Your most important tip for a first time cruise

Don't over pack is my best tip! We never even use everything we bring and it's very little. A lot of the time is spent in swimsuits and cover ups anyway. 2nd tip is being plenty of sunscreen, the sun is pretty strong out there and it is easy to burn.

My #1 tip: Live as though you were on a ship in the middle of an ocean filled with people you will never see again...BECAUSE YOU ARE.

Grown person who wants to do the Midship Detective Agency? Do it. (It's super cute.)

Want some soft serve ice cream? Your personal trainer will never know.

Want to go to The Tube and see if you remember how to do The Hustle? Put your kids in the Club and put your dancing shoes on.

Feel like ordering an extra entree because they both sound good and you want to have half of each? Have at it.

What's that? The desserts on tonight's menu don't sound tempting? Nobody will tell you this, BUT THEY HAVE MICKEY PREMIUM BARS ON THE SHIP (the ones shaped like Mickey's head made of vanilla ice cream and dipped in chocolate). Have one. Order another one later from room service if you like.

Want to dress like Pocahontas and sing "Colors of the Wind" at Family Karaoke? (If you do, please post video. I gotta see that.)

A Disney cruise is a time to just overflow with fun and create great memories. Get creatin'!

It hurts my heart when I read posts by people who are anxious or nervous. That isn't what Mickey wants for us. Enjoy!

We brought our own Tervis cups and lids for the drink machines. That came in handy.

Great tip! We're going on our first cruise in Sept. and I was going to be researching that question. Are the soda machines by the pool open 24/7?

My #1 tip: Live as though you were on a ship in the middle of an ocean filled with people you will never see again...BECAUSE YOU ARE.

Grown person who wants to do the Midship Detective Agency? Do it. (It's super cute.)

Want some soft serve ice cream? Your personal trainer will never know.

Want to go to The Tube and see if you remember how to do The Hustle? Put your kids in the Club and put your dancing shoes on.

Feel like ordering an extra entree because they both sound good and you want to have half of each? Have at it.

What's that? The desserts on tonight's menu don't sound tempting? Nobody will tell you this, BUT THEY HAVE MICKEY PREMIUM BARS ON THE SHIP (the ones shaped like Mickey's head made of vanilla ice cream and dipped in chocolate). Have one. Order another one later from room service if you like.

Want to dress like Pocahontas and sing "Colors of the Wind" at Family Karaoke? (If you do, please post video. I gotta see that.)

A Disney cruise is a time to just overflow with fun and create great memories. Get creatin'!

It hurts my heart when I read posts by people who are anxious or nervous. That isn't what Mickey wants for us. Enjoy!

AMEN! Great tips!!

And yes, I LOVE the Midship Detective Agency. I did it soooooo many times on the Fantasy in February - the puppies, the paintings, and the Muppets (several times on that). It's fun AND if you don't take the elevators it's a great way to get some exercise in!

Ok, so are some thoughts..... most already out there but,

1. Stay within an hour before getting up and driving in. (If you live in FLR, never mind lol) I enjoy getting up in FLR and taking our time getting to the ship. Don't need to start your day off in a hurry or stuck in traffic.

2. Be kind in the terminal. There are alot of folks that haven't cruised before and more folks that didn't read my #1. Be one of those people who share the Disney spirit with others.

3. Keep an eye on the folks the first day or two when they are looking for signs or looking at a map, always ask if they know where they are going? You know the ones, the dear in the headlights look.

4. Arrive on time for dinner, not 10 minutes early or 10 minutes late. Even if you don't have tablemates your servers have other tables besides yours. CM's will say it is ok to run late, but it's not. It just they are more concerned about a tip than working harder than they should.

5. Tell your service team if you are going to Palo or Remy, just a courtesy so they don't hold up service for you.

6. If you are with a large group (multiple families) set the ground rules where to meet for shows and other events and do not wait past the appointed time to meet. If you wait, they will be late the entire cruise. Don't save seats for folks that have not arrived at the theater yet. Arrive 20 minutes early if you a bigger group if you want seats together. If it is not a DCL performance you can arrive 10 minutes early and be fine.

7. Ask you servers if you can have a cheese plate on night 2 with your bread. A good team will provide you a plate on night 2 and the remaining nights automatically. Recommend the parm and the smoked chedder.

8. When in doubt, a Mickey Bar!

9. Walk a lap around the track (deck 4) between the meal and the show. Check out the sunset. Grab a lounger on deck 4 when finished walking. Please save us 2 chairs since I am telling you my secrets, lol)

10. Get the larger container fof popcorn for 7.50 the first night and keep it to refill. Otherwise on night 3 you'll wish you had gotten it on the first night.

11. On the Dream and Fantasy stand on the upper deck towards the funnel vision for the fireworks, stand near the rail. Grab a space early and you can lean on the rail. Take a soft drink or other drink with you. Remeber the buffer afterwards. The line moves really quick so don't stress about the line.

12. Most of all, do NOT get in a hurry. Always give yourself extra time. Remember you are on board a cruise ship and don't get stressed.

13. And finally for now..... when you are on the pool deck watching people in bathing suits go by.... remember my old saying "Why are the wrong people wearing the right clothes". Think of me Justacruiser when you see that...... hahahahahaha.

more later, i am sure.

Regarding #5, if you like to go to Palo on the first night (or Remy...but since I don't eat fish, baby cow, or weird birds that will never be an option for me), how do you handle letting your servers know? Especially if your Palo time is at or slightly before your dining seating (ex: 8pm Palo but you have second seating).

It's sort of moot point for me on Fantasy cruises now as I like to request AP three times which typically puts me in there night 1, so I book Palo for night 2 and thus avoid EG. But in the event I cruise on one of the other ships... I've never been sure how to handle it and have just gone to Palo and explained the next night.

Oh..I thought of one more. Pick out one night and spend it watching a movie on the Funnelvision. Grab a blanket, a drink and some snacks (that left over popcorn in the popcorn bucket will do, LOL). There is nothing like sitting in a lounger under the stars, feeling the ship move through the water, while watching a movie. My favorite is Pirates of the Caribbean (usually shown on Pirate night after the festivities are over).

If on the Magic or Wonder, grab your bathing suit and sit in the hot tub while watching the movie. :thumbsup2

Brilliant, should be posted in port !

If bringing the refillable mug, remember you MUST use a new clean disposable cup to draw the ice and drink and then transfer it to your refillable. There are signs on each machine reminding you, it is all about spreading germs. And don't be the parents with "those kids", while it is nice doing whatever you want because you will not see these people again, they are on vacation too so be courteous.
:thanks:

Last edited:
Regarding #5, if you like to go to Palo on the first night (or Remy...but since I don't eat fish, baby cow, or weird birds that will never be an option for me), how do you handle letting your servers know? Especially if your Palo time is at or slightly before your dining seating (ex: 8pm Palo but you have second seating).

It's sort of moot point for me on Fantasy cruises now as I like to request AP three times which typically puts me in there night 1, so I book Palo for night 2 and thus avoid EG. But in the event I cruise on one of the other ships... I've never been sure how to handle it and have just gone to Palo and explained the next night.

Don't sweat it. The Head Servers use a computer system that tells them all kinds of stuff about you, including your face pictures that are taken at the Port, any special dining needs, and when you have premium dining booked. We learned this on a cruise a few years ago when our Head Server came over and said, "So you are going to Remy tomorrow, eh?" and we asked how he knew that.

Realizing that dinner services are hectic and they might not see or remember all that stuff in advance, we always let them know when we will not be there the following night. But when you don't show up on night 1, it's not like they are going to have gone to the trouble of getting your drinks and other special requests ready in advance, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't sweat it. The Head Servers use a computer system that tells them all kinds of stuff about you, including your face pictures that are taken at the Port, any special dining needs, and when you have premium dining booked. We learned this on a cruise a few years ago when our Head Server came over and said, "So you are going to Remy tomorrow, eh?" and we asked how he knew that.

Realizing that dinner services are hectic and they might not see or remember all that stuff in advance, we always let them know when we will not be there the following night. But when you don't show up on night 1, it's not like they are going to have gone to the trouble of getting your drinks and other special requests ready in advance, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks! Like I said, assuming things stay as they are in terms of Fantasy rotations and getting a request of AP three times means that AP will be the first night, it's a moot point. :)

But it's good to know if I'm ever on a different length cruise (or if I rebook the Wonder cruise and put the "Tritons first night" request on there so I cld book Palo that night as that's the menu I'm least impressed with).

Not sure about the Magic and Wonder, but on the Dream and Fantasy the in-room TVs will broadcast recordings of the evening shows on a specific channel. They are offered at least concurrent with the shows in the theatre, plus often extra viewings. great if you just want to lounge in your room (in your PJs? BTDT) and watch.

Not sure about the Magic and Wonder, but on the Dream and Fantasy the in-room TVs will broadcast recordings of the evening shows on a specific channel. They are offered at least concurrent with the shows in the theatre, plus often extra viewings. great if you just want to lounge in your room (in your PJs? BTDT) and watch.

PJs and order milk and cookies and/or a Mickey Premium Bar from room service. BTDT many many times.

ugh don't tell me this now i won't leave my room LOL

IF there were ONE show on the Dream that you would recommend being there to see in person, which one would you choose?

IF there were ONE show on the Dream that you would recommend being there to see in person, which one would you choose?

Heh... we never made it to the shows in person, we watched them on the TV :-) On both our cruises.... We are planning for our next cruise (b2b on Dream) that we will go to at least one show in person :-)

Hopefully someone else can give some good advice -- I would appreciate it too !

SW

This brings up an important Concierge tip:

If you want popcorn to munch while you watch the show in your stateroom (or anytime for that matter), don't get it from room service or run down to Preludes to buy it. Both of those will cost you money. Just go into the Concierge Lounge and ask for popcorn. They will give you a bag (or as many bags as you want) for free.

Believe!!!!! It's my favorite!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter