• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your Expertise Requested - Modifying Single Stay to Split Stay

retlaw_yensid

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from those that may have had a similar situation that they've had to work through. This would be the first time trying this myself, so I don't know what I don't know. :)

We currently have a 7-night stay booked with Copper Creek (our home resort).

The 7-month mark is coming up soon, and we're thinking of modifying the first 5 nights to Riviera when the time comes.

So, my question:
1) Am I able to click Modify and change just the first 5 nights of the original Copper Creek booking to Riviera (leaving the last 2 nights with Copper untouched)?, or
2) Do I have to modify (reduce) the Copper Creek booking to just the last 2 nights and then re-book a separate reservation with Riviera for the first 5 nights?

To clarify, I don't have the points to book a separate Riviera stay first and then reduce the Copper stay second (I need the Copper points to book the Riviera stay).

#1 seems 'safer' in that I don't run the risk of cancelling the first 5 nights of Copper and not being able to get them back if Riviera ends up not being available, but also don't know if #1 is even an option.

TIA for your help!

-Ken

I modified a booking I had at AKL from standard to club level, but that was at the same resort. Not sure how this would work. You will probably have to call member services and have them do it. Check first to see if the 5 nights at RIV are available.

You will risk losing the last two nights of your CCV reservation. In the future, if you think you want to do a split stay, book your home resort as two separate reservations. Then you can use the modify feature without risk. If the resort you want to move to at 7 months doesn't have availability, you can ask MS to combine the two home resort reservations.

If you are willing to take a risk, modify the CCV reservation to the 5 night Riviera reservation when your window opens. If successful, then immediately rebook the last 2 nights at CCV. If there is a waitlist or another CCV owner who books them before you do, you could lose those last two nights. Only you can decide if the risk is worth taking.

Good luck.

P.S. I would not do #2, unless you are positive you can get the Riviera reservation. Those tend to disappear fairly quickly at 7 months, especially the studios. By the time you modify the CCV reservation to free the points, Riviera could be gone. If you do as I suggest, the risk of losing the CCV last two nights is less than losing the Riviera would be because the 7 month window for the last 2 CCV nights isn't open yet. Plus, if you need to waitlist, 2 nights is more likely rocome through than a 5 nights.

#1 isn't an option.

Last edited:
Modifying is all or nothing so if you try it online and changed 5 nights, you’d loose the other 2.

MS may be able to help hold a room, but typically they can’t. What they can do though is see how many rooms are there which can help you decide the level of risk you’d be taking.

We always book as a split from the beginning so we can do a partial change. If we don’t end up don’t it, MS can put it back together.

MS may be able to help hold a room, but typically they can’t. What they can do though is see how many rooms are there which can help you decide the level of risk you’d be taking.
Since MS doesn't open until an hour after online booking is available, that call would have to be made the day before the 7 month window opens.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from those that may have had a similar situation that they've had to work through. This would be the first time trying this myself, so I don't know what I don't know. :)

We currently have a 7-night stay booked with Copper Creek (our home resort).

The 7-month mark is coming up soon, and we're thinking of modifying the first 5 nights to Riviera when the time comes.

So, my question:
1) Am I able to click Modify and change just the first 5 nights of the original Copper Creek booking to Riviera (leaving the last 2 nights with Copper untouched)?, or
2) Do I have to modify (reduce) the Copper Creek booking to just the last 2 nights and then re-book a separate reservation with Riviera for the first 5 nights?

To clarify, I don't have the points to book a separate Riviera stay first and then reduce the Copper stay second (I need the Copper points to book the Riviera stay).

#1 seems 'safer' in that I don't run the risk of cancelling the first 5 nights of Copper and not being able to get them back if Riviera ends up not being available, but also don't know if #1 is even an option.

TIA for your help!

-Ken
Since you're going from nights at CCV to nights at RIV, I'm assuming that you have some unused points to work with given that RIV takes so many more points than CCV. Do you have enough for that first night at RIV? If so, here is what I would do:

1. Book the first night at RIV when the 7-month window opens.
  2. Once that night is confirmed, modify the CCV reservation to drop the first night.
  3. Go back and modify the RIV reservation to add another night.
  4. Modify CCV again to drop the night at the beginning.
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you have 5 nights at RIV followed by 2 nights at CCV.
It's a lot of jumping around, and it assumes that some of the RIV nights won't disappear while you're manipulating your reservations. But it does preserve your CCV nights while you attempt to grab your RIV nights.

Since you're going from nights at CCV to nights at RIV, I'm assuming that you have some unused points to work with given that RIV takes so many more points than CCV. Do you have enough for that first night at RIV? If so, here is what I would do:

1. Book the first night at RIV when the 7-month window opens.
  2. Once that night is confirmed, modify the CCV reservation to drop the first night.
  3. Go back and modify the RIV reservation to add another night.
  4. Modify CCV again to drop the night at the beginning.
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you have 5 nights at RIV followed by 2 nights at CCV.
It's a lot of jumping around, and it assumes that some of the RIV nights won't disappear while you're manipulating your reservations. But it does preserve your CCV nights while you attempt to grab your RIV nights.

I have used this method a lot!

If you have extra point, just book another 2 night stay at CCV. Then MODIFY the original reservation to be at RIV.

BillPA's suggestion may be the best if there is still availability at CCV for those two nights. If you have enough unused points now to make a separate two-night reservation at CCV, you could do so and then at 7-months out modify the original reservation to the five nights you want at Riviera. That course eliminates any risk of losing any nights when making the change. That you have enough extra points right now would be indicated if your desire is to switch to a preferred view studio at Riviera. (Note that if you are instead thinking of switching to a Tower studio or standard view studio, you should be aware the chances are slim for either of those to be open for five nights in a row at 7-months out for any Feb or March time you would be seeking.)

For future reference, if you want to do split stays and avoid the risk of losing part of your reservation when making the switch at 7-months out, you should book two consecutive reservations for your home resort at 11-months out, one for the time you will definitely keep at that resort and one for the time you would want to switch. That way you could make the new resort reservation at 7-months out via a modification of one of the original reservations, and, if it cannot be done due to lack of availability, you just keep the two home resort reservations and have MS merge them into one reservation after it becomes clear you cannot make any change.

Last edited:
You are going to need to modify your CCV down to 2 nights then add on the RIV for 5 nights. You can have two windows open at the same time though so you can have the modification and the new room ready to go.

Anytime you go from 1 to 2 stays though you risk losing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter