Zeka virus?

Just my take, I'd say no. I think the whole thing was overhyped as many things are. We took a trip this may at the height of the panic and when the mosquitos would be out in force. Only time I was bit (quite a bit actually) was on the AKL balcony. My wife was 5 months pregnant and she took precautions with bug spray. Didn't get bit once. So I actually followed the panic in the news quite closely. We did cancel our scheduled DCL Bahamian cruise for that week though. I think by Christmas you will be fine. Just wear bug spray just in case. They are actually giving it out free at stations around the park now.

I'm no expert on Zika, but you won't see many if any mosquitos at WDW in December.

We've been vacationing in Orlando for 2 weeks every December since 2008. I honestly can't remember ever seeing a mosquito. Even though there can still be days with temps over 80F it is winter time. There are very few bugs of any kind at that time of year.

Spent a little over 2 weeks at POR in September and can confirm they not only have stations around each park were insect repellent is provided, but also at Disney Springs. There was even a can in each room when we checked in so I didn't even use the ones I had packed. Last year was our first trip in many when members in my group even had mosquito bites so I think WDW controls them very well. But it was also the first time we stayed at POR which has a lot more water and dense vegetation.

Unless things have changed in last month, there have been only 2 very small areas near Miami where local infected mosquitoes have been confirmed and last I read both were sprayed agressively and more than 2 incubation periods expired with no new reports. So they seem to have successfully contained at least till next spring.

Mosquitoes do not travel more than about a football field sized area in their short lives so depend on humans to assist in carrying them to other areas. So it will be matter of time before we see Zika in all southern states. Hopefully by then a vaccine will be available.

Keep in mind, the threat is for those who are pregnant or planning to be within 6 months of exposure to Zika (either directly or by your partner). If you aren't in that category even less to worry about.

It is a small risk, but zika presents a risk to people other than those who are or plan to be pregnant.

Zika, while causing, potentially, few symptoms, can significantly reduce your immunity.
There are also reports of mental health implications.

How significant these risks are depends on a lot of things. Your own base level of wellness, the season (December is low season for mosquitos, but, it is still warm enough in FL for them) weather conditions etc.

Recommended repellant can help reduce the risks even further.

Was there two weeks ago. Did not use the repellent. Did not see one mosquito. It was hot. It rained each afternoon briefly. No mosquito's period.

We were just there last week, we did not see nor experience one single mosquito bite, so far as we can tell.

There's rarely any mosquitos in guest areas...they are practically the best at controlling them...

Yep, we seldom see mosquitoes, and have been there in April, May, September, October, and November. Funny Disney can control the (potentially) very numerous mosquitoes very effectively, but can't seem to do the same with gators, whose population is vanishingly small compared to mosquitoes.

Their hands are tied a lot more with gator control, I think. They're only allowed to remove gators above a certain size, etc.

Yep, we seldom see mosquitoes, and have been there in April, May, September, October, and November. Funny Disney can control the (potentially) very numerous mosquitoes very effectively, but can't seem to do the same with gators, whose population is vanishingly small compared to mosquitoes.

:rolleyes:

Had to go there?

They DO control the gator population...but they do not exterminate the gator population.

Orlando is the upper extremity of the largest swamp system in the United States...it's vastly important...and you can't remove parts of it for tourists.

What we learned is:

1. Disney had to do what the rest of Florida does and outright warn you...check.
2. Don't swim in the lakes, never do it in the dark, never let kids do it...check.
3. The idiots who are in the poly bungs...or the dozens of fools shown on YouTube clips at other hotels...STOP THROWING MEAT TO ALLIGATORS.

Ok:..the last one won't happen...2 outta 3 ain't bad.

i'm very happy and always have been with the pest control efforts of not only disney but what a lot of florida does. I know my town regularly sprays for them and did long before zika. floridians have screened in outdoor areas at their houses for a reason.

The only place I know to find mosquitos tends to be water side when it's dark except for lights on the dock or a walking path. If it's really bright from other sources, there tends to not be any in sight. The only spot on property I can think of that fits this description is the dock at wilderness lodge at night and I do see them swarming the lights there a lot. another spot might be that long path to nowhere by the magic kingdom but I don't go down there to know.

I'm not here to say if it's safe or not, but if you come across a mosquito at disney (or universal) It's the exception. if you haven't been here before, you may not know that or even thought of it on a past trip.

Even without all of the controls, you really only have to worry at all if you are getting pregnant (or are). But, no, I wouldn't worry. It has not been found in Orlando, and they do a great job with the mosquitoes. If you are really worried, use your free bug spray.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter