Yummy Counter service desserts at DL & CA

mjlum

Mouseketeer
A few years ago, I was at Disneyland & had a chocolate cake/mousse dessert in the shape of mickey mouse. I think it was at French Market. I've been back a few times since & have not seen it again.

Any recommendations for dessert or sweets at counter service places- or do I need to go to the bakeries at DLR? Looking for chocolate cake, mousse, creme brulee type of desserts. Ice cream is yummy, but I have 3 tubs of Dreyers in my freezer (for me & hubby).

Also, we like the beignets - are they different at DL vs DTD?

Thanks for your reccs!!

The Black Forest cupcake is good over at Village Haus is good, but I still prefer the soft serve over at Paradise Pier.

Tony Spittell, our resident DIS Unplugged food reviewer, has posted good reviews of the new desserts at both Village Haus and the Hungry Bear Restaurant.

Thanks for the plug, Tom. I was going to mention both of these, too. The apple strudel and black forest cupcake were both delicious at Village Haus. And we recently tried the warm blueberry mini pie and lemon cupcake at Hungry Bear. Really enjoyed both. I've become a big fan of DL counter service desserts lately, and will choose them over ice cream or churros any day. :thumbsup2

I heard the beignets at Jazz Kitchen Express were wonderful. For me, I always have to get a dole whip in front of the tiki room. Yes, it is soft serve and you said you had ice cream in the fridge but believe me it's worth it.

I have to say the mile high cake at the Golden Horeshoe is my very favorite desert. HUGE and very good. The ice creams sundaes and stuff is very good, too.
The beignets at Jazz Kitchen are right up there, too. I like them the best out of all the different beignets there.

The Black Forest cupcake is good over at Village Haus is good, but I still prefer the soft serve over at Paradise Pier.

I loved the cupcake at Village Haus! It was delicious and larger than a normal cupcake. I went to Paradise Pier last week and they now only have chocolate and vanilla instead of the vanilla and the flavor swirl. It was still good though.

We like the Dream Cake, we got ours at RBT with our lunch. :) It was quite tasty! Otherwise we didn't do a lot of desserts this last trip, I have been working out a lot to shape up and didn't want to blow it on vacation. :) We want to try the Mile High Chocolate Cake at the Golden Horseshoe but it scares me....LOL :) We did however have the Volcano at RFC and it was just as good as ever!! :)

We really enjoyed the Dreams cake last time we had it too. It's nice at RBT since it's already packaged to go, so we can buy a couple slices and go wait for a show in the evening. I'm pretty sure it's the same cake at French Market. We tried the Golden Horseshoe mile-high cake once. One slice was enough for all four of us (2 adults, 2 children) to share. It was tasty, but DH makes a better chocolate cake with chocolate ganache.

I really like the decorated cookies sold at the candy stores. They're best if you can find them frosted with chocolate.

We had the black forest cupcake and apple strudel at Village Haus. We were pleased that the quality of counter service desserts seems to have gone up, but none of use were really wowed by those particular desserts.

I want to try the chocolate parfait at Tomorrowland Terrace. Anyone out there try that yet? DH might want to try the lemon cupcake at Hungry Bear.

One other fun treat are the ice cream sandwiches at Main Street Cone Shop. They're not pre-packaged but instead a fresh scoop of ice cream pressed between two fresh chocolate chip cookies. Messy but yummy.

The Dobies have to chime in for beignets and for the soft serve at Paradise Pier as well. Om nom nom!!!

And we recently tried the warm blueberry mini pie and lemon cupcake at Hungry Bear. Really enjoyed both. I've become a big fan of DL counter service desserts lately, and will choose them over ice cream or churros any day. :thumbsup2

I wholeheartedly agree with you! I really love Hungry Bear's new menu and their desserts are great! I was afraid the pie would be too sweet, but it was perfect. I would compare the sweetness level to that of fresh blueberries. I did not find it to be overladen with sugar. I find your typical jar of jam is sweeter than this pie. The Lemon cupcake is my fave, though. It has a nice mellow lemon flavor that is not sharp or artificial tasting. It was actually kind of refreshing. I was afraid the frosting would be a super sweet dense buttercream, but it was light and very tasty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter