ZipLoc Bag Packing Method?

I buy ziplocks by the case. I usually get freezer gallon bags...you can write on them with a sharpie. I don't always put each outfit in the same bag because I often use the ziplocks for dirty diapers (I have issues with just throwing a dirty diaper, espcially a poopie one away without being sealed into a ziplock). I also use thim for putting sippy cups in...clean in one direction and dirty in the other.

ekball said:
I'm seriously considering packing this way for the kiddos for our trip (love organization and this is the ultimate!!!), however I have a question (and please don't laugh or think I'm nuts :rolleyes: ).....

Do the clothes smell funny after being packed in the baggies?? I can't help but think they will smell.....plastic-y?? Love the idea of being organized and the idea of saving time by packing this way, but I don't want my kids to smell like a plastic bag. :rotfl:

OK - enjoy a laugh at my expense! :thumbsup2

Don't think you are crazy at all. I have read some on these boards that have packed so far in advance, they have inserted a dryer sheet in each bag to keep the clothes smelling good.

I started packing like this and it is great! DD's cotumes are nice and flat. Her outfits are all nice and bagged. I squished all the air out of the bags so they are nice and flat. I even used the 2 gallon size for me and DS. I only have DH's shirts left to pack. I am trying to stick with one big suitcase and one small one for our offsite first night. The big case is pretty full so I emptied the small one, rolled up 5 pairs of his shorts and packed the other Ziplocs on top of them. I hope they stay nice all rolled up. If his shirts don't fit in the large suitcase, I may try rolling them too.

Thanks for all the tips!!

We pack like this for Girl Scouts, too. It might not even be raining, but there may be condensation when we camp so it is wonderful for keeping our stuff dry.

I have also used those travel space bags, but I have found the Ziploc bags to be more efficient.

No, it's not crazy. :thumbsup2

This sounds like a great idea! We aren't going until November 18, so I may pack up the kids clothes as we transition from summer clothes into fall clothers. I was a bit worried about the "plastic" smell, so I may try the dryer sheet trick too!

OH THIS IS A LIFE SAVER! My DH's that is. lol. I have a tendancy to pack certain outfits for the kids for certain days. (ie a pooh outfit when we are dining at Crystal Palace, a Chef Mickey's shirt I made (check out the Creative DISigns board) for the evening we are eating at CM's, etc.)
I make labels for each bag.
NAME
DAY
EVENT (what we are doing, park, dining, etc)

This way when DH is getting DD or DS dressed, he get's a little schedule to go with it lol.
When we get there, I unpack each kid into a drawer in chronological order.

ETA: I pack them in the bags fresh out of the dryer so they smell nice and fresh!

Here's what I use zipper bags for:
1. Large size: For shampoo, sunscreen, hairspray - anything that could leak in my suitcase
2. XXL size: I hang this on the bathroom door as a dirty clothes hamper
3. Gallon size: I put one clean outfit in this and put it in DS's carry-on... just in case. Here's why... I was on a flight once (pre-kids) and a little girl threw up all over the place. As they sat in the terminal waiting for their connecting flight, she was full of puke and only covered up with a blanket from the plane. The poor thing! There is nothing worse than not feeling good and sitting in gross clothes! Now, if this happens to my kid - GOD FOBID - we'll beat a hasty retreat to the bathroom, peel off his gross clothes, dress him in a clean outfit and seal up the barf clothes.
4. Gallon size: I put one dry outfit in this and take it to the parks. Last year he discovered Donald's Boat and got soaked. The year before he dripped a popsicle all over his shirt and shorts. Both times I was able to put him in a dry/clean outfit and seal up the wet/sticky one.
I'll admit it... I am addicted to zipper bags. :blush:

we pack with zip loc all the time. One bag for lotions, gels etc. One for socks & undies, one for shirts, and another for shorts. It just keeps everything neat. and easy to find
:wizard:

So I put my freshly laundered and ironed clothes in a ziploc and they come out of the bag ready to wear? I don't have to iron again?

Love the Ziploc bag packing! It makes life soo much easier for everyone on the trip also. We always bring the empty bags home to re~use as well;)

I used a "ton" of ziploc bags for this past trip. I used it to make sure that my liquids didn't leak all over everything. Put shampoo and conditioner in one bag, and then put it in another bag...."just in case" Good idea, since my bottle of body spray leaked. Leak was contained within the bags. :cool1:
Then for the trip back home, they hold park maps, menus, stickers, whatever else we might pick up along the way.
Makes the unpacking way easier, rather than the shove it any old place method I used to use.

We have never used the Ziploc bags to put our clothes in but we do use them to pack shampoo bottles and other liquid in. We went on vacation one time and the shampoo busted all over everything. I do however have a tip just slightly off topic sorta. Go to walmart to the luggage department. They have those space bags that they were selling a few years ago in the infomercials. They have a box of 2 that are a little larger than the gallon sized ziploc bags and cost about $4. these are the ones with the advanced sealing system that does not require the vacumn cleaner to seal them.They are guaranteed water proof. We throw our camera,cell phones, and anything we want to stay dry in them and and throw them in a regular packback and pretty much do whatever and everything stays dry. We can never find a waterproof back pack that dosen't weigh 100 pounds. You could probably use the larger space bags to put your clothes in and they would stay nice and neat . They make the large ones now with a little handle that you roll over the edges and it pushes the air out just like the vacumn sucks it out that way you could use it on the way back. Anyway have an awesome trip which ever way you choose.... :goodvibes

I've been packing for our trip! We leave Sat! :cool1:
My kids are 2(the day after our trip! ;) ) & 4 and I'm able to put two shirts, two shorts/skirts, & socks in one gallon bag. Night clothes and panties go in separate bags. I don't pack my clothes in them, but I do use them for a million other things.

We did this for our first trip to WDW (last week!) It was a lifesaver. All the kids looked pretty well put together and I didn't have to stress about it at all!

DH laughed as I was packing...but he wasn't laughing as all the kids (3, 5, 7, 9) got themselves dressed in the mornings! He was stunned! I could take a shower in the morning and not worry about what he was dressing the kids in! LOL! Every one of the kids had a bag for every day. I even marked some bags for certain days. (eg. Sept 11 we all had very patriotic outfits on!)

My sister is using this idea as well. I am sharing my leftoverbags with her! This is fantastic for little kids! I only wish I had enough outfits for myself to do this, too!

sully7 said:
My sister is using this idea as well. I am sharing my leftoverbags with her! This is fantastic for little kids! I only wish I had enough outfits for myself to do this, too!
lol. I guess this is the reason I don't pack myself this way, I don't have enough clothes! lol. Welll, at least casual clothes. I have work clothes and Sloppy clothes. But I only have 2 pair of shorts and 2 pair of casual capris! :rotfl: I'll be rewearing and/or doing laundry!

sukhakuli said:
What do you do with the bags afterwards? We try not to throw stuff away as much as possible. QUOTE]
We packed this way when DS was still in diapers and we used them to dispose of the diapers. Threw some in the diaper bag and used them in the hotel to prevent the odor! It worked out great!

:thumbsup2 we used ziplock bags and I found those space packing bags on the markdown at wal-mart, this was great and we all packed this way! on the way home we just repacked, dirty bags and bags with the clean stuff!!!!! then just save the bags for your next trip! :smooth:

I use gallon size Ziplocs for my DD's clothes too! Last trip we only had one DD, DD#2 was on the way princess: So for this next trip (just 15 days away) I tried putting both DDs' clothes for the day in one bag. It WORKED!! :banana: 2 shirts, 2 shorts, panties, pull-up, 2 pr of socks in one gallon bag. This is the coolest because I like for my DD's to coordinate for pictures :thumbsup2 Now I can pack one bag for each day and then pack a couple of extra bags with extra outfits....

Now if only I too had enough clothes to do this...... Shopping is it????

Mommyto2Princesses said:
I use gallon size Ziplocs for my DD's clothes too! Last trip we only had one DD, DD#2 was on the way princess: So for this next trip (just 15 days away) I tried putting both DDs' clothes for the day in one bag. It WORKED!! :banana: 2 shirts, 2 shorts, panties, pull-up, 2 pr of socks in one gallon bag. This is the coolest because I like for my DD's to coordinate for pictures :thumbsup2 Now I can pack one bag for each day and then pack a couple of extra bags with extra outfits....

Now if only I too had enough clothes to do this...... Shopping is it????
lol. Sounds exactly like me! Except my younger is a DS. I still like them to coordinate them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter