Your thoughts on animal testing?

Mrs. Chamberlain

<font color=purple><marquee>Run for the skylines,
I just want to know what you all think about this.

My thoughts:

Lab mice and rats are raised for testing. Cows and pigs are raised for food. Animals are raised for this. It's not like people go to a pet store and pick a rat to test on. Without these tests, medicine would be nowhere. Common diseases could kill you. There was a time when diarrhea was one of the leading causes of death. Due to testing on animals, they were able to find medication to fix it.

I am totally behind a few animals dying after they were raised to do so to save a few thousand people.

as a psychology major, i've had to come to terms with animal testing. in my realm, its very very very regulated. that makes me think that its regulated in the medical and cosmetical world too. we have a board who monitors everything we do, and before we can even like, test an animal, we have to propose it to the board, and they examine it, and decide if the test is humane or not. yes, sometimes animals will die during tests. those tests are very rare, and very very monitored, and usually frowned upon to be honest. in psychological testing, most animals have no lasting harm.

i know not everyone is as nice to animals as we have to be, and that makes me sad, but sometimes you have to put ethics aside to advance.

i know that was really jumbled, but my feelings are pretty jumbled. this isn't a black and white matter, and it can't be treated with a simple yes or no.

I view animal testing as a necessary evil. I've been showered with information about clinical trials throughout my second semester in bio this year, and I plan on going into virology. Congratulations, the drugs we use have been tested on animals. The specific area of virology I want to go into specifically mentions a lot of primate testing. I don't really like it, but the job has to get done to better ourselves, right?

My lab skills teacher told us that when she worked as a researcher, they had her testing dogs. I personally think there's something messed up with that, but the dogs were raised to be tested on.

As far as drug/viral testing goes, yes, I'm for it. What kind of other alternatives are out there?
As far as cosmetics though, animal tested or not, it's been approved, and if we've been able to have healthy products that haven't been animal tested, then that's just fine by me.

I just want to know what you all think about this.

My thoughts:

Lab mice and rats are raised for testing. Cows and pigs are raised for food. Animals are raised for this. It's not like people go to a pet store and pick a rat to test on. Without these tests, medicine would be nowhere. Common diseases could kill you. There was a time when diarrhea was one of the leading causes of death. Due to testing on animals, they were able to find medication to fix it.

I am totally behind a few animals dying after they were raised to do so to save a few thousand people.

True.
I am behind it too.

I'm not completely against it.
Shelby's post makes perfect sense to me, and that's kind of how I feel.

And, maybe, yes, I can put a value on one animal over another.

Banning animal testing would have and will cost us millions of human lives. Some of us might not even be here if animal testing was banned.

I view animal testing as a necessary evil.

Amen. I think that I would put one life above another, even if that makes me a meanie. I just think that there is a reason there is a food chain.

For medical reasons? Yes I absolutely support it. Without testing animals for medical purposes, we'd have lost thousands of lives, if not more. I'm sorry, but yes I do think a human life is more important that a rat life, on certain occasions.
For cosmetic reasons? Well, I think it's kind of inane to be honest.

OT - but I've joked around with my doctors, telling them to get me a job as a lab rat. I've been poked and prodded enough, I should just be kept in a cage and become a lab rat. :rotfl:

if you're against animal testing, why aren't you signed up to take all of those experimental drugs and tests instead? :confused3

I'm totally against animal testing.
I think that they should test on prisoners.
like... people who murder and stuff like that.
you know what I'm saying?
they did something to deserve it...
whilst animals did nothing.

I'm totally against animal testing.
I think that they should test on prisoners.
like... people who murder and stuff like that.

That's against the 8th amendment, since it counts as cruel and unusual punishment.

I think that they need to test it on the idiots who woud take minimum wage for getting tested on. You know they're out there.

I'm another who sees it as a necessary evil. We wouldn't be half as far as we are with medical advancements if we didn't test on animals. I'm not a fan of cosmetic testing, though.

And now that it's getting easier and easier to replicate skin cells and such, I'd really like to be opptimistic and think that soon (hopefully in my lifetime) animal testing will become obsolete because lab-generated human cells can be used for both medical and cosmetic testing.

As for food, I don't support reckless killing of animals. If that animal is going to be killed, you had damn well have a purpose for it once it's dead. And ideally, as much of the animal as possible should be used once dead. Eat the meat and use the fur/pelt for a jacket or blanket or something. However, I don't support killing animals just for the fur. That's wasteful. I also don't support over killing like what's happening in Asia with their fish supply. I understand that those people want these types of fish to eat, but there's ways to get those fish without endangering their numbers.

I totally understand what your saying. I'm personally agaisnt it, but I'm not gonna go chain myself to a box of rats. Ima slowly starting to be a vegetarian. I really don't eat meat all that much to began with. There is this video I saw and its about where your meat actually comes from and I wouldn't eat meat for about a month. I started eating it again, because I didn't think it was healthy to kick it all out at once I'll only have meat like twice a week. I'm trying to slowly kick it all out. My mom's side of the family is all vegetarian so I have plenty of help. They are all happy and are telling me what protein drinks to have and such. So i'm happy I have my family behind me :D

I'm another who sees it as a necessary evil. We wouldn't be half as far as we are with medical advancements if we didn't test on animals. I'm not a fan of cosmetic testing, though.

And now that it's getting easier and easier to replicate skin cells and such, I'd really like to be opptimistic and think that soon (hopefully in my lifetime) animal testing will become obsolete because lab-generated human cells can be used for both medical and cosmetic testing.

As for food, I don't support reckless killing of animals. If that animal is going to be killed, you had damn well have a purpose for it once it's dead. And ideally, as much of the animal as possible should be used once dead. Eat the meat and use the fur/pelt for a jacket or blanket or something. However, I don't support killing animals just for the fur. That's wasteful. I also don't support over killing like what's happening in Asia with their fish supply. I understand that those people want these types of fish to eat, but there's ways to get those fish without endangering their numbers.

I agree with the bolded part entirely as well.

I don't like it at all..and I think it's horrible. But for medical testing, at this point in our technology, it just has to be done, sadly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter