Ziplock packing question

JJ&JSMOM

DIS Veteran
We leave in May for WDW and I've been buying and storing clothes, etc for months now. I wanted to try packing the kids' clothes in ziplocks...just curious when you folks start putting them in the bags. I don't want to do it too soon as I'm afraid they'll smell like plastic... I also thought about cutting up a dryer sheet and putting a little piece in each bag. Maybe I should wait until a week prior.

Thanks for any tips!
Joanne

I did this last year. Let me first say, it was the best packing tip ever. No morning chaos, etc.
I packed about 2 weeks before we left and I had no problems with their clothes having a plastic order. I just bought a cheap-o box of reseable storage bags from Dollar Tree, and not "Ziploc" brand.
Also, the empty bags came in handy for wet bathing suits, etc.

Have a great trip! :pixiedust:

I have done the ziplocs before and it is a great tip. I do usually put the dryer sheets in with them. On my last trip I tried something different. I hung everyone's clothes in outfits--top and bottom on one hanger. I did this for everyone for every day. Everyone got their own suitcase as this takes a little more space. However when I got there I just pulled them all out of the suitcase and hung them up. Each day everyone had their clothes already in outfits. I safety pinned the socks and undies to the top. When I unhooked the socks and undies I pinned the safety pin back to the waste of the shorts. Unpacking was a BREEZE. Plus everyone had a safety pin throughout the day if they needed one. The pins came in very handy.I was worried my youngest would play with her pin so I simply pinned it to the backpack. When one was needed there was no rummaging through the pack--there was always one handy! I did put two outfits (my least favorites for each child in baggies. I then threw those in the backpack for when we might need a change--like after Kali!

When it came time to come home. I put the clothes in the case without hanging them. This gave more room and everyone had room in their own suitcase for their souveniers too. In fact, I had used cheap wire hangers so I left them behind and had lots of room even for the stuffed animals that we bought.

You could start now and have no problems with rinkels esply if you roll the clothes and then pack them in the bag:love:

Im a little out of the loop, but this seems like a good idea. What exactly is the ziplock idea, do you put a days worth of clothes into one bag?

This is one of the best tricks ever. You pre-match outfits for each day (I add a couple of just in case outfits for things like cold day, wet days, etc). I don't just do it for the kids, I do it for the adults too.

Each morning, the kids can pick a bag. No fighting over what matches what, you've taken care of that at home. Also, you can put the dirty clothes back into the ziplocs and throw them back into the suitcase to go home. Or, my new trick, is that you put a giant ziplock in the bag for dirty clothes and use the used ziplocks to tranport wet cloths, used sippy cups, throw away poop diapers, etc...

Don't the clothes get wrinkled in the baggies? Also, does rolling the clothes also prevent wrinkles? Seems when I've tried rolling them, they looked as if they would wrinkle more than just lying them flat in the suitcase.

(my least favorites for each child in baggies. I then threw those in the backpack for when we might need a change--like after Kali!

Okay...now I know I've read too many threads. When I read this I thought you said that you put your least favorite child in a baggie. :scared1:

I love the ziplock thing. I have packed this way for many many military trips. Oh and Disney trips as well. Infact we pack that way for any trip.
I start to pack a few weeks before with the day of clothing in a bag. And yes, I also use the bags for other things when we get there. Love it!!!

We did this when we went to China. I rolled all of the clothes I was taking for our dd and put them in ziplocs. It was great. Her clothes weren't wrinkled. Actually I put everything (like shampoos, etc.) in ziplocs so they wouldn't leak too.

I did this on our WDW trip last August- it was fantastic. My DH could dress our 1 year old without my help and my DD didn't have to think. It made mornings very easy. I started putting them in ziplocs 2 weeks prior and I had no problems with smell or wrinkles.

Any ideas where to get bigger than a gallon zip bags? I would love to do all our clothes this way, but I don't think I can stuff my clothes into a gallon bag.:rotfl:

Any ideas where to get bigger than a gallon zip bags? I would love to do all our clothes this way, but I don't think I can stuff my clothes into a gallon bag.:rotfl:

Most larger Target stores carry the larger ziploc bags. I am sure other places sell them too, but I have always gotten mine at a Target that is one town over from me. Our local Target is small and doesn't carry as much.

The way we have been doing it is on the last load of laundry before we leave, we put our outfits together and then one of the kids sits on the bag and I zip it shut. I should mention that our trips lately have all been in the summer so we are still wearing the clothes we are taking up until the last minute! Last year we were just starting to pack the morning of our afternoon flight!

Thanks for the replies. We are getting very excited for our trip in May so we are just itching to do some packing.

When my kids were younger we did the ziploc clothes trick too. I really helped because then my husband could get the kid's outfits. Otherwise I heard him saying "Beth, what top goes with these shorts for Soph?" everyday.

I love the zippy bag idea and have been using it to send an extra change of clothes with DD to pre-school. When I put the clothes in, I sit on it to squeez all the air out and zip it up, and it's really thin, but at the end of the day it's all pooffy again. :confused3 Is that suppose to happen? :confused:

I am definitely going to try this on our next trip! Has anyone tried spacebags? I heard those work great too and was thinking of buying some...

I hope we don't get wrinkles because I have already packed our clothes in Zip Lock bags. As a matter of fact, I packed them last week! Our trip is early May. :laughing: I bought Wrinkle Rid to take with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter