Yup...Another Stroller Question

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
I have 2 DD's...one who is 6 weeks shy of 6 years old and one who is 3 1/2. They do not use strollers at home, but they both had one on our last 2 trips to WDW (January 2008 and October 2008). Now, we are preparing to take our first summer trip to WDW. We leave June 6 and we will be there for 5 nights. We are staying at the AKV-Jambo and we're planning on doing mostly stuff around the resort. We want to spend a lot of time at the pool, viewing the animals and participating in the resort activities.

Of course, we have park tickets and we plan on visiting each park at least once. The plan is to go to the park and do what the girls want to do and then return to the hotel. We have ADR's at LeCellier and Sci-Fi but other than that, we have no "obligation" to be at the parks. The girls have both seen Fantasmic, Spectromagic and Wishes twice and so we are letting them decide if they want to see them again or just ride the rides. DD3 is now over 40" tall and DD5 just hit 48" so there are a lot of rides that we can all ride as a family now. I am thinking that we may end up spending more time in the parks than I was originally planning on.

Ok... now to my stroller question... We have 2 MacLarens (volo and triumph) that I would like to take. Ok, I really don't want to take them, but I also do not want to end up having to rent one, or two, if the girls can't tolerate the heat. Both of the strollers fit together in a single, padded travel bag, however, it is about 1" "oversized" by the airline standards and will cost me $50 to check it each way. I know that I can gate check it for free (did that last time) but it is such a PITA to haul it through the airport. I was thinking that maybe I could ship them UPS to the resort. That way, they would be waiting for me when we get there and I wouldn't need to deal with them at the airport. I am pretty sure that it would be cheaper than $100 to ship them both ways, right? My only issue will be finding an appropriate sized box. Hmm...maybe a box that a golf bag comes in would work? What do you all think?

FWIW, we have a membership at our local zoo and I have been taking the girls there 1-3 times a week. It is a small, but very hilly zoo and our rule is "NO STROLLERS" so we spend anywhere from 2-6 hours a week, in the afternoons, walking the zoo. So far, they have done excellent! We have been going since the beginning of April so their "little stems" (as DD5 calls them) are getting in really good shape. I just do not want to overestimate their abilities and underestimate the heat factor.

Have you considered getting a Sit-n-stand stroller? For the cost of shipping 2 strollers, might be easier to just buy a new (or used) one?

I only have one little guy, so take this advice with a grain of salt, but I just got back from WDW and saw tons of the sit-n-stand varieties and they look perfect for a younger child with an older sibling. Also would be less cumbersome to roll through the airport for gate checking purposes (you could even throw your carry-ons in it and use it as a mini-luggage cart).

Just a suggestion! Have a great trip!!!

My idea would be to put the triumph in the bag (which should take it out of the oversize category,since only 1 would be in there), then use the volo to push either your 3 1/2 year old or your carry ons throught the airport and gate check it. Even if you just throw the volo strap over your shoulder and carry it, it would be so light and not a big issue. And you've saved $50.

Thanks for the replies!

First, the sit and stand is a great idea, but since my girls are basically out of stroller age, I really cannot justify spending money to get another "stroller".

Second, the idea of only putting one stroller in the bag would work, except it is the bag's dimensions that make it oversize. It is the same size whether one or both strollers are in it.

I called our local golf pro shop and they said they have boxes that should work and they will give them to me free:banana:. I checked the UPS website and they are quoting a price of about $12.50 to ship it! That would make things SO much easier.

Well, I'm off to the pro shop. I have to leave DH at home or we'll come home with a $850 box with a free set of clubs thrown in:rotfl:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter