Zika mosquito virus

disneydeal

Go to Disney every other year.
By summertime the Zika virus could be spreading thru Orlando. Who's worried?

Last edited:
I'm really surprised my area of Texas isn't worse than moderate. We have so many mosquitos that you inhale them if you walk outside on a summer night. I'm definitely planning on taking some serious preventative measures at our house to try to keep them at bay... we already have to worry about West Nile here, we didn't need Zika, too!

I'm really surprised my area of Texas isn't worse than moderate. We have so many mosquitos that you inhale them if you walk outside on a summer night. I'm definitely planning on taking some serious preventative measures at our house to try to keep them at bay... we already have to worry about West Nile here, we didn't need Zika, too!
Here in KC we get mosquitoes bad plus we had a mild winter and actually had mosquitoes out a few weeks ago. Way early for them. Got bit a few times.

Here in KC we get mosquitoes bad plus we had a mild winter and actually had mosquitoes out a few weeks ago. Way early for them. Got bit a few times.

I feel your pain, we always joke that the Mosquito is the State Bird of Texas! lol I've been bitten a few times as well, and Zika is definitely in the back of my mind every time, as well as West Nile... scary stuff! I'm much more worried about my family members that are pregnant than I am about myself, though!

View attachment 157238 By summertime the Zika virus will be spreading thru Orlando. Who's freaking out about this?

The map on your post is not of the spread of Zika. It is the number of people arriving from countries affected by Zika (see map key at the bottom left). That needs to be clarified, otherwise misinformation is being spread.

Edit: I see you've since taken the map off your original post. I think that was the responsible thing to do.:thumbsup2

Last edited:
That map is not of the spread of Zika. It is the number of people arriving from countries affected by Zika (see map key at the bottom left). That needs to be clarified, otherwise misinformation is being spread.

Last edited:
Ok

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-19-22-39-26.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-19-22-39-26.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

By summertime the Zika virus could be spreading thru Orlando. Who's worried?

Did I say the map was the spread of Zika?

Um, yes you did. Look at your first post.

No, I'm not worried. WDW has quite a mosquito prevention operation going on. Unless you are planning on getting pregnant or impregnating someone, Zika really isn't that big of a deal. Even then, there is still no definitive link between zika and microcephaly.

Um, yes you did. Look at your first post.

No, I'm not worried. WDW has quite a mosquito prevention operation going on. Unless you are planning on getting pregnant or impregnating someone, Zika really isn't that big of a deal. Even then, there is still no definitive link between zika and microcephaly.
Thanks for your opinion

Last edited:
There's absolutely no need to be more worried about Zika than any other similar disease someone could be bringing to Orlando.
Zika, dengue and yellow fever are transmitted by a special type of mosquito, the aedes mosquito. It is true that there are Aedes mosquitoes in florida. So in theory if someone from some other part of the world brings either Zika, Dengue or Yellow fever
there could be transmission. The chances are very small.
There's a lot more Dengue than there is Zika in exactly the same places. Zika is only dangerous to pregnant women. Dengue can make anyone sick.
So if you have not been worried abut getting Dengue in Orlando from someone coming from some place else for the last 10 years, then you shouldn't be worried about Zika now. The Media is blowing this Zika thing out of proportion.

Being I'm a guy I'm not planning on getting pregnant. I'm so glad your not worried about the virus.
the pp did say or impregnating someone. I presume that if you impregnated someone and they caught Zika you would be concerned. Although barring that occurrence, I would worry more about norovirus or even the flu

My understanding is that the specific mosquito that carries Zika is not the same type of mosquito that we have in the continental US.

Personally, I'm not worried about it at all. I have seen the fears of these outbreaks before over the years (West Nile, SARS, etc). People often get panicky. And the media does not help much. We take precautions when going anywhere (even just outside) because of other issues you can get from mosquitoes, but I don't worry about any particular illness.

I have a 22 year old dd so yes, it is something I think about and I think she needs to spray on the bug spray/deet, etc. before she leaves
the house. We live in NY so it is still chilly but as the weather changes, she will have to make some changes. She will still be in school
the next three years and I sure hope she doesn't get pregnant but I do not know what the lasting side effects and how long it stays in your system yet.

Officials met last week to discuss whether to advise women in U.S. Zika prone states not to get pregnant during mosquito months. The vaccine might not be ready for 2 years. I thought it was wild when El Salvador advised their citizens not to get pregnant for 2 years, but it looks like that advice might be coming to the US soon, and the Zika bearing mosquitoes can range all the way to NYC. How would that affect areas to not have kids or many kids for two years? Crazy idea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/15/health/zika-virus-pregnancy-delay-birth-defects-cdc.html?_r=0

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter