Ziplock packing question

I love the zippy bag idea and have been using it to send an extra change of clothes with DD to pre-school. When I put the clothes in, I sit on it to squeez all the air out and zip it up, and it's really thin, but at the end of the day it's all pooffy again. :confused3 Is that suppose to happen? :confused:

If it poofed back up then you have a leak in the bag. And no, it should remain flat. ;)

We did this with DD's clothes last year on our trip and it worked out great. While we were getting ourselves ready we told her to go grab a baggie and get dressed. Even after doing laundry mid-week, we put them back in the ziploc.

This is a hint I found on this board 7 years ago and have used on many trips in that time....and one I have passed on to my Cub Scout parents when it comes time to get their precious bundles ready for their first trip to sleep-a-way camp. Ziplocs.....not just for food anymore...lol

Even though Carl's clothes are too big to go in a ziploc, we still use them to put underwear and socks in....keeps them together (and clean & dry coming back, unworn from camp). I'd like to try the space bags for grownup sized clothes.

Ziploc makes 2 gallon bags, as well as the oversized ones with handles (good for toting stuff to the pool or dirty laundry). I use the 2 gal bags for DH and I to put our clothes in, DS's stuff still fits in the gal size. I've always packed all toiletries in ziplocs, but about 10 years ago I realized I need to start packing our clothes/shoes/anything not waterproof in ziplocs as well. We were delayed on a layover in Atlanta due to a thunderstorm. Apparently our suitcases had either been sitting on the tarmac in the rain or on the luggage carts with the rain being blown on them for a LONG time. By the time we got to CA (at midnight!) and opened our bags, we found most of our stuff was really wet, including the outside of the suitcase. It didn't smell like anything, so I'm pretty sure it was just from the horrible storm. Needless to say our clothes were super wrinkled, and some of our photos got wet too. From that day on, it's been ziplocs for me ;) . DH couldn't be bothered though :confused3 .

I keep DD clothes packed this way all year long in her dresser. I started doing it when she was a few months old. It made dressing her & packing the diaper bag easier for DH (he is color blind) I mark them so I can tell if it is shorts, skirts or long pants in the bag. It usually takes 3m or so to get an odor of plastic. I will use fabreeze if needed.

I buy the 1 gallon bags for her and the 2 or 2.5 gallon ones for our clothes. I can find the store brand bags in both sizes. I think Target had them also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter