Ziplock packing

We use the ziplock method during the summer season (shorts, tees weather) and not when we are packing pants and sweaters like March break. I put one pair of shorts in with two tees that co-ordinate with those shorts plus a pair of socks and underwear.

Ok, so what about wrinkles? Is it an issue? I suppose not more so than regular packing?

I've never had a problem with wrinkles and I have packed the kids clothes several months :blush: in advance. I just make sure they're folded neatly when I put them into the bag. I also don't go crazy with squeezing the air out. I use the bags to keep everything organized, not to save space.

I normally roll our clothes - in fact the last few trips I have rolled lots of clothes together eg all DH trousers together, all t-shirts etc. You hardly get any wrinkles doing it that way, particularly the clothes on the outside. The items of clothing on the inside I generally choose to be ones that don't wrinkle or don't matter if they do.

Obviously this year I will not be doing it quite the same as normal, although I will still do this with DH and my own clothes. With the kids I will be doing the ziplock method (hence starting this thread!) but I will probably roll the clothes together in the bag - shorts on the inside as they don't matter to much if they have a few wrinkles.

I also go with attitude of not caring about a few wrinkles - after all, I am on holiday! Actually, I have that attitude at home as well - I buy wrinkle free clothing for DH work and for the kids school uniforms. What with that, and folding clothes straight out of the tumble dryer, my youngest DS cannot even recognise what an iron is!!

Ok, so what about wrinkles? Is it an issue? I suppose not more so than regular packing?

That's why I always travel with a bottle of Wrinkle Release spray (I think it's Downy.) A few quick sprays - shake the garmet a couple times and it's ready to go - wrinkles gone. Don't like to travel without that stuff!

I packed my DD's bag last night! I used a combination of Quart and Gallon sized bags for her clothes. Shes only 3 so her clothes actually fit in these bags. For DH and myself I found 2 1/2 gallon bags and we are gonna try those. I love the organized packing....I like getting all I can get in the space I have and carrying less. I will keep you posted on the 2 1/2 gallon bags for adult clothes. 20 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana::cool1::cheer2::yay::yay::yay::yay:

For the kids, I am totally going to use this method and I am doing laundry (maybe a load every second day). I was just going to save the ziplocs and put the clothes back in them (shorts, tee, socks undies) as they come out of the dryer.

For DH and I, we do the same thing on vacation that we do at home. When we put on our pajamas at night, we set out our clothes (down to socks and undies) for the next day. Saves lots of time (and surprises) in the morning and gets us out the door faster.

We do this for the kids, as well. Means I don't have to wait the 20 minutes in the morning for DD to decide what to wear.

Great idea. im taking my nieces to disney. i will make my sister pack each outfit in a ziplock before we go that way we don't have any miscommunication about our clothing selection in the morning and my sister wont ask me later why i would possibly let them wear those shorts with that paticular top. lol

We have used this system for years now, and it's great! We've used it for Europe several times, visiting family, WDW and a Disney cruise.

When DD was younger, I packed a full outfit in each bag. For DH and myself, I'd pack the clothes by group: socks and underwear; t-shirts; long-sleeve shirts, etc. Now I've adapted her system to ours.

One of the benefits of this system, which I don't think others have raised yet, is that you can easily find something in a suitcase or duffel. You're not having to unpack and repack when someone says: "but I need that in my carry on!"

And also as to wrinkles, I've found that if you're a bit anal with the packing in the bag in the first place, there are next to none on the other end. All of DH's formal gear came out looking spiffy on the cruise, even though it had sat in the bag for more than 48 hours.

Once we come home, I empty everything beside the washer. And the bags go right back into the suitcases, ready for the next trip!

What the heck is the ziplock method? :lmao:
I had a ziplock bag that everyday I would put an extra outfit in for DD and bring it to the parks so she always had a clean, dry outfit, but thats not the "method" is it haha.

No, the "method " we are discussing, is where you pack a complete outfit, for each kid, for one day, into one ziplock bag. The idea is that you can throw that into the suitcase, grab it out when unpacking and throw it into a drawer. Each morning you can then just grab a bag and you are instantly sorted and not having to worry about what goes with what, and avoid having disagreements with kids over what to wear, because you have already pre agreed it. Another benefit, you can be sure your DH can get them dressed without you having to redress them before going out the door ;)

I bought bags big enough to put outfits w/underwear, socks, etc.. so all the kids had to do is pull out the bag with their name on it. I also bought some of the real big ziplock bags which were great for putting my comforter, pillow, & sheet in, it was a nice size with a handle. I also had extra to put the dirty clothes in. i would just seperate the clothes i didnt get to wear and put the bag back in my suitcase with the stuff i wore to save space so it didnt interfere with the clean clothes.
I will probably do the same this year as it saves alot of time and aggravation. You can then reuse the same bags next time since the bags arent dirty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter