Your karma and your coworkers

frijolefrito

Mouseketeer
I'd like to start off this isn't meant to be religious. I am mentioning karma but I'm actually talking about being a good or bad person. I have a coworker that is gone in a week. Because of some issues caused by him everyone in the shop is on a, "first mess up it's a write up." Basically it's that everyone has been warned about everything! No more Mr. Nice guy from management. We have a guy that is constantly falling asleep at work. Well after this policy was instated he fell asleep again. He was talked to by the shift lead and he stayed up. The minute the shift lead left to go run an errand he put his head down and passed out. I had to say his name multiple times finally he wakes up. I was told if I see this I should write him up. So I have the write up written I just need to fill in the information. I am not seeking vengeance with the write up. It's just this guy is so deserving of one and I'm a supervisor. Let it go? Continue?

:crazy2:

Sleeping on the job is not good at all and should not be tolerated. What value does someone have sleeping when they should be working. It's a flagrant violation and unethical.

I've been in many auto facilities. In two, one a design shop with UAW technicians and the other an assembly plant I saw union members sleeping at their work station. In one I was able to speak to the head of the facility and was given an excuse to why it was allowed. The real reason it was tolerated is because if somone outside the union complains, the union member just files a grievance against the company because they are being told what to do by somone who is not thier supervisor. It just took these two visits and it is why I have no pity for the UAW.

I know where you're coming from, and i am actually a big believer in karma.
But he is doing what he knows is wrong, and making work a mess for everyone else. I feel like in that situation it's ok to continue with the write up. I am also a supervisor at my work and luckliy I don't have to deal with many issues like that, but other supervisors at my job have written up fellow employees that they didn't like for no reason, or if it was their friend they would just let it slide, but since it was a certain employee they didn't like they would do the write up. And I feel like a write up for those reasons is totally unfair.
So i think you are in the right in what you are doing. People need to learn that you are at work to work...not nap. (or text, or get on facebook, etc).

military you say? is this a the "guy" that signs up for service because it's expected of him by is folks? or is this something that he really wanted to do? maybe he had a most awesome recruiter and was "sweet talked" into how cool it would be, then when he got there it was nothing like he expected and now he's just waiting for his tour to be up?

reguardless of why, he shouldn't be sleeping on the job. i'm a firm believer in have pride in oneself and what one does. has anyone looked into why he's sleeping all the time? is it something he can help (like not party all night)? or does he have a medical condition and really can't control the nodding off?

it sounds like he has ample warning/time to get help so, yes, a write up is in order. and i don't think you'll be on the reciving end of bad karma for doing your job:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter