Your non-grocery shopping list

MinMou

DIS Veteran
I'm saving Disney gift cards for our next trip "home", and my Mom gave me department store's cards instead. Since they are supposed to be used for something special, I am trying to come up with things I will have to buy for the trip, but not the kind of things you would get from greengrocer. But after rain ponchos, I have drawn a blank. Help!

I know I will have buy more clothes for DS before we go, because he is growing, but I would have bought those anyway. I have enough luggage. What items do you get before your trip, besides food, paper plates, etc?

Last edited:
Sunblock, hand sanitizer, and from a tip I read on the dis board, liquid hand soap for the hotel. I wear contacts and their soap just doesn't cut it to clean my hands!

How about buying items as surprise souvenirs for the kids? I did it when my girls where young. I had things like Disney tshirts and Disney PJ's. They each found one surprise when they opened their luggage and the others where put out after they fell asleep at night. It was like Christmas morning every day of our trip.

As a result there was nothing they wanted me to buy for them in the parks. I think my oldest didn't even spend her own money.

Bathing suit, new PJ's, new unders, a few tops and shorts....

I always buy medications, bandaids, sunblock, toiletries. Sanitizing wipes, phone charger, hand foam, new cross body bag.

it would help what store it is for - to me, department store is like Dillards, Nordstroms, Macy's, etc...

If it's to department stores like Bloomingdales or Macy's or other clothing stores buy new clothes, swimsuit and coverup, sun hat, makeup, sunscreen, skincare stuff, etc. If it's giftcards to stores like Walmart and Target use those to purchase other giftcards like to Disney or Starbucks or something of that nature.

If department stores like Macy's, Nordstrom's, etc., clothes, swim stuff, new shoes, great moisture-wicking exercise socks, makeup, jewelry. For the big box stores like Target and Wal-Mart, sunscreen, moleskin and blister bandaids, OTC meds like tylenol, allergy, bug spray, tummy medicine, etc., good socks, hair stuff, etc.

What stores and how old is your DS?
Sorry, I didn't clarify. We have cards for Macys and Sears. And DS will be 4. I was trying to stay away from things we would be buying anyway between now and then, but I forgot about Disney clothes, etc. and getting better walking shoes.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

Sorry, I didn't clarify. We have cards for Macys and Sears. And DS will be 4. I was trying to stay away from things we would be buying anyway between now and then, but I forgot about Disney clothes, etc. and getting better walking shoes.

Thanks for all the answers so far!
Hmm portable DVD player? Head phones? Definitely some Disney outfits/pjs and maybe some toys/souvenirs. They're so expensive on site. Nice water bottles maybe? If you're staying on site or in a smaller room it's nice to have some organizational stuff like an over the door shoe holder for organizing shoes or toiletries. Pop up hampers also come in handy for keeping dirty laundry in one place. Hope that helps some!

Hanging toiletry bag if you don't have one, makes life a lot easier since you don't have to unpack, just use whatever and put it back in the bag. Cuts down on clutter on the sink area. I'm not sure I'm understanding why you wouldn't use it to go ahead and buy your son's clothes. Do that then take the money you would have spent on the clothes and buy Disney gift cards or prepaid visa/mc. I always need a new pool cover up. Maybe a new park bag.

I'm a bargain shopper, so I love going in the fall/winter to the parks & shopping the summer clearance for special park clothes.

And I don't forget gallon size ziplocs.

* If you don't already have one, a rechargeable/portable battery for your phone or other electronic devices is a good buy!
* You could get yourself and/or the kids a Disney themed watch as a pre-trip souvenir (I did this the last time I had an Amazon gift card)

How about buying items as surprise souvenirs for the kids? I did it when my girls where young. I had things like Disney tshirts and Disney PJ's. They each found one surprise when they opened their luggage and the others where put out after they fell asleep at night. It was like Christmas morning every day of our trip.

My grandma used to do something like this for me when I was a kid! She would wrap up small gifts and then write notes on them like, "Open me when you get to the hotel" and it would be a new pajamas and a nightlight. I'd get some small gifts and enjoy the trip all the more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter