You just got an upgrade!?

pjweaver

just happy to be here
My wife and I are 75 days from our 10 day trip to the Boardwalk, and I had a really odd thought. If they overbook the resort or something got messed up, what upgrade would I be willing to accept?

I know this is a highly unlikely event, but we picked BWV for a specific reason (walking into Epcots international gateway and DHS), so changing resorts would not be ideal. We decided we would only accept Poly or Contemporary.

Just curious as to what realistic (let's exclude things like upgrade from All Stars to GF) upgrades you would take.

10 days at the Boardwalk sounds amazing! We are currently waitlisted for 2 nights there during a 5 night stay in November & I would love for it to come through.

I think I'd agree with what you said - an equivalent deluxe, no room size upgrade would be necessary for me.

I read the other day in a FB group about a woman whose MIL was there with 4 grandkids, staying at AKL. They arrived and I think they had a studio or some type of room that would accommodate all 5 of them.. whatever the case, their room wasn't ready and by 10 PM they STILL didn't have a room. They overbooked and were trying to send them to a Value for the night.. No way, no how!

In another sense, another woman in the group posted that if their room at Pop Century wasn't acceptable, she would demand to be upgraded to a monorail resort, no exceptions.. yeah, uh huh, good luck w/ that one, lol.

I would think something at least comparable - so in your case I think something at the Beach Club or Yacht Club would work ... and then something extra, be it category upgrade or bonus fast passes or something

If I were at any of the Epcot resorts, I'd only accept an upgrade to another Epcot resort since the reason I book them is to walk to Epcot. I'd have no interest in a MK resort, I've often been able to find them for less than the Epcot resorts but I spend the majority of my time at Epcot and I'm usually there for either F&G or F&W. I think I'd consider a down grade and a refund before I'd consider moving to one of the MK resorts.

What's funny is that I've actually seen several people get upgraded to the GF from mods and values....from overbooking issues to critical room problems.

In your scenario, while BC and YC would be the closest options and seem more comparable, the GF seems to be the most common resort to be bumped to when they overbook. Not sure how often it happens, but I've seen a handful of TRs over the years where this has happened. I wouldn't mind being shifted to the GF, but I'd prefer the Contemporary.

We actually had something like this happen in January. We were booked for 6 nights at the yacht club. They called us the day before our trip and asked if we would move to the beach club. We booked CL at yacht and were supposed to be CL at Beach Club. When we arrived club level rooms were full so they put us in a first floor lagoon/quiet pool view room with CL access. We could watch the Star Wars fireworks from our room. I thought that was a nice upgrade.

I know GF is supposed to be the flagship, but it just doesn't do it for me.

I should have clarifies Contemporary IF it was in the main building. Taking boats to FW & WL I saw some of the rooms at the far end of the resort.

I've never been fortunate enough to get any upgrades, so if it became necessary due to some "issue", I'd be happy if it was at a comparable level view/resort, etc. like everybody has said. And if it ever happened "just because" I'd simply be overjoyed and grateful. :)

I've never heard of an upgrade and not being better. Resorts fill and higher priced rooms may not. They will put people in better rooms for no extra cost in order to sell out the rooms they were in to someone else.. I've never heard of anyone getting offered something really far away (unless it's a renovation upgrade). it's usually another epcot resort for example. Wilderness lodge was offering some really nice upgrades to get people away from construction (and really nice discounts for people that really wanted to stay).. but it's renovation and your in or near construction so that's a harder one to decide if it's really the resort you want.

Sometimes it's just telling disney honestly whats up. "I really want to be in beach club for its proximity to epcot" and they may have some rooms to upgrade you there instead of moving you to another resort. (or you not accepting the upgrade to get the room they need)..

I know GF is supposed to be the flagship, but it just doesn't do it for me.
I agree. The Contemporary was the original flagship resort, before the GF was built, and I think it still should be. Yes, you can say that the GF is more "elegant," but there is something iconic and uniquely Disney about the Contemporary that sets it apart.

I agree. The Contemporary was the original flagship resort, before the GF was built, and I think it still should be. Yes, you can say that the GF is more "elegant," but there is something iconic and uniquely Disney about the Contemporary that sets it apart.
This mentality confuses me at DLR also.
Surely the Disneyland hotel is the Flagship hotel with all the history it holds. Not sure why the Grand Californian is the Flag though?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter