• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Your Favorite Stops along I-5

Very true!
Do you ever take 395? Weather permitting, it's quicker and prettier!

Very true!
Do you ever take 395? Weather permitting, it's quicker and prettier!

Kylie, talk to me about this. I hear so many missed opinions as to which route is better. We've only driven down I-5 and came back on 99. Is 395 really quicker? By how much? What about stops? It's going to just be me and MIL driving down with the kids, so I'm nervous about this trip anyway, and adding the complete unfamiliarity of a route never taken compounds the anxiety.

If the weather is good, it's the best way in my opinon.
It knocks off 100 miles!
Getting through Carson City is a pain with all the traffic,, then after Minden/Gardnerville their are some curves along the Walker River.. not bad though.
The town of Bishop is the halfway mark. It has Starbucks, McDonalds, and all the rest. It's a good size town.
Then you have a bunch of little town's after... Big Pine, Independence, Lone Pine, then Mohave...
You run into hwy 17 at Lancaster/Palmdale... both good size towns, then you hit the 5. Your home free!
It's a pretty drive until Mohave, then it's high desert like here.
PM if you have more specific question's. I actually prefer it if the weather is good.

Driving back to SoCal from Tahoe, we stopped at Brookfield's in Rancho Cordova - It was amazing!!! If you are coming from Reno, you MUST stop there for BFast!

Their is one in Roseville as well, off the Eureka road exit! it's excellent any time of the day... Thanks for posting that!

After all this I-5 talk we have decided to fly! I found a great fair on Expedia, leaving 11/23 back on the 11/28
$169.00 reno to LAX!!
John Wayne was $100.00 more per person, not worth it, we will take the Super Shuttle, $16.00 each way.
Sooo Excited!

We drive down from So. Oregon. We live on 97, so hit I-5 at Weed, then usually stay on 5. I think 99 is too slow. We like to leave early evening and stay at the LaQuinta right off the freeway in Stockton - love the Old Spaghetti Factory there - gas and other restaurants around. We leave at 5 am and get in to the LA area before traffic. Also - take 57S at at 210E at Glendora - then 55S to Anaheim. This is much safer and less traffic, so it is faster. You skip heading through the bad part of LA. Our uncle who lives down there has us go this way. Safe Travels to You!

Re Hwy 50 East....OMG The one and only time I have ever gotten car sick.

Don't follow me down I5 as I always end up stopping at the worst places and always swear I'll remember but the next time, I hit it again. Must be where I typically start running low on gas.

Anyone know of an ok motel about 2-3 hours out from Sacramento? I'm thinking about leaving at 6pm and drive for a little while, spend the night and then only have a couple hundred miles to drive the next day.

Not much on I-5 in that stretch - It's about 4 1/2 hrs to Bakersfield, which puts you 2 hrs away for the next day, but is off I-5 a bit. After that, you've got the Grapevine and you're in the LA area! Google Maps takes you down 99. We've stayed in Merced - Mariott Courtyard was good - LaQuinta was OK - don't stay at the Holiday Inn - it's a dive! Good luck with your planning!

Don't follow me down I5 as I always end up stopping at the worst places and always swear I'll remember but the next time, I hit it again. Must be where I typically start running low on gas.

Anyone know of an ok motel about 2-3 hours out from Sacramento? I'm thinking about leaving at 6pm and drive for a little while, spend the night and then only have a couple hundred miles to drive the next day.

If you only want to drive for a couple hours, I'd say Santa Nella / Peas Soup is a good stop. Lots of motels. The Best Western is the best in my opionon, but their is a Holiday Inn Express, stay away from The Ramada!
Pea Soup is a good restaraunt and gift shop.

If you only want to drive for a couple hours, I'd say Santa Nella / Peas Soup is a good stop. Lots of motels. The Best Western is the best in my opionon, but their is a Holiday Inn Express, stay away from The Ramada!
Pea Soup is a good restaraunt and gift shop.

Santa Nella is definately 5 hours from anaheim, it is our first pitstop after we SoCal.

Jack

We drive down from So. Oregon. We live on 97, so hit I-5 at Weed, then usually stay on 5. I think 99 is too slow. We like to leave early evening and stay at the LaQuinta right off the freeway in Stockton - love the Old Spaghetti Factory there - gas and other restaurants around. We leave at 5 am and get in to the LA area before traffic. Also - take 57S at at 210E at Glendora - then 55S to Anaheim. This is much safer and less traffic, so it is faster. You skip heading through the bad part of LA. Our uncle who lives down there has us go this way. Safe Travels to You!

I wanted to let you know that Krispy Kream doughnuts is coming back, it's located next to In-n-out burger.

Santa Nella is more than just a couple hours away from Anaheim (more like 5+ depending on traffic)

Santa Nella is 2 hours away from Sacramento. I'ld stop in Kettelman city or, for the more abitious driver, go to Fresno. That would be 4 hours away from Sacramento.

Santa Nella is definately 5 hours from anaheim, it is our first pitstop after we SoCal.

Jack

Yes it is MORE than 5 hours from Anaheim. The poster wanted something 2 to 3 hours out of Sacramento to spend the night... so I suggested Santa Nella.

My favorite stop along I-5 is Disneyland! It's a great amusement park that really takes you back in time... back to when you were a kid in a candy store, without a care in the world. :thumbsup2

I'll be driving by myself (hopefully I get to go on my hopeful trip) and was wondering how long it takes to get from San Jose to DL.

The route my iPhone gives me is 101 to the 152 to the 5.

I'm kinda scared about the thought of driving in LA!

I'll be driving by myself (hopefully I get to go on my hopeful trip) and was wondering how long it takes to get from San Jose to DL.

It's not like your going to drive on the city streets, you'll be on the freeway. There are times it's crazy busy with rush hour traffic. Relax, you'll be fine but make sure you're playing your "happy" music in your car.

It takes us about 6 hours from Tracy depending on traffic and how many stops we make along the way.

I second the Santa Nella, altho we would drive farther if it was us. We would probably try to make it all the way to Castaic before stopping, and then DBF would say "but it's only a little farther to DL so I'm going to try to make it tonight so we can go in the parks tomorrow" LOL. So ya, if you're looking for a couple hours out I'd stop in Santa Nella, eat at Anderson's Pea Soup and enjoy. :)

We are in Suisun and it takes us about 6-6.5 hours to get to DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter