Your nearest city is…

Depends on the definition of "city". Most people in the United States live in incorporated cities.
63% according to Google live in incorporated cities. I am in the 37% that don't. More people live in the unincorporated area of Sacramento County than in any of the six individual cities in the county. 610,000 live in the unincorporated area, the biggest incorporated city is Sacramento with 524,000. Next biggest city if Elk Grove with 176,000. However Sacramento County provides some services to some of the incorporated cities. All the Courts, Airports and Tax Collection are done by the County. They also provide law enforcement to one city.

63% according to Google live in incorporated cities. I am in the 37% that don't. More people live in the unincorporated area of Sacramento County than in any of the six individual cities in the county. 610,000 live in the unincorporated area, the biggest incorporated city is Sacramento with 524,000. Next biggest city if Elk Grove with 176,000. However Sacramento County provides some services to some of the incorporated cities. All the Courts, Airports and Tax Collection are done by the County. They also provide law enforcement to one city.

I understand that Rancho Cordova contracts with the Sac Sheriff for police services, although where it's in distinct "Rancho Cordova Police" uniforms and vehicles. Don't really get it, but I've heard of the same in American Canyon (Napa Sheriff) and Dublin (Alameda Sheriff). Contract cities in San Mateo or LA County just deal with it.

Agree, not sure how to answer... is asking the next town over, or closest metropolis or...?

*edit*
I'm just going to say Sacramento.

I was trying to parse it. Legally defined as a city? A place that most people would recognize (even if not technically a city)? The big city that most people would recognize? And if you're in that city, does being there count as "closest"?

I understand that Rancho Cordova contracts with the Sac Sheriff for police services, although where it's in distinct "Rancho Cordova Police" uniforms and vehicles. Don't really get it, but I've heard of the same in American Canyon (Napa Sheriff) and Dublin (Alameda Sheriff). Contract cities in San Mateo or LA County just deal with it.
Elk Grove and Citrus Heights did the same thing for a time after becoming cities while they organized and found the money to pay for their own departments. Yes, Rancho Cordova Police do have their own uniforms and Police cars, but you do see Deputies in Sheriff's uniforms and Sheriff's patrol cars in Rancho Cordova too. Rancho Cordova does not have it's own specialized officers for handling Homicides, Crime Scene Processing, etc, those are all Sheriff's Deputies. Rancho Cordova has their own Police Chief, so there is more local control of law enforcement priorities than before they were a city, but they just aren't a big enough a city to support a full police department.
It is interesting as Elk Grove, Citrus Heights and Rancho Cordova incorporated and formed their own City Councils and Police Departments........Fire and EMS services went the other direction. The local Fire Departments are all gone. Arden, Arcade, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Rancho Cordova, Fair Oaks, North Highlands, Florin, Sloughhouse, Rancho Murieta, Rio Linda and Elverta Fire Departments all merged into what is now Sacramento Metropolitan Fire Department. And I may have left out a few that merged into that department.

Elk Grove and Citrus Heights did the same thing for a time after becoming cities while they organized and found the money to pay for their own departments. Yes, Rancho Cordova Police do have their own uniforms and Police cars, but you do see Deputies in Sheriff's uniforms and Sheriff's patrol cars in Rancho Cordova too. Rancho Cordova does not have it's own specialized officers for handling Homicides, Crime Scene Processing, etc, those are all Sheriff's Deputies. Rancho Cordova has their own Police Chief, so there is more local control of law enforcement priorities than before they were a city, but they just aren't a big enough a city to support a full police department.
It is interesting as Elk Grove, Citrus Heights and Rancho Cordova incorporated and formed their own City Councils and Police Departments........Fire and EMS services went the other direction. The local Fire Departments are all gone. Arden, Arcade, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Rancho Cordova, Fair Oaks, North Highlands, Florin, Sloughhouse, Rancho Murieta, Rio Linda and Elverta Fire Departments all merged into what is now Sacramento Metropolitan Fire Department. And I may have left out a few that merged into that department.

I've seen it before, and the Sacramento Sheriff provides a captain as the Rancho Cordova PD Chief. That's the same deal as other contact cities.

Matthew Tamayo
Captain
Rancho Cordova PD​

Not a city though. But Citrus Heights is.
I'll change it; Roseville. Per the pp remarks about the police in the area; I'm in an area where you drive 2 blocks and within those 2 blocks, I could have Citrus Heights PD, Sacramento County Deputies, Roseville PD and CHP LOL You don't speed around here.

By my definition of a City, Philadelphia,.PA. Technically there may be 1 or more closer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter