YOUR intrepretation of "quiet" pool

MinnesotaChill

Mouseketeer
I want to just pose a general question. I am making no judgements either way. When my husband and I travel alone, we like to enjoy the quiet pool at the dvc resorts because there are so few people there and they are, well, quiet. When we have kids with us, we always make them play at the main pool so they don't disturb the quiet pool guests.

What is your intpretation of the quiet pool vs. main pool? What exactly does "quiet" mean?

I'm just wondering if I am being overly sensitive to other people by making my kids stay away from the quiet pools, lest they spoil someone else's pool time.

popcorn::

Honestly, to me quiet pool means the pool without the lifeguard. It usually isn't as much fun as the main pool for kids, but we do use them as a family on occaision. I never thought of them as "adults only" or anything like that.

I always like the quiet pools because I do not like to be over run by kids. I do not mind kids there but I feel there should be no loud horse play and no jumping and extra splashing around. That is what I feel the main pools are for. Just my idea of a quiet pool.

While many refer to the "non-main" pools as "quiet" pools, I think that most of the resorts actually call them "neighborhood" pools. Regardless what they may be called, they do not have lifeguards or slides and are not as "busy" as the main pool at any of the resorts.

Quiet definitely does not refer to any noise restriction in place and you certainly don't need to keep your children away from these pools as long as they observe posted rules for the pool. Since there are no lifeguards, children must be under adult supervision at these pools.

Enjoy! :)

Well for us a quiet pool is a non themed pool not for being quiet just not themed. Our kids will use the quiet pools if they have to get a swimming fix and it is closer than the themed pool but prefer the themed pools. So our interpretation is it is just not themed and not in a central location to the check in area hospitality house.

I have 2 kids ages 8 and 11. We try to gauge the "mood" of the leisure pool and adjust our behavior accordingly. The fact is, our kids really like SWIM-not just frolic and play in a pool. They do love the main pool for all of its bells and whistles, but there are times they just want to kick back and do lap- type swimming. On those occasions it means we head to the leisure pool.

I think of them as neighborhood pools that generally have fewer people enjoying them, bujt it does not necessarily mean lack of noise.

I always just think of the quiet pool as the pool without the themed slide area. Generally, not as crowded as the themed pool (perhaps because it is not as exciting to the kids?). Never occurred to me to not let my kids in the quiet pool - I've actually found the quiet pool to be quite nice for my preschooler (well, except for the time when two adults got into a screaming match about the ducks and started dropping F-bombs).

My definition of a quiet pool would be a pool without a lot of noise; a place to relax. However, as I understand it, that is not Disney's definition. Their definition is simply a pool without a lifeguard. Since Disney runs the pools I tend to accept their definition.

In addition to no lifeguard - they are also free of scheduled activities, music, and such. I'll never forget being overjoyed at having a Luna Park pool view at BWV until I discovered they had DJ music every afternoon . . .

I would never think of anything at Disney as adults only unless it was specifically stated as 'adults only.'

Dirk

I have 2 kids ages 8 and 11. We try to gauge the "mood" of the leisure pool and adjust our behavior accordingly. The fact is, our kids really like SWIM-not just frolic and play in a pool. They do love the main pool for all of its bells and whistles, but there are times they just want to kick back and do lap- type swimming. On those occasions it means we head to the leisure pool.

I just want to say 'thank you' for your thoughtfulness.

I remember many years ago going to a 'quiet pool' at Dixie Landings. It was a beautiful day. The quiet pool was just that-quiet. Several adults sitting in the sun or floating, very peaceful.
And then came the screaming kids :scared1: .
And there went all the adults.

I know the quiet pool does not mean quiet, but don't people feel bad bringing their screaming kids to a pool that is peaceful?

No lifeguard and no slide (thus, not requiring a life guard).

I just want to say 'thank you' for your thoughtfulness.

I remember many years ago going to a 'quiet pool' at Dixie Landings. It was a beautiful day. The quiet pool was just that-quiet. Several adults sitting in the sun or floating, very peaceful.
And then came the screaming kids :scared1: .
And there went all the adults.

I know the quiet pool does not mean quiet, but don't people feel bad bringing their screaming kids to a pool that is peaceful?

NOPE LOL...

My definition of a quiet pool would be a pool without a lot of noise; a place to relax. However, as I understand it, that is not Disney's definition. Their definition is simply a pool without a lifeguard. Since Disney runs the pools I tend to accept their definition.
This is my understanding of DISNEY's interpretation as well. Apparently Disney has slowly changed the wording on maps and the likes over the years because some people incorrectly assumed quiet was used to suggest they would not be loud. Unfortunately some CM made the same assumption and thus have added to the misinformation at times.

Interesting... I always thought "quiet" meant "quiet". Now I know what "quiet" really means...no lifeguard, no slide... so that makes my HOUSE quiet...NOT! ;)

I'm just wondering if I am being overly sensitive to other people by making my kids stay away from the quiet pools, lest they spoil someone else's pool time.

I don't think you're being overly sensitive, but I don't think you need to keep your children away from the quiet pools either. I can't remember a day at VWL where there weren't kids playing in the quiet pool and it never crossed my mind that they shouldn't be there.

I think if kids are running wild, screaming continuously, cannon-balling near others in the pool....well, that's not great behavior regardless of what pool they're at.

But unfortunately, that sort of thing happens all too often--especially when there is no lifeguard. Often entire families will "hijack" a quiet pool with kids running wild, throwing footballs, frisbees, etc

Sometimes though we get lucky and the "quiet" pool is relatively quiet.

I want to just pose a general question. I am making no judgements either way. When my husband and I travel alone, we like to enjoy the quiet pool at the dvc resorts because there are so few people there and they are, well, quiet. When we have kids with us, we always make them play at the main pool so they don't disturb the quiet pool guests.

What is your intpretation of the quiet pool vs. main pool? What exactly does "quiet" mean?

Never thought about it that way. We just thought they were smaller non themed pools at the resort. We do try to gauge the "mood" when we go. If we see a lot of folks reading or napping on the chairs we'll usually get my kids to go to the main pool. Many times though, if there are other families with kids there, we will let them play. Either pool, we try not to let them run amok.

Sorry parents, but I think the quiet pool is a no kid zone. It's not that I don't like them, not that I don't think they're cute, I just think that there can be places-even at WDW that isn't all about them. I LOVE watching other people's little ones in the park, getting all excited over the characters and all that. However, when I get back to the resort I'd like a little time to relax. If there was no other option, that's one thing, like at HHI or VB. I would never expect kids at a main pool or only pool NOT to scream, do cannonballs and splash around. They're kids, that's what they do-and it can be really fun to watch. However, I do NOT like that behavior at the quiet pools.

Full disclosure here: the youngest kids in my life are now in their 20's. When they were small, we stayed in the big pool at the WDW resorts and they did NOT go in the hot tub if other adults were there. If we were the only folks around, I would take them in, but as soon as another adult came we went back to the main pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter