Zero excitement about this Disney trip

PGHDisneyfan

Im a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk
Out of the 7 or 8 times we've gone to Disney, this is the first time I am completely disinterested. We leave this Friday and I haven't even put all my stuff together. Im not sure if Im just being sour grapes over all the construction, the price increases or the crummy weather they are predicting but I wouldn't care at all if we canceled the whole thing. I think the only reason I said ok to going was for the kids, for some reason its losing its luster a bit. Our trip doesn't cost all that much since I travel for work and have points for hotel and airline miles but Im thinking this will be our last one for a while.
I feel bad for the kids sake since I like to get them wound up with marking the calendar and helping them save some money, I mail them post card from Mickey but this year I didn't do any of that and its too late now. My 7 year old likes to talk about all the things we can do but I just cant get my head into it for some reason. I don't want to be a spoiler for any of my family. Anyone ever felt like that? Any suggestions?

We go every year and I do find that it takes me until a lot closer to the trip to get excited about it. I used to get excited and pack 45 days out, LOL!! Now, we are 10 days out and I haven't even started....and we are traveling with an infant this time!!! It's not that I'm not excited, because I know it will be such a good time and we will have fun once there, but I think just going so often makes it as exciting as going to the grocery store. :)

That being said, we have already decided that we are going to take 2016 off simply because our little guy will just be starting to walk and we'd like to avoid bring a newly walking toddler to Disney....you know, one that will want to get out and walk when it's totally not convenient...so I am looking forward to our 2017 trip and I'm sure I'll be foaming at the mouth for that one because it will have been 2 years between trips!! :scared:

But, try to be positive. Sometimes a negative attitude becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I feel the same way. Last year I was SO excited to make our resort reservations and look at everything at each resort (we had 2 split stays). I was even more excited to plan all of the dining, BBB, PL, etc. Then I was excited about all of the FP reservations. This time, NONE of that. I'm okay with where we are staying, but haven't done much more than booking the rooms. The only dining I'm even a little excited about is Teppan Edo (we've never tried it) and the Star Wars meals...and I have other coveted reservations too, just don't really care about them. When I went to make FP reservations, it felt like I was just making the same ones over and over because that is all my kids will be interested in. I also have to add in that even after not being that excited initially, I was okay with everything until I had to spend over 5 hours on the phone with tech support over an issue their system caused and it deleted ALL of my previous magic bands (all of them were decorated by myself, so its not like I can just get another one the same).

I am more than glad we are not going to WDW next year! This year, I'm still at a loss as to what I can do to help me feel better about the situation. I'm already down to about 15 minutes of DIS a day because that helps get rid of a lot of negativity (though I still need to make sure Disney isn't changing anything else on me before we go). Other than that, I keep trying to figure out other things that we can do while we are there that may help improve my mood, try things we've never tried, etc. Open to hearing any other suggestions, though, as I could definitely use them!!

Out of the 7 or 8 times we've gone to Disney, this is the first time I am completely disinterested. We leave this Friday and I haven't even put all my stuff together. Im not sure if Im just being sour grapes over all the construction, the price increases or the crummy weather they are predicting but I wouldn't care at all if we canceled the whole thing. I think the only reason I said ok to going was for the kids, for some reason its losing its luster a bit. Our trip doesn't cost all that much since I travel for work and have points for hotel and airline miles but Im thinking this will be our last one for a while.
I feel bad for the kids sake since I like to get them wound up with marking the calendar and helping them save some money, I mail them post card from Mickey but this year I didn't do any of that and its too late now. My 7 year old likes to talk about all the things we can do but I just cant get my head into it for some reason. I don't want to be a spoiler for any of my family. Anyone ever felt like that? Any suggestions?

Yep! Understand just how you feel. We have been going to Disney for 'years', but the last few trips and especially the one we had a few weeks ago were kind of blah!

Don't get me wrong - we did enjoy them, it's just that it has sort of lost its 'wow' factor to us. They have made so many changes that are just not something that we enjoy, so after this next trip (winter) to use our AP one more time, we are not planning any more trips in the near future. Lots of other places that we want to go to more - with less $$$'s and less stress.

So, yes, my suggestion is to take a break from Disney and enjoy other places - we live in a great country with lots of places to vacation.

Don't feel too bad. I turned down a visit with my mother to Disneyland recently. I was totally excited to go, then something "snapped" inside me and I freaked. She lives in Chicago and I'm in Florida. We were setting up flight times, expenses, rides - everything. She had paid for a room for me, husband, DS, SiL, Brother and herself at the Disneyland Hotel, she was going to get salute to the troops tickets, she was running the Avengers marathon, it's Disneyland's anniversary and BAM - I snapped. Started crying, getting upset, feeling blah, stressed, upset...I couldn't go with. Didn't want to go. My mom saw my frustration, and told me it was OK, I didn't have to go. She was very sweet and kind about it, and was ok with the whole thing. I instantly felt better!

We had a loss in our family, and maybe that contributed to it, and flying across the country also probably contributed to it. My son isn't tall enough yet to Radiator Springs Racers and my SiL is pregnant, so she and my brother are staying home. It was like everything bottomed out at once. I felt so terrible - mainly because it was going to be such an AWESOME trip - total luxury! And I LOVE the Disneyland Hotel and Disneyland in general. It's so very very different than WDW. So personal and sweet. And their DTD kicks ours in the butt. It's like a really cool outdoor shopping mall - in the best way possible.

My advice - if you don't feel like going, it's OK, don't feel guilty. Next year take a break. Go to Disneyworld. Or don't. I loved going to Washington D.C. I also love my real hometown, Chicago.

And it's OK not to go to Disney. Or even do Disney differently. Some ideas:
Go to AKL. They have the savannah and they also have cute kids activities there. When we went to Boma to eat, they had a kids drum circle and my DS joined in.
Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club is really good. You have to get a reservation to eat, but they do have takeout ice cream.
Boardwalk has a nice craft brewery there (red river brewery). Their cheese soup is (according to my DH) better than Canada and 1/2 the price.
Pony and horse trail rides at Fort Wilderness are very fun. The horses there are "bomb proof" and it's a fun little thing to do.
Zip boats at the monorail resorts are lots of fun.
Fireworks cruises
Just plain riding the monorail is great. You can stop at each resort, check it out, maybe get a drink and get back on the 'rail. (tip: look for the 5 legged goat on the Contemporary mural.
Speaking of: go to the top of the Contemporary Resort! It's a great view!

Hope some of that helps. If not, feel free to PM me: after all, I will be at WDW tomorrow! :)

I would definitely look into new experiences at Disney. They offer so much, so it will be easy to reinvigorate your trip.

What is your touring style? I you are rope droppers, maybe relax this trip. Spend the mornings at the resort, do some exploring. Try the various activities offered at Fort wilderness, take a arrive ride down the boardwalk, fish at Port orleans. Have lunch at a non park restaurant. Swim in the pool.

Hit the parks in the evening and close them down.

If you're not rope droppers, then try it for a trip.

Schedule a wishes cruise. Watch more shows, do fewer rides. Take a tour. Try the drawing class at HS. Have a contest to see who can take the funniest/happiest/strangest/most Disneyfied photo, etc. during the trip each day, look through the previous day's photos and determine the winners during breakfast each morning. Ride rides you have previously written off as not for you.

Doing the same trip, the same rides, eating at the same places, seeing the same shows, would get old quickly. But changing it up, and having a plan for the changes, could give you something to look forward to.

You could even skip a park day and drive over to Cocoa Beach for a day of sun and waves. That might help you feel like you've gotten a vacation for yourself too!

Hey All thanks so much for your ideas and reply's! I think part of it for me and my wife is that Disney used to be very special and personal for us and the kids. In the past the crowds weren't as rough and you didn't have to plan every last aspect of the trip to the tiniest detail. Im working from home today trying to get motivated to put all the clothes weve washed in our suitcases and go over the planning list again to make sure we have what we need. I wrote down a bunch of ideas that you all suggested they were all so good!! I hope by the time I get on the plane tomorrow this dark cloud will be gone and we can relive some of the old magic we enjoyed in the past!! Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments!!

Oh yea. Completely know where you are coming from. We go all winter since it's too hot in the summer to go and we have a lot of out of country visitors come and they always want to go to Disney. I think since December, we have been to Disney about 7 times. We are going one more time next week and that's it. Going just because my wife's family is coming and the kids have been talking about going to Disney since last year. Thankfully we are doing a vip tour. I may just hang back at the resort and float in the pool.

I think I'm close to being done with WDW vacations for awhile...depending somewhat on how this next trip goes. Although, I am very, very excited for the next trip and am hoping we are not disappointed!!

Our first trip at the end of January 2007 was amazing! It was just my DH and myself. I booked a few weeks out with AAA and they basically booked the hotel for me - WL. I didn't stress about anything because it was really my first adult visit to WDW and my DH's first trip ever. I grew up in Orlando so went to the parks all the time as a kid but we never stayed onsite. There were zero crowds, the weather was perfect, and like I said...we barely planned!

Then in 2009 I went with my parents and an 8 year old. We went at Christmas and my dad had to be hospitalized so I can't really judge this trip.

Then I always heard that September was the best time to go for crowds so my parents and I headed there in 2011. It was so hot and crowded. It was definitely not 'low crowds' by our standards. We stayed POFQ and liked it but the overall feel was just rushed and crowded.

So then I booked another trip for myself and DH for the last week of January staying CL at AKL and was so excited! I planned and planned and had the best ADRs...and then we got there and the hotel was nice and we had great food but the parks were ridiculously crowded and to the point we couldn't even enjoy walking around. I think the total number of people wasn't horrible but it was mainly tour groups so they traveled in packs and we could not get away from them no matter where we went. I told my DH that if we can't ever find a truly low season anymore and the prices keep going up we may be done with WDW.

But...then I got the itch this year!! We are trying the week before Thanksgiving...it's my birthday week and crowd calendars say it should be slow. We have saved up to try the GF and we are spending 3 full days outside the parks. So I am really excited but have this little voice in the back of my head that with the crowds and cost maybe we should try somewhere else...but I have to give November a try and GF!! Then if we leave and the luster has worn off...then it will be a long break before we visit Orlando!!

I like some of the suggestions on here about trying new activities - see if there's a tour you'd like, try the fishing excursions or walk around a new resort, go to Cocoa Beach or even (gasp!!) Universal!! I bet you'll get there and have a blast! Come back and let us know when you return!!

I wonder if the down feelings come from the fact that it seems Disney is an obsessive vacation. We disers tend to plan months in advance, think through all the days, plan for all kinds of weather, dinner reservations, prefabricated moments of joy, etc. It is exhausting as any obsessive habit would be. :crazy2: It adds to the joy of Disneyworld but it also adds to the stress. Then on top of that OP you probably have a full time job that brings about some stress as well. Vacations should be relaxing or enjoyable or both and when they start to feel overwhelming then why would we look forward to them. I agree with the above posters maybe this time relax and just enjoy whatever comes. It isn't a restful vacation but it is a fun one. This will be our last because I obsess over it too much. It consumes a portion of my everyday unlike other vacations so for me I am super excited to go to this one but will be great with visiting all the other sites our great country offers. I wish you a wonderful vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter