• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

your downtown Disney [or nearby] favorite restaurants

Another vote for Splitsville… we love their sushi, and there are a few drinks we really like there also. Everything we’ve ever had there has been super good, and it’s usually pretty easy to walk in and get a table... but the Bananas Foster Beignets from Jazz Kitchen are probably my number 1 top dessert in all of DLR, closely followed by their chocolate bread pudding!

Someone recently described the Disneyland beignets as puffs of air or something like that. It is so true. I have never understood people raving about them. They are so sad.

Jazz Kitchen Beignets For Life.

LOL, that was me! I believe I called them "powdered sugar flavored air."

Jazz Kitchen Beignets, obviously.

I love the pepperoni pizza at Naples. It's perfection. They also make some amazing cocktails.

The burger at Ballast Point is very good.

The Arepas at Uva Bar are fantastic.

At Jazz Kitchen, I really like the ceasar salad with blackened chicken when I want something lighter. The medallions are the best item, though. And the chocolate bread pudding!

At Tortilla Joe's, I always get the fajitas.

Jazz kitchen is our favorite. As has been touched on already, their beignets will make you realize how sad DL's are right now. I'm not a fan of the jambalaya though, blue bayou is far superior. But their gumbo... Oh yeah.

Craftsman grill, Napoli, and ballast point are also mainstays for us.

DTD is Ballast Point.
Nearby is the Packing House, specifically Iron Press; also Golden Road

Splitsville is decent but $$$ for the food you get.

How is the Black Tap? We're thinking about trying it for dinner and/or dessert. Are the burgers good? Shakes as good as they look?

How is the Black Tap? We're thinking about trying it for dinner and/or dessert. Are the burgers good? Shakes as good as they look?

We are there for the first time during our last trip about a month and a half ago and enjoyed it. Burgers were good, we were seated pretty quickly and the milkshakes were tasty. I am not a huge fan of the “throw a bunch of dessert on top of the glass” milkshakes but I still enjoyed myself.

We just had splitsville last night and it was pretty good. Hubby had the fish and chips, I had a salad and the little one had a pizza. No complaints on food but was definitely on the pricey side. All of that and 3 sodas came to $82.

We haven't eaten many places in DTD, but we enjoyed our meal at Tortilla Jo's. We also had a great meal at Trader Sam's. If I had to pick one or the other, I'd pick Trader Sam's.

Not exactly restaurant, but is Earl of Sandwich reopened? It was closed for a while on our earlier trip....Love the Holiday Sandwich

Not exactly restaurant, but is Earl of Sandwich reopened? It was closed for a while on our earlier trip....Love the Holiday Sandwich

Earl of Sandwich has been torn down.

I heard somewhere it may return as a pop up while DTD construction happens, but haven't actually heard that for sure or seen it come to pass yet. So, who knows.

Just an FYI for anyone thinking about Black Tap. If anyone in your group has allergies, I would skip it. They were not very good about accommodating someone's allergies, which would have been pretty easy to do.

question...if you had tried both... do you prefer their beignets or Disneyland's?
You should try both and decide for yourself!

DL are much lighter and less greasy. Also, they often have ones rolled in different flavored sugar and with different dipping sauce- I think they call them seasonal specials. Last fall they had Chocolate Strawberry. There was pink strawberry sugar/flavor on them, and then chocolate sauce for dipping. I think those were hands down my favorite beignets I have ever gotten anywhere at DLR.

The jazz kitchen ones are definitely heavier and more greasy-- they are also good though.

I like both a lot --- but if you told me I absolutely had to pick one, I might go with the DL ones because 1) any Mickey shaped food is generally high on my list; 2) I like some of their seasonal flavors (but that depends on what they have at any current time); and 3) I do like them being a little lighter and less greasy.

La Brea for breakfast, ask to be served by Kim, Naples for dinner, used to be Tortilla Jos but the quality has dropped quite a bit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter