Your Current Covid-Response Practises

We are mostly acting the same as we did back in March. We have eaten out a few times (2 or 3 maybe) but we mostly cook or do takeout, we aren't going back to the gym yet, we are still doing grocery pickup so we don't have to go into the store, we are both working from home with me going in rarely after everyone else has gone for the day, my MBA has moved online only, we don't have people over or go to anyone's house, and we will probably continue this at least until the holidays. We are low risk but still feel like it is a pandemic we should be acting like it. In reality it will probably be next summer before we really get back to normal if it is safe.

My son did start in-person preschool with a lot of new regulations but we will see if that lasts or there is an outbreak and he is back home with us all day.

I will be honest, not much has changed for me throughout this whole thing. I continued to work in a hospital. I grocery shopped, never wiped the handle of the cart down, never had a waiting to open period for my grocery bags or my mail. We've eaten out, ordered out, gone to Target - you name it. I have to wear a mask in public spaces at work and its mandated in stores here so I abide by those rules however i have always been a hand washer, i am just more conscience of it and thats it. I guess I will also so that we have continued to gather with friends and have gone on vacation. I had a family reunion at my house a couple weeks ago and all was well. My adults kids have mostly continued to work (for those that had work and weren't shut down). 1 is a daycare worker, 1 is tool and die and the other programs robots. All out in the public. We limited exposure to my 85 yr old inlaws and they are the ones who broke that by not listening to us when we told them to stay inside and don't shop etc. They have continued to live their lives as well. BTW we are in Michigan.

My husband works from home; I'm unemployed (but not eligible for unemployment--I quit my job in response to covid). We stay home except for essential tasks like grocery shopping (mostly curbside delivery). No takeout or restaurant food since early March. We wear masks, carry hand sanitizer etc. I have had several get togethers with family both at my house and at my parents'. We put two tables up outside and have a picnic with social distancing of 10+ feet. We are breaking this rule tomorrow because it was my daughter's birthday. We're having a meal, but it will be indoors because of all the smoke. I feel okay about it, as my daughter and her boyfriend have been mostly at home. It's risk, but I'd rather not postpone her b-day dinner because she's been pretty down with all the fires and the extended covid stuff.

We are still being extremely careful.

Shopping/groceries/etc: the only in-person shopping I have done since March has been at Publix, which is enforcing social distancing and masks. Compliance seems to be highest at Publix vs. other local chains. I don't and never have wiped down groceries.

Mail: I pick it up once a week, then take it out and quarantine it in a plastic bag for three days before handling.

Restaurants: We're comfortable with curbside pickup, but hell no to actually eating at a restaurant, even outdoors. I don't think I'll be OK with this until there's a vaccine widely available.

Work: My job is essential and I cannot work from home. A huge part of why I'm still so cautious.

Masks: We wear a mask outside of our home, unless we're working out or visiting our "bubble" of friends (3 other couples) on Monday nights. Yes, even to walk the dog or go to the park. Yes, even if we're just headed outside for 10 minutes.

Family: We visited his parents in April - they live two hours away and we can drive there. My parents, siblings, etc. all live 900 miles away and we have not seen them since Christmas. We usually fly to visit them, but might try to drive to see them for Thanksgiving. It sucks not seeing them but I'd rather Zoom with my parents than give them covid.

just had a test for surgery on wednesday.....and they gave me a whole list of behaviors I should practice, most of which is not follow my day to day living that I have been following the past months....so ignoring the list....maybe if it was April...sure, but here it is september and grocery shopping and retail has not given me covid.....basically because I know my people around me and not into the big unmasked crowds.

just had a test for surgery on wednesday.....and they gave me a whole list of behaviors I should practice, most of which is not follow my day to day living that I have been following the past months....so ignoring the list....maybe if it was April...sure, but here it is september and grocery shopping and retail has not given me covid.....basically because I know my people around me and not into the big unmasked crowds.

I'm waiting on surgery too, I am waiting to get my gall bladder removed. For the past 6 weeks I have only left the house a few times, once for a business meeting and the other times for a hospital appointment. From now until my surgery it will be the same. I have a pre surgery checkup and a Covid test before my surgery. I will walk to the hospital and back for them. I work from home and get a grocery delivery once a week. No visitors to my house and I don't visit any houses. Since March I have only eaten in a restaurant once, no take out food. The only human contact I have is with my mom, as I live with her.

My mom is the same, we have basically become shut ins. If I wasn't waiting for surgery I would probably be out and about more. Yes its hard, yes I'm sliding into depression due to loss of independence and loss of social interaction, but I need this surgery. I spent 5 days in hospital due to pancreatitis caused by by gall stones, in the summer. If this is what I have to do, to get well and make sure that I don't end up in ICU from another pancreatitis attack, then so be it. I was lucky with the first pancreatitis attack, the next time I might not be.

I wear a mask where they make you wear it but places like Home Depot don't care so I don't.

Throwing in my PSA here, as the parent of one of those Home Depot employees this summer. It may appear that they “don’t care” - but it’s really that they’re just college kids, afraid you’re the one crazy guy with a gun who’s going to shoot them if they confront you. And they’re not paid or trained enough to be security personnel in addition to cashiers. Please wear your mask in the store.

Normal is gone most likely forever. This pandemic will change our behaviors long term, as it should. As have other pandemics (condom use after hiv/aids is higher than before. And yes, that was considered a pandemic too that lasted over a decade)

to be fair, DH and I are both high risk. We go out very infrequently, have not dined in a restaurant since January and we will not until there is a vaccine.

I recently read we are all in the same storm but not in the same boat. Some are in luxury yachts and others are bailing a rowboat taking on water. Healthy young folks seem to have little concern. (I said seem based on the gatherings getting larger and larger).

I don’t know if I will ever be comfortable in large crowds w/o masks ever again
i don’t think we will ever cruise again (been sick from cruise during normal times)
(And that’s totally on me. My immune system sucks and I have a few illnesses that indicate covid would most likely be fatal for me.

I would feel more secure about the future if we had strong, honest and leadership at the helm.
ymmv and it should.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter