• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zoo or Safari Park

cherylsan77

Earning My Ears
We are leaving in 3 days and had planned on doing legoland, Sea World and the Zoo with one day to hang out at the beach and check out the city. We could stay longer on the day that we are transferring to Anaheim although we had planned to check out of our hotel in San Diego and then make our way the scenic route and doing some beach hopping up to Anaheim. Should we take the extra day and make sure we also see the Safari Park? Should we skip the Zoo? I am concerned about having every day of this vacation jam packed but I also don't want to miss anything. We are two adults and an 8 year old. Thanks.

I'd wait until the night before your "moving" day and see how you feel -- would you like to sleep later and leisurely make your way to Anaheim, or visit the Safari Park that day? See how your son liked the beach, or what the weather is like.

I believe there are some combo tickets for the zoo/safari park, so see if any of those benefit you. You might find the prices talk you into or out of it too.

Have a great trip!

PHXscuba

I'd say it depends on how much everyone loves animals. The zoo is world-class, but it is a zoo - and there's lots of hilly walking to be done even if you get the bus ticket.
Safari Park on the other hand is pretty unique -- you won't see as many animals close up - no reptile cage if the kids love those (the zoo has a great one) - but it's quite a different experience.

I wouldn't skip the zoo. Both the zoo and Safari Park are really great parks, but if you only have the time (or energy) for one, do the zoo. We have a LOT more animals and more variety. We have all the icons, including many that are not at the Safari Park. For example, you won't see pandas, polar bears, or koalas at the Safari Park. We also have several new exhibits that have opened in the last few years including Elephant Odyssey, Polar Bear Plunge, Panda Trek, and Aussie Outback, and just last week we opened the Tasmanian Devil exhibit and are now the ONLY zoo in the country to have Tasmanian Devils. BOTH the Safari Park and the zoo are incredibly large with a lot of hills so I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. Parking at the zoo is free but parking at the SP is $10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter