You wish you could report people renting rooms 10 months out?

Do you wish DVC would intake reports of rentals 10+ months out?

• Yes

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • No

Votes: 77 49.7%
  • Do not care

Votes: 63 40.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with people renting their points - if I need to do that someday, I should have the option. I don't particularly like it that people book up popular times at the 11 month mark with the sole intention of renting at a profit using a broker. It's the same thing as people buying up all the tickets to an event to immediately scalp them. The way the website is set up now it's probably fairly easy for a bot to grab and squat reservations. Two-factor authentication will help stop that and make it more fair for the regular owners trying to use their own points.

I don't have a problem with two-factor authentication, where DVC would text a code to your phone...but...that really would be goo dprobably on for North American owners, as many non-US companys charge for text ing, and depending upong the agreement DVC has with a carrier, they may charge DVC for texts send out of the US/Canada, a cost DVC management likely would not want to cover from their share of the dues.

I don't have a problem with people renting their points - if I need to do that someday, I should have the option. I don't particularly like it that people book up popular times at the 11 month mark with the sole intention of renting at a profit using a broker. It's the same thing as people buying up all the tickets to an event to immediately scalp them. The way the website is set up now it's probably fairly easy for a bot to grab and squat reservations. Two-factor authentication will help stop that and make it more fair for the regular owners trying to use their own points.
It's been my experience over my nearly 6 decades traveling around the sun, that whenever you rely on the "fair game" principle, it only lasts until someone figures out how to control the game. Every time.

It's been my experience over my nearly 6 decades traveling around the sun, that whenever you rely on the "fair game" principle, it only lasts until someone figures out how to control the game. Every time.
DVD told everyone how to control the game
you plan ahead, you book early

DVD told everyone how to control the game
you plan ahead, you book early
Look, we're talking about DVC, which, relatively speaking, is about as important as making a hair appointment. My point simply is that there is a way to game every system, and to think otherwise is naive or foolish. DVC just isn't that important that it should need whatever "safeguards" some people seem to feel it needs re: rentals. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Being able to reliably rent your points if you can't/don't want to use them is one of the best aspects of DVC, IMO. I wouldn't change it.

Will it always be that way? Who knows but I wouldn't want Disney specifically restricting it. I'm fine with restricting it to 20+ per year or whatever it is, but not normal renting.

Rentings points is different than renting a room.

Sounds like I didn't word it properly.

I don't have a problem with two-factor authentication, where DVC would text a code to your phone...but...that really would be goo dprobably on for North American owners, as many non-US companys charge for text ing, and depending upong the agreement DVC has with a carrier, they may charge DVC for texts send out of the US/Canada, a cost DVC management likely would not want to cover from their share of the dues.

Didn't read all the posts at this point but 2fa can be done via an app or email as well.

It matters when people do things that negatively impact others "in the club" & it's healthy to discuss! Thanks for bringing it up!

💍 💍
Those with advantages tend to not want to talk about it publicly. I get it. It doesn't mean we won't continue to have civil discourse/talk about it. It just won't be in the same spaces- if shut down/out.

I’ve seen people on social media renting over a dozen weekends at VGC in a single post- sometimes two studios for the same holiday weekend booked at 11 months. Renting points doesn’t bother me in the least. I’ve done it few times and will likely do it again when needed. But those posts never sit right with me, especially with how hard VGC is to get. I’ve been waitlisted at 11 months for Memorial Day weekend. But…. On the flip side, I suppose they could find renters ahead of time who request the booking at 11 months and it would have the same affect on availability.

So...maybe those who don't like it should start vacation planning earlier, and walk their reservaton to be sure they get what they want in a busy holiday season. Not the most convenient option to be sure, but it would solve the perceived problem.

Another contributing factor is having a lot of owners with small contracts. For instance, if you have 300 owners with 100 points or 100 owners with 300 points competeing for 100 studios on the same dates, if there were only 100 owners, they would all get the studio they want, if you have 300 owners, 2/3 of them will be disappointed.

Last edited:
Oh I learned. I walked my VGC race weekend reservation for over a month- started with December 3. But is that the way the system “should“ work? Should we have to log on every day for a month to get a popular weekend? Studios were clearly being walked by December 10ish for Jan 11-14. I’m glad I knew how to play the game and I’m not mad about it. But I could absolutely see VGC owners being frustrated if that weekend was being pre-sold by renters. Now to be fair, I haven’t seen that weekend for sale.

Renting is not at issue here. It’s specifically buying DVC to run a rental business. There’s a big difference between casual renting of extra points and running purely for income, notably that they chase the highest profit margins. If you follow dedicated reservation there’s a clear pattern. Not uncommon is blocks of the same reservations. Likely the same person booking 5 GFV studios over the same dates in Dec. Or 4 BW standard studios with slightly staggered dates. 3 BLT 2BRs, etc. Or as mentioned upstream, a dozen GFV weekends in an owner’s single post. What is the spirit of the no commercial use clause?

To be clear it‘s a nonstarter since DVC is unlikely to act regardless but I doubt there aren’t ways to clarify commercial usage no less legal than previous changes and doesn’t bother owners who even only occasionally use their contract.

I think needing to only use 33% of a contract with the ability to name 2 proxies and get one reset only is pretty fair and would not bother non-business interests. DVC has a soft touch, look how gracious they’ve handled Covid or cancellations due to personal issues. Other timeshares already reacted because spec reservations became detrimental to community interests. Personal use booking patterns are at a disadvantage when commercial operations are pouncing and pulling all of the most popular options asap. Blocks of dates, rooms and destinations were reserved for owners in many cases. Last summer we were looking at properties on LBI and almost every one had notices of such adjustments. Hard to argue when the contract says commercial use is not allowed. Spec renting wasn’t much of a viable business before the ease and security of online bookings became standard. It used to be much harder to offload. Things change.

Reactions: ehh
Renting is not at issue here. It’s specifically buying DVC to run a rental business. There’s a big difference between casual renting of extra points and running purely for income, notably that they chase the highest profit margins. If you follow dedicated reservation there’s a clear pattern. Not uncommon is blocks of the same reservations. Likely the same person booking 5 GFV studios over the same dates in Dec. Or 4 BW standard studios with slightly staggered dates. 3 BLT 2BRs, etc. Or as mentioned upstream, a dozen GFV weekends in an owner’s single post. What is the spirit of the no commercial use clause?

To be clear it‘s a nonstarter since DVC is unlikely to act regardless but I doubt there aren’t ways to clarify commercial usage no less legal than previous changes and doesn’t bother owners who even only occasionally use their contract.

I think needing to only use 33% of a contract with the ability to name 2 proxies and get one reset only is pretty fair and would not bother non-business interests. DVC has a soft touch, look how gracious they’ve handled Covid or cancellations due to personal issues. Other timeshares already reacted because spec reservations became detrimental to community interests. Personal use booking patterns are at a disadvantage when commercial operations are pouncing and pulling all of the most popular options asap. Blocks of dates, rooms and destinations were reserved for owners in many cases. Last summer we were looking at properties on LBI and almost every one had notices of such adjustments. Hard to argue when the contract says commercial use is not allowed. Spec renting wasn’t much of a viable business before the ease and security of online bookings became standard. It used to be much harder to offload. Things change.
You are right, this is a non starter!

DVC members have deeded rights that can’t be changed just because so one didn’t get there own way.

Dvc says an owner can make up to 20 reservations a year for rentals. Clearly, that isn’t just “using up extra points”.

The only way DVC MIGHT do this is as an additional deed restriction in the next round of resale restrictions.

You are right, this is a non starter!

DVC members have deeded rights that can’t be changed just because so one didn’t get there own way.

Dvc says an owner can make up to 20 reservations a year for rentals. Clearly, that isn’t just “using up extra points”.

The only way DVC MIGHT do this is as an additional deed restriction in the next round of resale restrictions.

They do not need to add in an extra verbiage in the deed since it already says no commercial use.

The letters about 20 reservations are not in the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter