Your favorite places to take a toddler?

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
Will be doing parks solo with my 20 month old and 5 year old.

Would love to hear your fave places to take a toddler who’s very heavy (so I don’t want to be lifting him up too much or carrying him through crowds or lines).

He can do like an hour in the stroller before getting antsy to roam on his own.

All I can think of is the Seas at Epcot :/ what else am I missing in terms of somewhat contained but open spaces that are fun and safe for toddlers?

For short lines I'm planning on Dumbo (play area), PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress, Living w the Land,

definitely planning on a lot of resort time at the poly! Maybe even some skyliner or monorail resort hopping tours.

Last edited:
At magic kingdom we love Tom Sawyer Island. It doesn’t open until 11 but it’s huge and has tons of space for a toddler to run around. Our son loves the tea cups and dumbo. The dumbo play area doesn’t open up right when the park opens so we often miss it because we go first thing in the morning.

In Epcot there’s a playground in future world they can run around in. Besides that we do the seas like you said. Our son likes riding figment.

Animal kingdom has tons of running room. All of the animal trails are great and the giant boneyard playground. If you go first thing in the morning it’s not as busy because everyone runs to pandora so our son was able to freely walk out of his stroller. He also liked the drums in the pandora area

Following this, we’re not coming back till 2023 but will be bring our little boy and he’ll be coming up to 3 at the time.

Coming back in June with my 2 yr old. Any recommendations for what to do not just at parks, but at resorts or Disney Springs too?

Magic Kingdom - Casey Jr. water area, Dumbo play area, my daughter LOVED the Country Bear Jamboree
Epcot - Nemo aquarium and there is a huge play area after the Figment ride
HS - There is a Disney Junior show and we found a huge area by the Cars show where toddlers can run around
AK - petting zoo

Hi.
Do you have to go on or be in the line for Dumbo to use the play area?

My daughter was 3 when we went and loved animal kingdom! If the line isnt long I would recommend navi river journey she was fascinated! But AK in general was a huge hit.
Also anything boat was a win. Boat based rides, the boat in EPCOT going around world showcase, the boats between parks, the fireworks cruise boat...think it was the wind blowing in her hair.
And depending on where you are staying and what parks you want to visit the skyliner. All three of my kids loved it! Would recommend taking a couple trips on it just for kicks to be able to look out the window and see EPCOT and HS from above.

We visit frequently, and he still struggles with lines and riding in a stroller. Our favorite spots to give him freedom besides the rides:

MK:
Hub grass
Splash pad near Dumbo (even before it reopened, it was a great run around spot with few people to dodge)
Dumbo play area has literally NEVER been open when we've ridden Dumbo! And we ride it every couple of weeks.
Tom Sawyer (though it's a time suck)

HS:
Wide space near Disney Jr, usually not that busy with so much stuff still closed
Disney Jr show
Space outside Cars show isn't as busy

Epcot:
Living Seas
Fountains up near Pixar filmfest - rarely people there and there's jumping water (and benches for mom and dad!)
Back of Morocco and China have both been less frequented with space to run
Trains in Germany are his FAVORITE. We spent over an hour there a couple weeks ago...
Playground near Test Track
Indoor playspace after Figment

AK:
Boneyard (another time suck, because I can't get him to leave willingly)
Walkway between Pandora and Africa
Area where Primeval Whirl was is pretty wide open

We love the playground at AKL & Caribbean Beach. Pop is great for running around with lots of space/fun things to see. Lunch at Captain Cooks or Gasparilla outside looking at the water is perfect (and he can see the monorail, too!). I'm sure there are more I'm just not thinking of.

I forgot to add that we just stayed at the poly two weeks ago and one of our ds’s favorite things was to take the monorail to the contemporary and run in their arcade lol. They have a claw machine with balls in it and it’s play until you win. We ended up getting 3 of them. He also just loved touching all of the buttons and “driving” the cars. We needed other places to go since the poly doesn’t have a playground and it was too cold to swim.

We are locals so we also visit frequently. He stays in the stroller while we are on the move because he does NOT walk well in crowds and refuses to hold hands. Thankfully he's usually fine in the stroller. But I like to give him time out of the stroller too.

Epcot:
1. The Seas - he loves the fish
2. Canada pavilion - he could walk up the stairs in the back all day long. Not to mention the waterfall. (Bring extra clothes :P )
3. Upper area of Imagination pavilion by the jumping fountains. There's usually not a lot of people there.
4. Inside Test Track by the cars. "CARS!!!!"
5. There is usually a playground.
6. Splash area near Mission Space
7. The train in Germany (CHOO CHOO!!!!)
8. Back area of the UK where the maze is

Magic Kingdom:
1. Hub grass!
2. Casey Junior play area
3. Back part of Tomorrowland by the stage. There's usually not a lot of people there.
4. Play area near Splash Mountain

Hollywood Studios:
1. Disney Junior Play and Dance party
2. The empty area leading into Toy Story Land. It leads to nowhere and there's benches you can sit on while they run around.
3. Pretty much every place in Galaxy's Edge, but it's crowded.
4. Area around Echo Lake can be fun to explore (multi-level, planters to sit on)

Animal Kingtom:
1. All of the trails
2. Boneyard - but it can be overwhelming for young kids
3. Rafiki's Planet Watch - it's a long walk from the train to the petting zoo, but it was good to get out energy, and he liked seeing the animals
4. The drums in Pandora. Obviously.

We are locals so we also visit frequently. He stays in the stroller while we are on the move because he does NOT walk well in crowds and refuses to hold hands. Thankfully he's usually fine in the stroller. But I like to give him time out of the stroller too.

Epcot:
1. The Seas - he loves the fish
2. Canada pavilion - he could walk up the stairs in the back all day long. Not to mention the waterfall. (Bring extra clothes :P )
3. Upper area of Imagination pavilion by the jumping fountains. There's usually not a lot of people there.
4. Inside Test Track by the cars. "CARS!!!!"
5. There is usually a playground.
6. Splash area near Mission Space
7. The train in Germany (CHOO CHOO!!!!)
8. Back area of the UK where the maze is

Magic Kingdom:
1. Hub grass!
2. Casey Junior play area
3. Back part of Tomorrowland by the stage. There's usually not a lot of people there.
4. Play area near Splash Mountain

Hollywood Studios:
1. Disney Junior Play and Dance party
2. The empty area leading into Toy Story Land. It leads to nowhere and there's benches you can sit on while they run around.
3. Pretty much every place in Galaxy's Edge, but it's crowded.
4. Area around Echo Lake can be fun to explore (multi-level, planters to sit on)

Animal Kingtom:
1. All of the trails
2. Boneyard - but it can be overwhelming for young kids
3. Rafiki's Planet Watch - it's a long walk from the train to the petting zoo, but it was good to get out energy, and he liked seeing the animals
4. The drums in Pandora. Obviously.
I didn’t think about the Canada pavilion! That’s a great one. My ds loves stairs too

I use a combination of stroller and baby carriers when my kids were that age. Honestly if going by myself, I would even try to take a double stroller so you don't have to worry about walking through crowds with the 5 year old (even if they are a good walker). The baby carrier helps with lines. I think I only braved 1 day by myself when my kids were about that age and we did Epcot and had a good day.

Anyone know if the Casey area if currently spraying water? It's supposed to get HOT this week now and was thinking my twins would love that. But I don't think it's turned on currently?

At the time my 15 month old and my 3 year old all went on every ride they were able to go on.

the only ride that was a little much for the 15 month old was Mickey Mouse at DHS during the dancing/shaking sequence. But she even handled toy story like a trooper.

you just have to listen to them and not force the issue when they are tired or cranky.

Pool time is your friend. We stayed at yacht club and they loved the pool there.

We also brought my Mom for the assist which I recommend if you can make it happen.

Hi.
Do you have to go on or be in the line for Dumbo to use the play area?

No, but if the line extends past the play area, you may have to wait in line to check in at the play area. That has never happened to us, but I haven't been there in the busy season. My kids love the Dumbo playground.

Big Thunder Mountain
OP's youngest wouldn't be able to ride. My son was still a half inch too small on his 4th birthday. There is a cute playground for ages 5 and under near Splash Mountain though.

If you want a midday MK break, you could take the boat to Ft Wilderness to see the horses and play on the playground. My kids are big fans. A couple days a week they have food trucks there, too.

Someone mentioned at AK - Rafiki planet watch. Train ride is cool and then there is plenty of space to roam around. Also stuff to see inside the building like the animal vet area and often they have programs like drawing or other such activities.

If you need some snacks, a quiet place or somewhere to feed your toddler, the baby care centers are great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter