You know it's time for a mini-van when . . .

dizdad223

Peoples is peoples
My DW and I have given in and with the birth of our second daughter we agree that with all the stuff that goes with the kids it is probably time for a mini-van.

For others that already have a mini-van, how did you know that it was time for a mini-van? What make/model did you choose? :drive:

We gave into a mini van when we had two kids and a Toyota Corolla and SURPRISE...twins. I didn't want a mini van and fought it till the end. I was literally a month away from having them looking for one.:lmao:
SO we got a dodge and I HATED it. IF I was to get one now I would get a town and country.

We just made the leap to minivan this past March. We have a 2 year old son and a basset hound, plus we love road trips and camping and my Suzuki Grand Vitara just wasn't cutting it. Especially since we are hoping for another little one.

We found a great deal on a 2007 Toyota Sienna LE with only 17,000 miles. We had it narrowed down to a Sienna or an Odyssey. We love this van. So comfortable and easy to drive and park. I grew up riding around in a series of minivans and always said I'd never go there but it just makes sense for us.

We also realized another benefit is we can go places with my parents without taking 2 cars. We also just went camping with another couple and their 2 year old and we all (and our stuff) fit in the van! I've already decided my next car will be another Sienna!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Oh, and an SUV wouldn't work since I was adamant that our basset had to be able to get in and out without hurting her back and without needing my hands to help. I just don't have enough hands!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DH talked me into it.

we have 3 kids and had a Pacifica, and it was fine. Yes, I would have liked more storage in the back and no it wasn't fun trying to climb over the middle seats to get to the back.

So, I told him that if we were getting one, that we were going full tilt and I was going to take him to the bank on it, thinking he would back out. wwrrroonnnggg, total backfire.

So, we got the leather seats, built in options out that wazoo( and we use almost all of them) seat heaters front and back, navigation system, 2 built in flip down screens, etc.

I have to say, I would never ever ever buy another Town & Country.

It has been one of the worst cars we have ever owned and is in constant need of repair, on just like ridiclious things.

Actually the 1st one we owned, we eneded up having to sue the owner of the dealership and he had to buy it back from us, since SC dosen't use the Lemon Law and instead acts under the auto division of the BBB.

It was hell. They had to replace it with another brand new one and I still don't like it. It's the same song and dance, recalls everytime we take it in for service.

Transmission problems like crazy ! Avoid Town & Countrys

I only have two kids, and a hatchback (no minivan) but if I had more than two children or needed to carpool, i'd maybe consider it.

We have four children, with a fifth on the way in September. We have owned a mini-van for two years. Although it is convenient, I absolutely hate the thing. We have considered trading it in and buying a Suburban. However, the Subs are grossly expensive -- aroung $55K for a new one, plus they suck up the gas. I already drive a Ford F250 with a V10. It costs me $400 per month in gas alone.

When we had 2 kids, I drove a Jeep Cherokee. Once we got pregnant with # 3, we purchased a used Suburban. Now we have 4 kids, 2 of which are in car seats, so we wanted the extra room and the 3rd row seating and lots of cargo room. When the day comes for us to get a new (or used) car, we will again go with a Suburban for my car. I love it.

I have never had or driven a mini van, so I cant give you any advice there.

We went to a minivan when the third kid was on the way. We got a used Toyota Sienna. it's held up rather well (it's 11 years old now).

We are actually supposed to pick up our new town & country tomorrow. Even with just one infant we are cramped for space in my Jeep Liberty

I bought a Caravan and my advice is don't. Same with the Town and Country as it's the same vehicle.

After 110,000 miles it's on it's third engine and second transmission. We've almost paid for a second one in repair bills over the life of the van. One time it broke down while on vacation and left me stranded in the middle of Wyoming for a week.

My advice: Buy Japanese.

We bought our first minivan before our first child was born. We have upgraded twice since then, and now have a Toyota Sienna. I love it because we can cart around a lot of kids (ie Girl Scouts, friends), and still cart around a lot of stuff. I love the second row bucket seats and automatic sliding doors and hatch.

Our van drives well and (knocks on wood) has not given us any trouble mechanically. It is AWD, so it sucks up a lot of gas. We are planning on getting a smaller car soon for my commute, but will keep the van for those times when we need it, and will probably let the kids drive it when it's time.

Good luck!

I forgot about our dog, a three year old Beagle. We're leaning toward a Honda Odyssey but have looked at the Chrysler and Toyota as well.

When we had our second child it was time for a mini-van. The first was a Ford Windstar (complete piece of crap), then a Dodge Grand Caravan (better than the Windstar, but not much). Now we have a Honda Odyssey and LOVE it! It has 112,000 miles and is running great. The kids will be off to college in the next couple years, but I'm planning on hanging on to my mini-van until it dies:thumbsup2

We had no problems going to a minivan, even with our small family. I was pregnant with our 2nd when we went on a Christmas trip to visit family. The stroller, the pack and play, presents, our stuff. We knew another child and a dog simply weren't going to fit in our current vehicles. Even with just two kids, it was great for camping, etc.

This was years ago. We had a Dodge Caravan first, now we still have a Mazda MPV. I'd highly recommend the Mazda, but they don't make it anymore. We'll get rid of the van when we're empty nesters, not before.

When we added twins to the mix of DH, myself, MIL (who lives with us) and two big German Shepherds. I loved my Chrysler Town and Country LXi and if they still made it in AWD, probably would have bought another a few years ago. It never required anything but basic maintenance.

We are getting a Nissan Quest next month. Mainly because our twins are due in October & we can't fit 3 car seats across the back seat of our car. (DD is still in a carseat)

I chose Quest because my last car was a Dodge & it was piece of you-know-what-. I refuse to buy another Chrysler product.

Quest seems the next least expensive minivan, and I've heard good things about them.

I owned a 5 passenger SUV until my kids were 9, 8 and 6 :dance3:; then I bought my mom's used minivan (the price was right) and came to like it. I'm on my 2nd one (I had a Quest, now a Grand Caravan) but am really out of the mini-van world. (In Oct, the last kid in the house witll have his license so no need for a mini-van anymore) I really love my Caravan (it's an 02) and we've traveled all over in that thing..lots of room and pretty comfortable. When you are gettin' kids in and out of carseats and lugging strollers and all the misc stuff that goes with kids, I think mini-van is the way to go, unless you can afford a Suburban or other full-size SUV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter