV tragedy occurred, a light bulb went off at WDW Resorts that some guests could now go for days without any CM in that room. And here we are with this dilemma.

When WDW Resorts had a strong & happy Mousekeeping Dpt, they had an enviable boots on the ground, practical intel network. Those ladies & gents, saw just about everything on a daily basis. When Resorts gutted Mousekeeping by taking away their ability to be entrepreneurs and supplement their income, they robbed themselves of this strength. And no, housekeeping were never proper security. But they were the first line for information. Resorts undervalued that intel and the strength of their own experienced CMs and now this is the result. I don't know what the answer is now. I would guess WDW Resorts will now have to bring in outside consulting to clean this up. No pun intended.

I just don’t understand why they aren’t informing guests of this new policy upon check-in. When I got to BLT I spent about 20 minutes checking in at the front desk. Not once was this policy brought up. If I wasn’t on this board I would have had no idea it existed. We also didn’t have the off to neverland sign in our room. I don’t normally let housekeeping in the room and was annoyed we didn’t have a wag not to. We never had a free moment to request a sign and I never saw housekeeping to even ask. I wish they’d get rid of this policy.

These threads have lost their trip-planning value and turned into absurd debates/arguments. I’m going to leave one thread open for questions and comments, and post a sticky for actual experiences, as we did with the dog issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter