Your Top 5 - Lands of California Adventure

GatorChris

Not of This World
As promised, here's the second "Top 5" thread for today.

What's your Top 5 Lands of California Adventure? Here's mine:

1. Cars Land: Would there be anything else at #1? This land is what made DCA into a worthy theme park. Of course, Radiator Springs Racers is one of the best Disney rides ever created - with excellent story telling, music, and thrills, this one has it all. I'm also a HUGE fan of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. There's nothing like riding this with my son. We love it!!! We also like the theming of Flo's V-8 Cafe, though the food could be a bit better like it used to be. And being at Car's Land at sunset when the lights come on....pure magic.

2. Grizzly Peak: It's like walking into Yosemite, but with rides! Soarin' is still amazing, even though I do miss the California version. And for soaking good fun, Grizzly River Run is great on a hot day...and if you have access to dry clothes. My kids love Redwood Creek Challenge, and I love just walking through it - it's just as relaxing as Tom Sawyer Island for me. But getting back to the theming, I love all the conifers and the very-well-fitting music loop. This area gives me a great magical feeling.

3. A Bug's Land: I know, I know, it's a kiddie park. And maybe when my kids are all grown, we won't go hear anymore. But for me, this is the original land that made DCA a good park. Shoot, it was the only Disney-themed land when it first opened. The theming here is a perfect fit from one of my all-time favorite Disney films. But we LOVE going on Heimlich's ChewChew train - no thrills, but great theming and dialogue. And It's Tough to Be a Bug is a lot of fun - I love 3D movies.

4. Paradise Pier: While I'm not really huge on the basic beach-front-theme-park feel, I love all the rides in here. Screamin' is a blast everytime I ride it. And Mickey's Fun Wheel (of Death) is always fun when my son starts screaming to get off. Goofy's Sky School is pretty freaky when you hit those corners - I always feel like I'm going to fly out! Add in Toy Story Mania, turkey legs, and plenty of space to move around and this a really fun land.

5. Hollywood Land: There was a time when this would've been second. But they took out my #2 ride of the DLR (Tower of Terror) and replaced it with a ride based on a Marvel movie that I'm just OK with. The jury is still out since I haven't been on it, but just seeing the pictures and how ugly it is ruins the entire theming of the area. And are they ever going to bring back Muppets 3D? I will say I love the new Frozen show. And I also love the Monsters Inc ride and taking my smallest to see Disney Junior Live.

That's my Top 5. Let's hear yours!

My list is exactly the same as yours and for basically the same reasons. :) We have never gone on Mater's, though, so I will have to make it a priority when we go next year. Our boys will be 15, 12, 4, and 2, so I will have to take the little guys on it while the older boys go on RSR.. I'm assuming it isn't a must ride for older kids.

My list is exactly the same as yours and for basically the same reasons. :) We have never gone on Mater's, though, so I will have to make it a priority when we go next year. Our boys will be 15, 12, 4, and 2, so I will have to take the little guys on it while the older boys go on RSR.. I'm assuming it isn't a must ride for older kids.

My oldest is 11, so I can't speak for teenagers. But we all love it. There are some swings on that ride that are better than most Disney rides. Just a lot of fun....especially if you like Mater's character.

Oh boy! This is tough. I really can't give a top 5. There are so many things I like about each land that I take in every trip and I make my way around each land fairly equally.

1. Carsland: This has to be number one, Disney really outdid themselves when they put this one together. I remember when it first opened and walking down that street, I was in awe! The upkeep in this area is great and all three rides are truly fun. Flo's V8 Café is an awesome spot for some grub too, and it's never too busy.

2. Paradise Pier: What a great section of the park! It's so immersive, you really feel like you're on an old California boardwalk when you're walking through here. Just a very clean and well-kempt one haha! Screamin is here, which is my favorite roller coaster of all time for sure. The Fun Wheel is the most iconic ride in the park now that Tower has been reworked, and Toy Story Midway Mania is really ahead of it's time in my opinion.

3. Grizzly Peak: I didn't really think the revamp was necessary but whatever. This section of the park is really well done, I love the trees and the shady pathways. Soarin is obviously a DCA staple, Grizzly River is a blast (bring extra socks). I love Smoke Jumpers (formally Taste Pilot's Grill), the burgers are so good and I love that you get to add whatever toppings and sauces you want for free. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is pretty fun too, kids love it, even as adults my girlfriend and I will run through here every once and a while.

4. Bug's Land: So many Bug's Land haters around I've noticed, people want this place gutted but I hope it never happens. It's a really charming section of the park and a great place to take kids on a hot day, the shade is awesome here and there's the two water play areas. Not really a section for thrill seekers but I still like going on Francis' Lady Bug Boogie and Flik's Flyers, even when there's no kids with us. There's literally never a wait on the rides here and a churro stand right in the middle!!!

5. Hollywood Backlot: I can't remember what this section is called.. The best part about this area is Animation Academy, that room you go into with all the screens and the Disney songs are playing, gahh it's really magical. Turtle Talk is always fun, and every once and a while we'll do the actual Animation Academy and learn to draw a character. Monster's Inc is a fine ride, but it is REALLY out of place here :( There is a TON of room in this area of the park that can be better used I think.. I can't comment on Mission Breakout having not been on it yet. The Frozen musical is really weak compared to Aladdin..

1. Carsland: I agree that Disney great job with this land to really make it feel like you're walking into Radiator Springs.
2. Buena Vista Street: I like the attention to detail that they put into the facades. I didn't think much of this until I went on a tour that explained the concept (and hidden details) that went into the street.
3. Grizzly Peaks: I do like how this area looks and the unifying design. The fact that there is almost always a kitty near GRR helps!
4. a bug's life: None of the attractions in this land really interest me, but I agree that they did a good job making it look like a bug's life and this is a great spot for little kids.

I honestly don't really have a fifth "favorite" land in DCA. Pacific Wharf, Paradise Pier, and Hollywoodland are all about equal to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter