Your Favorite "Meal Replacement" Bars?

Darsa

<font color=deeppink>Has an active imagination<br>
I've sampled a couple of them; one was just "okay" (Slim-Fast snack Bar) and one was "omg-spititoutNOW" (fullbar, ewwww)... in order to hopefully save myself some money in trial-and-error, I'm wondering if anyone has found any bars that they found to be really yummy and actually satisfying?

Thanks! :flower3:

I love Cliff Bars but but they do have a bit of sugar in them. The other bars I like a lot are are the ones from Think Products. Larabars are realy good and probably the best as far as healthy content goes.

When I use the meal bars it is more for a snack between meals then an actual replacement. I have found that Meal Replacement Shakes (I get powders and shake them in a shaker cup) make you feel full longer. I like the EAS Myoplex products, Isopure, Prolab Lean Mass, and Met-Rx.

Most of the products I get from DPS Nutrition. Sometimes I get the bars locally if I can find them but DPS has a wide range of products and almost always the best price. I have no affiliation with them and they don't give me a kickback. I am just a happy customer.

I love Luna bars (chocolate peppermint stick and S'Mores are my favorites). I also like the Clif bars (carrot cake is my favorite). Other than that I haven't liked very many. A lot of them taste, I don't know, chemical-ly? Or the chocolate tastes weird in them. Luna has tons of different flavors. I suggest trying a few out and if you like a few you can usually buy them cheaper online by the case.

I agree with Firedancer, I use mine more as a snack than a meal replacement. If I do eat them in place of a meal I'll usually have other things with it like grapes or carrots. I have a bunch in my car in the console (which doesn't work great in the Summer ;) ) so when I get super hungry and I know it'll be awhile before I get home to fix something I'll eat half of one.

Are you looking for something to grab when you are running late and such, or are you trying to lose weight by eating these on a regular basis?

I suggest you look at the calorie count in many meal replacement bars. For the same number of calories you could have some "real" food. Not a Big Mac, but certainly a piece of fruit and some protein and maybe a healthy carb. Many of those meal replacement bars have 220+ calories. I can have a small meal/large snack for 220 calories.

For example, my breakfast this morning was 1/2 C lowfat cottage cheese (90 calories), 1/4 C crushed pineapple (not sure about calories, but probably under 50), and a Vitamuffin corn muffin top (100 calories). That's about 240 calories and it was mostly real food! And it took me more than 2 minutes to eat it. Waaaay more satisfying than a bar. I got a 1/2 serving of fruit, a serving of dairy/calcium/protein, and some grain (although I don't think Vitamuffins count for a whole grain). That with a cup of tea is delicious and satisfying. And a lot more chewing and swallowing than a bar.

I do keep Luna bars in the house for when DD is running late in the morning. At least I know she has had something reasonable for breakfast. I have had them once or twice, but they are gone quickly and I know that even if my belly is fully enough, my mind is still looking for something else to chew.

If you must eat them frequently, be picky about the ingredients. No HFCS, no trans fats, no preservatives, no artificial sweeteners. Preferably whole grains, nuts, dried fruits, maybe some dairy??

HTH..............P

Yep, basically I'm looking for something I can keep in my desk drawer at work and have as the "in-between" meals. Trying to keep the "5 small meals a day" going is tough ;)

I like Lara bars -if you don't like dried fruit -you probably won't like these
They are gluten free

Lara Bars? That's one I don't remember seeing... are they purchased at regular retail stores?

LaraBars --- some grocery stores have them, health food stores, Whole Foods, you can even buy them on Amazon i think -- and now that I think of it I think we even saw a couple flavors at Walmart last week!

Two of our grocery stores carry Lara bars (in the organic/health food section). They are good for you (although I don't care for them as I don't like dried fruit).

I really like the chewy peanut butter Kashi bars. From a WW perspective, they are only 2 points while it seemed like all the Lara and Luna bars were more like 3 points. The Kashi bars keep me full for a few hours. I also like the Fiber One bars (again, most are 2 WW points). The Fiber One bars are more of a sweet treat for me than the Kashi bars.

cliff, luna, and larabars are my favorite, in that order. i have a sweet/chocolate tooth, so some of the cliff and luna flavors help with cravings!

I Love the LUNA bars, Chocolate Peppermint Stick! I got an 18 pack at Target the other day of mini ones. Sometimes the full size ones are really filling!

Sorry to bump, but I just wanted to say that I got some Slim-Fast bars that were on sale, specifically the "chewy granola chocolate chip" ones, and they're EEEYUKKY! I was very unimpressed with the taste, ended up only eating a third of the bar.

I'll have to go back with the Luna bars; bought a couple of singles to try, and I really liked 'em! :thumbsup2

...ended up only eating a third of the bar.

That's how they get you to lose weight! :rotfl: I agree, I really dislike the Slim Fast bars.

There's another bar called the "Bumble Bar" that comes in only 2-3 flavors but I really like the texture/flavor of them (but they're a little more pricey).

Sometimes I get the Nature Valley granola bars. The Oat N Honey ones are my favorite, they're usually cheaper than some of the meal replacement bars, you get to eat two of them (that are in a package together), and have the same (sometimes better) nutrition facts as a lot of the meal replacement bars. About 180 calories for two. I don't eat them that often though as I think Luna and Bumble bars have better ingredients.

I use to keep the Special K cereal bars in my bag for snacks. I believe that they were 2 WW points. Definately not a meal replacement, but decent enough to tide you over until your next meal. I also like the Nature Valley Granola Bars oat and honey, but I would usually pass on them as I think* they were 4 points for the pack (2 bars). I usually try to save my points for more filling items.

For those of you who are looking to a low-carb alternative Atkins makes "sweet and salty" bars that are, in my opinion, delicious.

I like the Kashi "TLC" bars - my fav is Cherry Dark Chocolate. I don't know if they are a whole meal replacement but I keep them handy at work in case I forget to bring in a lunch. They are 120 cals each, 2g fat, 4g fiber, 5g protein and 24 g carbs.
I don't like peanut butter but have heard good things about their PB ones...

I like the South Beach Diet Chocolate Crispy meal bar. It actually has fiber (4 g) good protein (this is rather confusing because on the box it says 19 g but on the nutritional info it says 12 g) and moderate fat (5 g) with 210 calories. They are actually very good (think chocolate covered rice crispy treat). I have also had the peanut butter/chocolate ones too and they are also pretty tasty.

For a not so "meal" replacement but more of an in between meal snack, the cinnamon raisin SBD bars are very good. Taste a tiny bit like a cinnamon roll.

I'm not a big chocolate lover. Luna makes a Lemon Zest and Blueberry bar I really like. Their Nuts over Chocolate is good because it reminds me of a Watchemecalit (or however the heck you spellit) and it isn't too chocolatey or sweet.

I workout so I have to really work hard to get my calories up sometimes. Luna bars are an easy way to get some protein and calories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter