Your First Cell Phone

Motorola Razr V3

Motorola_Razr.jpg

Remember the phone Julia Roberts had in My Best Friend's Wedding? That was what I had. Have no memory of brand but every time I watch that movie I have fond memories of using it! It was a Christmas gift from my DH

Remember the phone Julia Roberts had in My Best Friend's Wedding? That was what I had. Have no memory of brand but every time I watch that movie I have fond memories of using it! It was a Christmas gift from my DH

Found a clip:

It's easy to spot a Motorola MicroTAC. That was on the market for a decade or so.

375px-Motorola_MicroTAC_9800x.jpg

I remember the first time I'd heard of it was in the late 80s when I saw an article in a printed newspaper about Motorola's new cellular phone. Depending on options, it was about $2500-$3500 back in 1989. But the price dropped really quickly. I think by 1993 I was hearing radio ads where it was selling for $250, even without a service plan.

I resisted getting a phone for a long time. My first was a Motorola flip-pone of some kind that I got for cheap for signing up. It was actually a pretty good phone too. It was silver and blue with lights around the outside of the face.

I don't remember the particular model, but I got a Nokia cell phone similar to this in mid-1997.

nokia6160.jpg

I believe my plan was for 90 free minutes per month plus 10 cents per text. I figured that was WAY more than enough. Then when the first bill came in it was for over $200 because I far exceeded the 90 minutes.

Not too many people in the U.S. had cell phones back then. I visited Hong Kong in April 1997 and was surprised because it seemed EVERYBODY there was walking around with cells, from business executives to the old woman collecting cans from the trash for recycling. It didn't reach that level of saturation in the U.S. until years later.

Mine looked about like this, except it was a lighter gray color. I think I used it about three times lol

Found a clip:

It's easy to spot a Motorola MicroTAC. That was on the market for a decade or so.

375px-Motorola_MicroTAC_9800x.jpg

I remember the first time I'd heard of it was in the late 80s when I saw an article in a printed newspaper about Motorola's new cellular phone. Depending on options, it was about $2500-$3500 back in 1989. But the price dropped really quickly. I think by 1993 I was hearing radio ads where it was selling for $250, even without a service plan.
I always remark on the enormous size of this phone. So funny!

Don't recall the make but a tech had to come to our house and install it in my wife's car about 1990. It was for her work.

My first was a couple of years later, a tech came to my work and installed it in the parking lot. I got 15 minutes a month included + roaming charges.

I always remark on the enormous size of this phone. So funny!

I guess enormous is relative. The MicroTAC was the smallest cell phone in production when it came out. That was the time of bag phones and where the DynaTAC (brick phone) was probably the previous #1 cell phone on the market.

But it had a long time on the market. I remember later in the 90s, either Motorola or some licensee was making cordless home phones styled like the MicroTAC.

My first phone was a Nokia 2110 from 1994. I kept that phone more than ten years, and it worked great for what I needed it to do -make calls. I have a hand me down iPhone 6s and I still primarily use it just for calls (and maybe a little MDE :rolleyes1)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter