Your thoughts about doing laundry versus using on-board laundry service

Valencia Joe

Mouseketeer
I was wondering what people thought about using the on-board laundry service that DCL provides for a fee versus using the laundry room. This will be our second cruise, but will be part of a long vacation for us leading up to the cruise. There probably will be a need to do laundry early on, but know that the room gets quite busy on sea days and I really don't want to spend my time in the laundry room anyway. Does DCL offer the service where they will wash and clean everything that you give them for a set fee or do they charge by the piece (I am thinking about getting the 'ol underwear cleaned during this time... LOL).

Thanks!

:laundy:

I have only seen it by piece. We did a couple loads last cruise & it wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been, just keep checking back if machines are full.

In the past when people have posted the laundry price list, everything was by the piece. I've never seen anything that showed them doing say laundry by the pound.

The main trick with getting your laundry done on your own is waking up early enough before the laundry rooms fill up.

The other thing that will help is if you just plan on doing a little bit of laundry through out the trip. Basically, never spend a lot of time in the laundry room, just make a lot of brief trips.

it was a bit of a pain - the washers take less time than the dryers, so there is a back up. Some people were being not so nice about it - taking laundry out of dryers before the time was up or the laundry dry - while others left their dryers to stop and were not there to remove their stuff.. Most of the rest of us felt it best to stay there and politely maintain our order for getting to the dryers...It is hot , stuffy, and very close in there. Waiting in the hall I felt as if I was in the way all the time. We were right down the hall so I could back and forth a bit - would have been worse if the stateroom wasn't right there.

I am already saving $ for laundry service on our 15 day - I really don't want to spend time in the laundry room this time!:)

If I am paying $$$$ for a cruise/vacation long enough to need laundry done, I am going to pay a minimal fee to have it done for me. I do not take vacation to wash and fold, I take a vacation to get away from it.

We did quite a bit of laundry(way too expensive for individual pieces) but it really wasn't a big deal b/c we'd do it at off times (super early in the morning or late at night). We never had to wait for the washer but maybe a couple of times for the dryer. dh or i would swing by on our way to the room (which seemed like we stopped by often b/c we forgot something or needed to drop something off).

Maybe it also helps that we go off season b/c the ship isn't full?

Also we take a mesh foldable laundry basket that was awesome to carry the clothes back and forth!

I defer to DW. She did laundy on the ship because she is NEVER happy with how the clothes look after they have been wased at a commerical laundry.
It is also the reason we are all trained in the store to check labels and make sure we NEVER buy anything that is dry clean only. Only exception to that rule are the suits DS and I have, and the 2 fancy dresses DD and DW have.

I could have a tag that says "known to do laundry anywhere" :lmao:
I've done the laundry on ships, in hotels, not in hotels, even one time in Bermuda at a laundromat where only the locals went.

I can't stand to take a lot of luggage with me when I travel. With six of us, can you imagine what the suitcases would be??? I always limited the clothes to 1/2 a suitcase per person, except on fancy cruises where you need to bring dress up clothes. In any case, I still pack light on the clothes and then get in a few loads. It's usually fast, easy and it saves me a whole lot of time when I get back home if I only have CLEAN clothes to put away instead of a bunch of dirty clothes to wash. :thumbsup2

We've cruised DCL as part two of a two week vacation so I was in need of some clean clothes as soon as we boarded. I headed to the laundry room the first night as I unpacked, and there was NO ONE there. I was able to bang out a load of dark and load of light, plus drying, before dinner.

Under normal circumstances, I'm a fan of sending our clothes out to be pressed, though, for 1/2 the price of normal cleaning!

(way too expensive for individual pieces)

I just did a quick calculation and for my upcoming cruise it would be $35 just to do the underpants!:scared1: (28 x $1.25). Guess I too will be in the laundry room a bunch.

I used it before and found it miserable. But I'm a late nighter so just maybe that would work. I always wondered though about the poor folks that flank the laundry rooms. Do they hear all the noise and chatter?

Also does anyone know if the laundry service presses things like khakis and shirts or do they just fold them?:confused3

TIA

Linda

We're planning to do laundry on the ship; in fact, I'll probably do some on the afternoon we board assuming we get our luggage in time as we'll have had a few days traveling already. I don't mind doing it on the ship; in fact when I made my list of what to wear which day, I put in which day(s) we'll do some washing and I packed around it. Based on when we'll be on-board and when we'll be out doing excursions.

If I were doing a shorter cruise (less than a week) then I would just send it out except for maybe the underwear - I'd probably just do that myself or pack enough that it doesn't have to be done.

I used it before and found it miserable. But I'm a late nighter so just maybe that would work. I always wondered though about the poor folks that flank the laundry rooms. Do they hear all the noise and chatter?

[/QUOTE]

The laundry rooms are a bit removed from the cabins but I have seen posts from neighboring rooms complaining about the people's voices and the heat from the dryers.

My experience was relatively painless. Found the laundry room empty and did several loads - a great feeling to have plenty of clean clothes. It was after late dinner seating though...

Oh, I don't press, though - $25 got everything pressed and, to me, it was worth it

Barb

Where are the laundry rooms located? Are they on each deck? We are on 2 and I looked at deck plans but didn't see laundry.:laundy:

Found this on a thread 3-4 yrs ago. Should still be fairly accurate, but may not include all laundry rooms.

Deck 2 opposite cabin 2096

Deck 6 opposite cabin 6588

Deck 7 opposite cabin 7590.

Doing laundry on the ship is a bit of a pain...but I usually do it once on a 7 day cruise.

When we cruise as part of a long vacation, I get on the ship with everything clean. We are usually at WDW before the cruise, and there are laundry facilities at each resort. The machines are more plentiful and less crowded than on the ship. I do laundry the night before the cruise and board with suitcases of clean clothes. That way, I'm doing only a load or two while on board (meaning ONE laundry session).

Early morning or late evening is best. The machines have timers that indicate the number of minutes remaining on your cycle. While I've never seen people removing clothes from a dryer that was still running, I've certainly seen things removed from machines when the person didn't show up to empty machine which had stopped. Cost is $1 for washer, $1 for dryer, 75 cents for detergent. You need quarters (can get change at guest services if the change machine in the laundry room isn't working). I bring detergent in single load containers to save money.

Just in case your doing a Med cruise - I heard they add the VAT to laundry they do and it is not refundable since it is a service. I'd probably have any good clothing done by them and do 1 load of underwear, socks, etc. yourself. Just don't try to do on an at sea day - those are the worse for laundry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter